Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ko Te Kore - Maori 'Void'

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited November 2006 in Faith & Religion
While reading up on Maori myth and legend for a book club meeting this week on The Bone People by Keri Hulme, I came across the following creation story. The site also contains a sound file which I find deeply awe-inspiring.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Uh, Simon...

It might just be me, but there's no link on your post, if there was supposed to be one...
  • edited November 2006
    But on another note, is the book any good? Would you recommend it? I glanced at the back cover of it over at borders.com, and it sounds interesting. That, and I've had a soft spot for Maori culture and all to do with New Zealand ever since I spent some time over there. Oh, and I was also amused when I noticed that you're one of the characters.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I love the Maori!!! (Especially the War Dance - of course!)

Unfortunately, I find their policy of learning about Maori culture only when in Maori ground pretty much limiting their conservation efforts.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    The Void obviously ate my link, so here it is again:

Maori Creation

As to whether THe Bone People is a good book, that is a matter of some difficulty to me. I am persevering with it (reading is a bit hard at the moment. The ravages of age!) but I am finding her mix of styles, shifting p.o.v.'s, use of Maori words in among odd neologisms and general layout break up the flow. I shall be interested to hear what my fellow readers have to say about it.

I agree that Maori spirituality is fascinating, although I finds the tendency towards genocide in their history more than a little unsettling.
  • edited November 2006
    Has anyone else seen Whale Rider?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Yes, good movie. How about Once We Were Warriors? Not a happy happy like Whale Rider, but very good.

Palzang