Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in Birmingham, UK

Hi

I'm seeking the opinions of anyone that has been to or researched any buddhist centres in Birmingham. I have been practising buddism for almost 2 years, but it is very much a private thing and although I don't hide it if anyones enquires, I don't mention the subject unless asked. I've realised the reason I think I haven't been to any centres is because I have my own idea of what buddhism is and how I feel connected to it (from reading/listening to audioboks, looking on the net) and slighty worried that by going to a centre and learning more it may change my 'perception'. This is crazy as part of my practice is supposed to be about not being attached lol, so I've decided to give it a try but would like some advice from anyone about the following centres faily local to me:
FWBO
Dechen Sakya Buddhism
Diamond Way
New Kadampa

I'm leaning towards the first one the most. I also actualy like the sound of the New Kapampa also, but worried about all the cult warning I've read about and the alleged grudge with the Dalai Lama, although all the news on that seems to be at least a few years old.

Any help would be lovely. Thanks in advance :-)

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hi, Spaceman.

I'm extremely wary of New Kadampa myself after I did some research on it. I've put it on my "Absolutely not" list. But that's all I know about your list.

I know what you mean about worrying that your perceptions and understandings may be changed if you join a group. I feel that way too, sometimes. But then I remind myself to keep a flexible mind and so on. I think it's probably a good idea to check out different schools and traditions of Buddhism until you find the one that feels right. You'll probably know it when you find it, right? Listen to your intuition/instincts, keep your heart, mind and eyes open and you won't go wrong.
  • edited November 2006
    I made a choice recently on which class I was going to attend. When it came to it though I bottled out for some reason, I even made the trip over to the centre but for some reason I became very nervous and felt uneasy so ended up going home. Still trying to work out why I felt so nervous, I do a lot of things on my own and don't usually worry too much about it.
    Would still really like to go, maybe I’ll give it another try. Anyone else had a similar experience?
  • edited November 2006
    yea i've looked at ones near me.. consequently i live relatively near birmingham.. I'm in warwickshire.. I find it offputting..

i think the whole orange robes, bald head although intended to disentigrate false indentity, i believe that it creates one itself.. puts me right off.. i prefer to lead my own way and read books, teach myself. Its kinda like i don't feel i'd fit plus i don't believe in belonging to groups but being me.. and i doubt most students could even accept that. Xing Ping is a gd example.. claiming i belong in a loony bin.. *rolls eyes*

plus i don't really want classes per-say.. i find it all off-putting.. i don't really trust eduacation in any form, nor do i want to be in a class with middle aged ppl.. * rolls eyes again * more out of age difference and nothing in common..

to put it plainly they partially disturb me.. any group of ppl who share similar views and follow a small group or single person.. the middle path surely can't come across
  • edited November 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    plus i don't really want classes per-say.. i find it all off-putting.. i don't really trust eduacation in any form, nor do i want to be in a class with middle aged ppl.. * rolls eyes again * more out of age difference and nothing in common..

I'm sorry, but what makes you think they'd all be middle-aged people?
    I went to a weekend introductory retreat at Throssel Hole (main UK temple of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives) last year and there were people of all ages there - including one guy that was still going to school.
    I also attend the temple in Reading and once again, there are people of all ages going there.
    Celebrin wrote:
    any group of ppl who share similar views and follow a small group or single person.. the middle path surely can't come across

At the end of the day, when you boil it all down, isn't that what Buddhists are? A group of people following the teachings laid down by a single person?

Please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm not. I'm just interested in why you came up with these opinions.

