Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kundun - Film

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited November 2006 in Arts & Writings
As requested, here is a brief review of Kundun, a film about the childhood and adolescence of Tenzin Gyatso, Fourteenth Dalai Lama of Tibet.

This film (1997) operates at a number of levels. It is, first of all, the astounding story of a culture which has now been almost completely destroyed. Whilst not shot in Tibet itself for political reasons, it gives a real feeling for the open plains and great mountains of the Land of Snows. Much of it was shot in Morocco (like The Life of Brian). It is also a spiritual classic, filmed with reverence but without 'religiosity'.

The script by Melissa Mathison can be read, in full, at: http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/kundun.html
It is based on His Holiness's own, second, autobiography, Freedom In Exile (1990) and, despite telescoping the chronology by a few years, is remarkably faithful to the book.

One aspect of the film which attracted a lot of attention is that Scorcese used unknown actors, most of them native Tibetans, which means that, unlike the disappointing Seven Years in Tibet, one is not distracted by big name/big face stars. The downside of this is that the accents sometimes becaome a little hard to follow; the DVD comes with the possibility of subtitling which is a great help. In addition, there are no gratuitous explanations of Buddhism or Tibetan culture: the audience have to do that work for themselves, which, to my mind gives even more depth to the work.

Those of us who admire Scorcese are aware of the vital role that music plays in his films. If you doubt it, try watching Taxi Driver with sound off and subtitles on! Kundun is, I think, the first film in his work where the music was written to order. The minimalist composer Philip Glass has given us deeply moving sounds from horns, percussion and voices (Gyuto monks).

Comments about the music and tracks can be heard at http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/kundun.html#tracks

More details of the fim are at:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119485/

The final scene, as the young Dalai Lama arrives, very weak and ill after escaping over the mountains into India, moves me to tears every time:

The Indian soldier steps closer and, knowing he is breaking
protocol, he whispers:

SOLDIER
With all respect, may I ask?
Who are you?

The young man smiles at the Soldier - a man who looks like
the lead soldier come alive.

TENZIN GYATSO
What you see before you is
a man. A simple monk.

SOLDIER
Are you the Lord Buddha?

Pause.

TENZIN GYATSO
I think I am a reflection,
like the moon, on water.
When you see me, and I try
to be a good man, see
yourself

INT. A ROOM IN INDIA, FOOT OF THE HIMALAYAS DAY

Tenzin Gyatso unpacks. He is dressed in maroon robes, his
arms bare.

He places some books on a table next to his tinkering
equipment. He lifts a heavy parcel.

EXT. TERRACE DAY

CLOSE on the young man's beautiful hands as he sets up his
telescope.

The tripod is erect. The body is attached. The eyepiece is
adjusted.

And then, this boy, this man, this simple monk, aims, to
takes a look, at a bigger world.

On a black screen, a card reads:

The Dalai Lama has not yet
returned to Tibet.

He hopes one day to make the journey.

This film so inspired my 9-year-old son that we made the journey to Dharamshala in Northern India to pay our respects to this extraordinary man.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    Simon, you beat me to it. :)

I really liked the movie. I did not know it was based on a book HHDL wrote, it makes it that much better for me now that I've read your review. All the characters were great I thought. Like Simon says though, the accents at times are a bit much but you can get through them. I bought the movie a while ago and watch it quite frequently. Thanks for the great review Simon!
  • edited November 2006
    Oh, Simon, I don't think I ever told you how much I loved Kundun! I could watch it over and over. It was so good and I am so glad you told me to watch it. My husband and I really enjoyed it.
  • edited November 2006
    Does anyone know what His Holiness thinks of the film?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone know what His Holiness thinks of the film?

When we asked him, he just smiled, nodded, made a comment in Tibetan to his secretary, who chuckled, and changed the subject. Make you you will of that: he is the most "ego-less" person, yet the most totally present that I have ever met or, I imagine, I ever shall.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I loved "Kundun" as well. The only things I didn't like were the music and sound quality. I found the music to be distracting and irritating and the sound quality was poor, especially during the dialogue. When I was watching it I kept thinking to myself "I'd love to see this film with a different soundtrack." I felt the same way when I watched "Blade Runner" again recently. The music sounded so dated. I'd like two copies of both films, each with new soundtracks.
    edited November 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I loved "Kundun" as well. The only things I didn't like were the music and sound quality. I found the music to be distracting and irritating and the sound quality was poor, especially during the dialogue. When I was watching it I kept thinking to myself "I'd love to see this film with a different soundtrack." I felt the same way when I watched "Blade Runner" again recently. The music sounded so dated. I'd like two copies of both films, each with new soundtracks.

On the music, B., we shall have to agree to differ. It is quite true that Philip Glass is not to everyone's taste. One comment on the site to which I linked about the music is interesting in that the writer loved the music as soundtrack but finds it less engaging on its own. I have the CD and I think I would agree: the music is so 'attuned' to the visuals that, without them, it is just too spare.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I'd like to hear it on its own someday, and see the movie again to see what it was, exactly, that put me off the sound of the film. When I think about it now I'm not sure if it was the sounds or the silences that I didn't like...I don't know. It was something. Whatever it was, was enough to make me take notice. I like a soundtrack I either don't notice while I'm watching the film or one that's so prevalent it takes on its own personality, a la "The Big Chill" and so on. I'm pretty picky and critical when it comes to film. I don't know why. I guess because I can be. lol! But I know it IS an indulgence...

Speaking of "Seven Years in Tibet" though, I must say that I disliked that movie quite a lot. And I know why; Brad Pitt. I didn't believe a word he said. It was filmed beautifully but spoiled by his overwrought performance. I usually quite like him, but not in that one. I saw it a long time ago but I still vividly remember forcing myself to sit through it just for the cinematography. I love picking movies apart. Can you tell?
    edited November 2006
    Mr Pitt was, indeed, one reason for my dislike of Seven Years In Tibet, although my dislike of Heinrich Harrer was much greater. It is a tribute to Tenzin Gyatso that he not only survived but also went beyond the attitudes of this unpleasant individual. I have, however, had to revisit my attitude to Harrer since Gunther Grass revealed his own SS past. Even ex-members of the SS need to be permitted the benefit of doubt when they appear to change.
  • edited November 2006
    Harrison Ford's wife either was the producer or the director for the movie Kundun. Can't remember which. She met with HHDL and asked his permission to do the film. She also wanted his opinion and blessing on the film before it was allowed to be released. Which he gave.

Now whether this is all true............I'm not sure. Read it in an interview a few years ago that someone had with Harrison Ford.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Melissa Mathiesson, Ford's wife, both produced and wrote the script for the movie. Frankly, while I thought the movie was good, it didn't grab me the way Little Buddha did. I'm not a big fan of Scorsese anyway, which probably explains why. I do think it was a good movie for people to see to understand the Dalai Lama "phenomenon". I just couldn't get very excited over it.

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    Thank you Palzang I couldn't remember her name or the details.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Well, you can find out all sorts of interesting details on the Internet Movie Database site (http://www.imdb.com/).

Palzang