Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thai Monks Getting Very Involved In Political Protests

I am not going to go deeply into the background history of the political situation here in Thailand, but at the moment it is the most turbulent it has been since 4 years ago when around 90 people were killed and Bangkok set on fire.

There are 2 main sides simply named the red shirts and the yellow shirts, they are at terms with each other in a big way and have been for years, again the reasons for this I won't go into as it will take me a long time. I will just say that recently the current PM is the sister of a man who was ousted from Thailand some years ago via a coup, an ex PM himself, and now she has been caught up in a notorious scandal. She is hated by the yellow shirts and this scandal has given them huge cause to protest for the past 3 months. She basically promised all of the rice farmers an extra amount of money %wise on their crop, she never came through and ows Bt500 billion (US$16 billion-$17 billion. She tried to go to the banks for loans or something which was seen as an act that should result in her appearing before a court, she did not and is still here somehow..

People have been killed so far in the past 3 months from grenades and shootings, but the yellow shirts continue to remain mostly peaceful and protest daily in mass numbers. The killings have mainly been coming from the reds throwing grenades into the protests, or assumed it is the reds ho did.

To finally get to my point of this entire thread, there have been a few monks taking a highly seen place with in the yellow shirt protests. One of them I saw on the news have the army surround him and also head some of the protest marches or at least take part.

Did the Buddha not get involved in politics? This is quite extreme and what are your views on it all? I will try and find some references

Comments

• As near as I can tell from reading, the Buddha was preaching his message during a time when the Priests of the Brahmin class would have been expected to have a dim view of such a message of liberation from the numerous laws and ceremonial duties to appease the Gods and ancestors. Yet I don't remember any recounting in the suttas of him actively being involved in any issue that might be considered political.

This is the paradox of our call to "socially engaged Buddhism" isn't it? Just how much engagement is allowed, and does this include monks? And who decides which issues and what side of a conflict is the Buddhist one? Something to think about.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I don't think I have a right to take a stance claiming that another has no right to take his or her own stance. In the end everyone has to take a stand, even if it is not to take a strident one. It's all in the way one conducts himself, that is, reasonably and respectful of the rights of others.

Perhaps one can have too narrow a view of the vocation of a monk?

I mean:
    "When a person has right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration, right knowledge, and right release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever vows, whatever determinations, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is agreeable, pleasing, charming, profitable, & easeful. Why is that? Because the view is auspicious.

"Just as when a sugar cane seed, a rice grain, or a grape seed is placed in moist soil, whatever nutriment it takes from the soil & the water, all conduces to its sweetness, tastiness, & unalloyed delectability. Why is that? Because the seed is auspicious. In the same way, when a person has right view... right release, whatever bodily deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever verbal deeds... whatever mental deeds he undertakes in line with that view, whatever intentions, whatever vows, whatever determinations, whatever fabrications, all lead to what is agreeable, pleasing, charming, profitable, & easeful. Why is that? Because the view is auspicious."

— AN 10.104
    howyagrThailandTomCinorjer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    For Buddhists (robed or not) the question is about if an action brings about
    greed, hate & delusion
    or
    compassion, love or wisdom.

If you are not sure, then I'd suggest waiting on that action until you are.
    NirvanaCinorjer
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Right now, most of the monks that are involved are on the side of the yellow shirts...which is "my side". Yet, I am opposed to monks being involved.

I will make an exception. If the consensus among the monk community was that action was required, then I would probably change my mind. But what is happening now is essentially "rogue monks". Personally, I feel they should be drummed out of the monkhood.
  • vinlyn said:

Right now, most of the monks that are involved are on the side of the yellow shirts...which is "my side". Yet, I am opposed to monks being involved.

I will make an exception. If the consensus among the monk community was that action was required, then I would probably change my mind. But what is happening now is essentially "rogue monks". Personally, I feel they should be drummed out of the monkhood.

This is how I feel pretty much, I guess you need to actually have lived and breathed Thai culture for some time to fully understand..? But it is as if they are enjoying taking sides and opening themselves up to slipping way off of the 8 fold path. Don't forget a monk is only another human, and often you get people who robe up for a few months or weeks as well.
    Nirvana
    Yes. But the main monk involved this time (whose name escapes me) is a long-term monk (I think). He seems very well known.
    Nirvana
  • I am not going to go deeply into the background history of the political situation here

Did the Buddha not get involved in politics? This is quite extreme and what are your views on it all? I will try and find some references

Buddha might not have been involved in politics. The monks most certainly aren't Buddhas.
    footiam said:

I am not going to go deeply into the background history of the political situation here

Buddha might not have been involved in politics. The monks most certainly aren't Buddhas.
    Who made you the decider of who is or isn't Buddhist?