Anyhow, fair play to you for going it alone and finding your own way. I guess many of us started out that way. Personally I can recommend the Buddhist Society's home-study course in Buddhism. It's £30 and covers alot of ground. Details are here if anyone's interested : http://www.thebuddhistsociety.org

As for Spaceman's original question, the OBC (a Soto Zen tradition) have a meditation group in Birmingham and a temple in Telford (not sure how far away that is from you). I met Rev Master Saido from the Telford temple a few weeks ago and he has a great way of getting teachings across, really down to earth.
    They have a website here Telford Priory

Details for the of all the meditation groups, including Birmingham, can be found on the Throssel Hole website here : Throssel Hole
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hiya, Frizzie! Good to see ya!
  • edited November 2006
    Hello cheeky!
    :wavey:
  • edited November 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    At the end of the day, when you boil it all down, isn't that what Buddhists are? A group of people following the teachings laid down by a single person?

Please don't think I'm having a go at you, I'm not. I'm just interested in why you came up with these opinions.

I think you get a biased view of life and everything if you spend so much time in the company of specific ppl.. if u spend time and adapt your beliefs around one specifc area.. like a church in christianity or a temple in buddhism. This becomes an indentity..

all im saying, is that in order to live balanced.. you have to breath in all aspects of life and all ppl.. In going to a temple and spending a lotta time learning there.. is it possible you are shuttign teh rest of the world out?

1 master is not enough but the entire world, and i don't want to get caught up like many do where i see myself as only fitting in with a specific group of ppl.

We learn things from not only the buddha.. we acknowledge his teachings, but the actual learning is done by ourselves. I don't believe the buddha learnt from 1 person or ' selection of ppl '.

I can see benefits and negetive things too.. to pick up.. I'm just addressing that.

Temples can fuel division and an indentity problem.. not sayign this will happen to all, but again i keep my distance because of it. I'd rather face everything.. in a world and enviroment full of imperfections.. in a perfect enviroment change can't happen.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for replying Celebrin, you make some good points there.
    To be honest, I did exactly the same when I was exploring pagan religions in my early 20s. There was no way I was going to get involved in any organised groups as I didn't want to get tied down to any one tradition. I was, as they say, an "eclectic solitary practitioner". It was very much a case of not wanting to get involved with a group of "crazy pagans" even though I considered myself one at the time!
    It is very important (in my opinion) to get a broad knowledge before committing to a particular group. I studied Buddhism for part of a degree that I'm doing as well reading loads of generic books on the subject before deciding that Zen (Soto in particular) was the right path for me.
    I wish you all the best in your studies.
    Adrian
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Birmingham is, of course, one of the hell realms!
  • edited December 2006
    Birmingham is, of course, one of the hell realms!

LoL.

English humor. I admire it.

Indeed, some places in this world make a strong case for the hell realms to be immanent.:)
  • edited March 2007
    When researching the Dharma, it is difficult today for many reasons. One of which, is the sheer proliferation of groups claiming to teach the Dharma.

For various reasons, about 10 years ago, I was involved in an investigation into the doctrines, teachings and methodologies of the FWBO, and the New Kadampa Tradition.

Both might be termed 'cults', if the term is defined as 'a set of rules designed to separate one from mainstream society.'

FWBO.
    The assumed founder has been involved in anumber of scandels of a sexual nature. The doctrine of this group is of its own creation. They claim to be 'Western', whilst mimmicking the Eastern Sangha, and even giving themselves Sanskrit names. They have been investigated due to the allegation of 'enforced' celibacy, etc. Which is ironic, when one considers the rumours surrounding the founder.

New Kadampa Tradition.
    The strategy of this group involves recruitment through public classes. The classes are free, although a donation is asked for. A speaker (not a monk or nun), gives a well planned talk about an aspect of the Dharma. The talk is recorded for two reasons; 1) participants may ask for a copy, and 2) the content of the talk is vigourously examined back at the designated headquarters - usually a large building or set of buildings. I attended when a talk was given saying that disabled people were being punished by their karma, as a result, could not find enlightenment. I do not endorse this kind of misreading of the Dharma.

Be careful in your search. Thank you.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    I was reading the bio of Sangrakshita on Wikipedia. Scary...

