Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about the first turning of the wheel of the Dharma (recognition)

2»

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I think it is valuable in that it shows clearly the limits of any Sutrayana/Vajrayana rapprochement.
    There comes a point where we go down different paths..hopefully with no ill-will.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I found this interesting

'Nibbida' Defined by Andrew Olendzki.'

I am afraid you will need to google it yourself..It apparently needs an ap I haven't got with Chromebook.

Dr Olendzki is a senior lecturer at the Barre Centre For Buddhist Studies.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2014
    wangchuey said:

Perhaps the words disenchantment and dispassion are unappealing to some because it can mislead people to think that Buddhism is a form of nhilism. I think those words are fine.

I think they're fine too. They appear in transcendental dependent arising, eg as here in SN12.23: Though it seems that here they arise in dependence on insight, not in dependence on suffering, which probably argues against the idea that they're based on aversion. So here they seem to be a result of practice, and not a motivating factor..I'm contradicting what I said earlier, but oh well, that's life.;)

"I declare that there is a supporting condition without which it does not arise... What is this supporting condition? Liberation... Liberation has a supporting condition...: Dispassion... Dispassion has a supporting condition...: Disenchantment... Disenchantment has a supporting condition...: Knowledge-and-vision-of-things-as-they-are... Knowledge-and-vision-of-things-as-they-are has a supporting condition...: Concentration... Concentration has a supporting condition...: Happiness... Happiness has a supporting condition...: Tranquillity... Tranquillity has a supporting condition...: Rapture...Rapture has a supporting condition...: Joy... Joy has a supporting condition...: Faith...Faith has a supporting condition...: Suffering..."
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

I think it is valuable in that it shows clearly the limits of any Sutrayana/Vajrayana rapprochement.

A bit of rapprochement within Sutrayana would be a nice change.;)
  • I won't intrude on family grief Norman. : )