Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Visualisation as Meditation

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited November 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Well I think this sounds more like psychology than anything, but I have found that it works for me...

Instead of meditating, sometimes when I require the quick-calm-me-down, I will choose instead to visualise something else to inspire in me the kind of feeling I will have from the experience.

For example, to instil deep serenity, there are times when I would imagine myself on a pilgrimage, walking a thousand steps patiently up this open stairway on the mountain, where on the top is a majestically-golden Buddha statue.

Well, what do you make of this? :)

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I would say whatever works. In times of stress, we can't always sit down and meditate to calm ourselves. It is a recommended method for sudden anger or stress.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I think that's a good suggestion, Ajani. Being the busy busy 21st Century sentient beings that we are, too often we don't leave ourselves the time to regular meditation or practice. I think your suggestion would be helpful to those of us who find ourselves in such a predicament!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Simple visualisation has been shown to have very beneficial effects, both psychologically and physically. After many years of using it, and having been privileged to receive some extremely complex visualisations from Buddhist teachers, I am convinced of its value.

Brief reference to an image that one has 'constructed' in tranquility, like quiet chanting of a well-assimilated mantra or a well-practised series of mudras, brings attention back to the matter in hand.