Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone know anything about FitBrain App or Website? (Working out your Brain?)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
I just bought the $10 subscription for one-year and I hope to improve my brain function a little bit. I've read a few science studies about these games. It seems somewhat promising, I suppose I just have to give it a go and see what happens. Do any of you have experience with these apps? FitBrain or Lumosity? And if so, what have been your results?

http://www.fitbrains.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_fitness
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fit-brains-trainer/id565200595?mt=8

Comments

• anandoanando Explorer
    Hello,
    yes there are two good things for your brain: Yoga Asanas and the buddhist meditation of the 8fold Path.

anando
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I've used lumosity but only the free version. It was ok, but I found it a bit stressful, lol. It reminded me too much of school assignments. You can improve your brain function a lot by doing crosswords, logic puzzles and other sorts of things, as well. Basically anything that is puzzle oriented will work your brain including jigsaw puzzles. I have a Nintendo DS and I enjoy playing the Professor Layton games and another one called Rooms. Quell is a good game app that is really cheap (or free if you don't mind ads I think) that is a brain teaser.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    anando said:

Hello,
    yes there are two good things for your brain: Yoga Asanas and the buddhist meditation of the 8fold Path.

anando

Thank you! Is this from experience or stuff you have heard? @anando?
    anando said:

Hello,

anando

Any links/recommendations of a great break down of Yoga Asanas and Buddhist Meditation of 8 Fold Path? Buddhistnet.net?
    karasti said:

I've used lumosity but only the free version. It was ok, but I found it a bit stressful, lol. It reminded me too much of school assignments. You can improve your brain function a lot by doing crosswords, logic puzzles and other sorts of things, as well. Basically anything that is puzzle oriented will work your brain including jigsaw puzzles. I have a Nintendo DS and I enjoy playing the Professor Layton games and another one called Rooms. Quell is a good game app that is really cheap (or free if you don't mind ads I think) that is a brain teaser.

Thank you! What about Chess?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I think chess would count as well. Anything that requires thinking ahead in that way is good for the brain, I think!
    karasti said:

I think chess would count as well. Anything that requires thinking ahead in that way is good for the brain, I think!

Yeah, my same thoughts! Thank you! I'm checking that #quell game, will let you know soon!
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    You can look at your brain as a mental muscle, and if you do you can work it out! LOL

NB is particularly good at doing that, understanding intention and motivation of the post, carefully sidestepping a comment or realising there is a Troll out there to provoke you; yet you can still come to understand the depth of the meaning of the posters post, if you work through the respondents posts and your own. This is a mental workout.

I like sudoku, chess, angry birds go, my kids math homework, bringing my mind home...

Not sure I would pay £10 for it though...

Hey thats something to consider - who is paying to host this site? LOL

anataman said:

You can look at your brain as a mental muscle, and if you do you can work it out! LOL

NB is particularly good at doing that, understanding intention and motivation of the post, carefully sidestepping a comment or realising there is a Troll out there to provoke you; yet you can still come to understand the depth of the meaning of the posters post, if you work through the respondents posts and your own. This is a mental workout.

I like sudoku, chess, angry birds go, my kids math homework, bringing my mind home...

Not sure I would pay £10 for it though...

Hey thats something to consider - who is paying to host this site? LOL

Well, it's $10 a year, so in reality it's like 83 cents a month? It's basically putting 5 different brain work-outs into one game, it saves time, money and energy to having to search elsewhere for other means of getting the same workout. I heard recently that exercising alone could be very beneficial. I might increase the amount of exercises and perhaps do more Yoga to help me out with that.