Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thailand doing worse?

2»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Of course. But I don't see that anywhere. So we can only hope.

As Churchill said: "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2014
    vinlyn said:

Of course. But I don't see that anywhere. So we can only hope.

As Churchill said: "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

Yes I love that quote.

I am not talking about abandoning what we now have but perhaps using the voting system to bring about smaller changes to even the playing field.
    I'd just like to start with the small things like limiting the amounts that a corporation or person could politically contribute. Or outlawing lobbyists. Or whatever might start moving the all mighty dollar off the top of our altars
    I feel like you're trying to pick an argument, where there's no argument to pick.
  • Yes it is getting worse, a lot worse. Each 'side' seems to be stepping up the violence with each retaliation and all of this before the red shirts rally on the 29th. I doubt the election will even go ahead on the 2nd.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/699563-nsptr-leader-killed-during-election-blockade-rally/
  • You know, in conflicts like this, anyone not caught up in the cause can see where it's going. Neither side is going to compromise now. Too much anger has built up. People have been martyred. So what would it take, right now, to break the cycle of increasing violence?
  • Cinorjer said:

You know, in conflicts like this, anyone not caught up in the cause can see where it's going. Neither side is going to compromise now. Too much anger has built up. People have been martyred. So what would it take, right now, to break the cycle of increasing violence?

Military coup.
  • robot said:

Cinorjer said:

You know, in conflicts like this, anyone not caught up in the cause can see where it's going. Neither side is going to compromise now. Too much anger has built up. People have been martyred. So what would it take, right now, to break the cycle of increasing violence?

Military coup.
    This is the only thing I can see working, that or some heavy words from a certain someone, but I doubt that will happen. Whatever does happen it is going to be turbulent and violent, be it a coup or more clashes or civil war, it has gone too far now in my opinion.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited January 2014

robot said:

Cinorjer said:

Military coup.
    This is the only thing I can see working, that or some heavy words from a certain someone, but I doubt that will happen. Whatever does happen it is going to be turbulent and violent, be it a coup or more clashes or civil war, it has gone too far now in my opinion.
    Sigh. I will light the candle at my altar today in compassion for all the people there who are caught up in the cycle of anger and violence and who have been or will be killed before it's all over.

Democracy without a strong tradition of individual rights only results in a tyranny of the majority. That willingness to share power does not come natural to societies. Heck, even in America the Republican White House who ruled for a few years openly talked about their plans for rigging the system to ensure a "permanent Republican majority" and people just nodded and accepted this call to end our two party system and democracy of shared power. Fortunately, a strong tradition of individual rights did not allow them the time to dismantle it completely.

I will pray that the rightious warriors everywhere today take a deep breath and remember that their enemy also has children who will cry over the grave of their father.
    ThailandTomJeffrey
    Just chatting with my ex from Bangkok. He said never before did he see, "people do hate each other, sister brother , father mother, friend"