Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

LOL: Proposed Statue for Oklahoma

matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur BodhisattvaSuburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
So the neo-satanists are trying to get a statue of Satan on the statehouse steps

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/08/satanists-oklahoma_n_4408486.html

Maybe a Buddha statue too? I checked the maps, there is one county in OK with 1 to 4% Buddhists.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/10/most-and-least-buddhist-cities-in-america_n_2098813.html

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I remember back in the 1950s, in my grandmother's home town of Naples, New York, there was what was purported to be the devil's head on the side of a barn. Same Satan?
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    vinlyn said:

Same Satan?

Not sure... possibly-- not sure how magic works across religious boundaries ;-).

There is Satanism as an imaginary Christian heretics' group where everyone does the opposite of what the pastor says, and then there is Satanism that is an attempt to revive pre-Christian pagan religion, sort of like Wicca.

The revival of a long gone religion sounds hard, and drawing a lot on what the Christians had to say about it (condemnation of paganism also accidentally described it for history's sake) still lets that new religion be defined by Christianity.

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    And HuffPo says Oklahoma City is the #8 city for the most Buddhists. That seems like a wonky statistic though. I wonder if anyone has reliable numbers.
  • I want to see a statue of the flying spaghetti monster (from pastafarians)
    matthewmartin
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    thats a cool looking statue, why not? they should have a "hall of belief" and put all of the stuff in there.
    matthewmartin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    "Get behind me Satan".
    Just what is it with Judea/Christians
    and their missionary positions.