Palzang
  • edited March 2007
    Yes, here is more information:

FWBO Files
    http://www.fwbo-files.com/
  • edited March 2007
    i saw a man pick cigs off teh floor so he could smoke them himself.. just like 2 hour ago in birmingham..

as i exited the airport and left new street station i realised how much i hate england
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Thousands and thousands would aspire to be an Englishman or Englishwoman.

It is a wonderful place and I have many beautiful memories of it. Also, compared to Americans, the English are truly Stoic and refined people.

There will always be an England. This I believe. The alternative is too sad to contemplate. Like taking the most beautiful porcelain piece you have and smashing it into a priceless antique mirror.

:unionjack:
  • edited April 2007
    didn't you know jesus was an englishman?
    edited April 2007
    Celebrin wrote:

Indeed. He opened the batting for England and scored the winning try at Twickers.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2007
    Celebrin wrote:

No, he wasn't, and I can prove it. A poll taken a few years ago in the US asked people to list their favorite American. The leading answer? Jesus.

No, I'm not kidding, unfortunately.

Palzang
  • edited May 2007
    sadly i remember u saying that.. maybe Jesus is a citizen of many countries, it would make sense.. cus im pretty sure hes english too.. so america,english,israeli... hmm has he been anywhere else?

and damn is he old.. if hes american im presuming jesus lived til he was about 1800 years old.. he must have been like those early bible entrys.. noah and the like.. if u dont sin u live to be 3000 years old
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Well, Jesus is an immigrant to America. He had to bring the Book of Mormon over...

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    OH, to be in England now that April ’s there
    And whoever wakes in England sees, some morning, unaware,
    That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
    Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
    While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
    In England—now!

And after April, when May follows
    And the white-throat builds, and all the swallows!
    Hark! Where my blossom’d pear-tree in the hedge
    Leans to the field, and scatters on the clover
    Blossoms and dewdrops—at the bent spray’s edge—
    That ’s the wise thrush: he sings each song twice over
    Lest you should think he never could re-capture
    The first, fine, careless rapture!
    And, though the fields look rough with hoary dew,
    All will be gay when noontide wakes anew
    The buttercups, the little children’s dower -
    Far brighter than this gaudy melon-flower!

Robert browning, "Home thoughts from abroad"

After having spend six years in France, and experiencing my birthday in April, as I do, each April of every year I spent there, would remind me of this poem, and I can vouch for its sentiment.

To my mind, there is something breathtakingly beautiful about pink and white blossom against a clear azure sky..... and you really do not get this kind of Spring anywhere else....Trust me. I have been places, and Spring in England has a unique splendour about it.

If you see ugliness everywhere, it is a sign that beauty is deserting your heart......
    edited May 2007
    My brother and I used to be woken, each morning, by our mother or father reciting poetry to us. Pa preferred Omar Khayyam but Ma loved:
    A. E. Housman [SIZE=-1](1859–1936).[/SIZE] A Shropshire Lad. [SIZE=-1]1896.[/SIZE]
    LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now
    Is hung with bloom along the bough,
    And stands about the woodland ride
    Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
    Twenty will not come again,
    And take from seventy springs a score,
    It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
    Fifty springs are little room,
    About the woodlands I will go
    To see the cherry hung with snow.

Of 'threescore and ten' I have only some 6 left so I must truly make the best of this wonderful time.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Ah, England!

I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
    When all at once I saw a crowd,
    A host, of golden daffodils;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze...

Wordsworth's beautiful country and Shakespeare's too.
    And Keats' and Shelley's, just to name a few.

Beautiful places bring forth beautiful people...
    If you cannot go there for a while, you just gotta go there in your mind.

Beautiful memories...
    edited May 2007
    Ano5ther great favorite of mine (please note the US English spelling:

Emily Dickinson

A light exists in spring
    Not present on the year
    At any other period.
    When March is scarcely here

A color stands abroad
    On solitary hills
    That silence cannot overtake,