Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bring back our lucky Buddha

edited November 2006 in Buddhism Today
'Bring back our lucky Buddha'
By Sally-Anne Johnson
http://www.thisishertfordshire.co.uk/news/stalbans/display.var.1017918.0.bring_back_our_lucky_buddha.php

A BUDDHIST mother and her daughters are desperate for a stone Buddha stolen from their garden to be returned safe and sound.

Beverley Lewis, 33, who lives in Maryland, Hatfield, believes the foot-high green stone statue, named Shyakamuni, was probably stolen from her front garden on Hallowe'en.

Beverley, who has been a Buddhist since the age of 21, says the statue had had a spell put on it to protect the family's home and health.

She said: "I've been collecting all sorts of buddhas from around the world for years and I bought Shyakamuni while I was on a break in the Isle of Wight.
continued...

"The woman who had the stall that I bought it from was a white witch who could enrich and put spells on the things you bought from her.

"She put a spell on him to protect our home and property and bring us health and wealth.

"Money's not been too bad and we're all healthy and I do feel we've been protected.

"But she said he would protect us as long as he stayed in the position we put him in and he's been there for two years.

"I'm not too worried about the spell being broken, as being a Buddhist I know he is just a symbol, but I wouldn't like to be the person that had taken him."

Beverley said her daughters Carly, 12, Megan, ten, and Krista, seven, were upset at Shyakamuni's disappearance.

She said: "I reported it to the police but because it's a garden ornament there's not a lot they can do.

"I'm just hoping that maybe he's been thrown in someone else's garden and maybe we can get him back.

"I know they're replaceable but they mean a lot. You wouldn't go into a church and steal a crucifix would you?"

If you have seen Shyakamuni or know where he might be, telephone the Review on 01923 216342.