• Most certainly perhaps is not the right word. It is just a guess.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    vinlyn said:

footiam said:

I am not going to go deeply into the background history of the political situation here

Who made you the decider of who is or isn't Buddhist?

The monks involved are certainly Buddhist, but I would have to agree that they are not Buddhas.
    I also agree that they should be defrocked for their involvement. Naturally that would only cause more hard feelings though.
    Okay. I'll play the game. I declare that anyone who says who isn't Buddhist is not Buddhist (except for me, of course). So is it ordered. So is it done. By order of the Grand Decider, Vinlyn. Notorized on this date, March 8, 2014.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Footiam said they weren't Buddhas not that they weren't Buddhist.
    You're right. But how does he know they aren't Buddhas?
    Nirvana
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Maybe he thinks the next Buddha is Maitreya due to arrive in a trillion years or so?
    My point stands. None of us on this forum is qualified to decide or declare who is or isn't a Buddhist, or a Buddha, or enlightened, or a Bodhisattva. There's too much of that around here. Most of us can't even straighten out our own lives, let alone decide who has a particular rightful status in Buddhism.
  • robot said:

Maybe he thinks the next Buddha is Maitreya due to arrive in a trillion years or so?

I think a Buddha wouldn't act the way the monks did.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    vinlyn said:

My point stands. None of us on this forum is qualified to decide or declare who is or isn't a Buddhist, or a Buddha, or enlightened, or a Bodhisattva. There's too much of that around here. Most of us can't even straighten out our own lives, let alone decide who has a particular rightful status in Buddhism.

Pretty much just a matter of opinion. Without opinions there wouldn't be much to discuss.
    footiam said:

robot said:

I think a Buddha wouldn't act the way the monks did.
    I can agree with that.

ThailandTom
    robot said:

Pretty much just a matter of opinion. Without opinions there wouldn't be much to discuss.

I know it may be quibbling to some, but I see a difference between having an opinion about a concept -versus- making a judgement about a specific person.

Nirvana
  • zsczsc Explorer

The monks can do what they want. Really, people are being blown up. This may be more pressing than whether monks are allowed to protest or not.

Priorities.

• robotrobot Veteran

@zsc said:
    The monks can do what they want. Really, people are being blown up. This may be more pressing than whether monks are allowed to protest or not.

Priorities.

It's a discussion.
    What do you think we can do about the violence? Or the monks?
    Talk more? Or less?

@zsc said:

Priorities.

What if monks are on the blowing up side?

And, as this crisis has unfolded over the past 5 years, there have been monks on both sides of the issue.

• zsczsc Explorer

@robot @vinlyn

I think understanding the monks as people, not as their ordination would help in this case. Talking about what should happen to them/should they being doing it seems to miss the point, as much as it is useless. No one here really has any authority over what they do and what they are allowed to do, so what's the point? Same if they are on the blowing up side, since that's not appropriate behavior for anyone, Buddhist or not.

Not being in Thailand with minimal ties to the country (my sangha is Thai Theravadin, with some monks being Thai), what I choose to do is stay informed and pray. That also may be useless, but it seems less useless than speculating about what should happen to the monks as if I can affect the outcome either way. Most of what I do in everyday life is an effort to be less useless, really.

@zsc, I don't think your two comments are at all consistent.

• maybe they could just all wear blue shirts?

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2014

@zsc said:
    robot vinlyn

I think understanding the monks as people, not as their ordination would help in this case. Talking about what should happen to them/should they being doing it seems to miss the point, as much as it is useless. No one here really has any authority over what they do and what they are allowed to do, so what's the point? Same if they are on the blowing up side, since that's not appropriate behavior for anyone, Buddhist or not.

Not being in Thailand with minimal ties to the country (my sangha is Thai Theravadin, with some monks being Thai), what I choose to do is stay informed and pray. That also may be useless, but it seems less useless than speculating about what should happen to the monks as if I can affect the outcome either way. Most of what I do in everyday life is an effort to be less useless, really.

At the end of the day they have a shaved head and are in robes for a very good reason, they have embraced the triple gem and furthermore have many many rules that govern their life. Rallying n a side of a political movement that incites deadly violence in the past and now is not something a monk should be doing, end of.