Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple Explanation of Karma?

2»

Comments

• Oh cool, I gotta test this

to close the quote you do the same thing

okay lemme see how that comes out.
    If it works, thanks yagr.
    :D

• A simple explanation of karma is much the same as a simple explanation of cancer. They're both easy to explain but they arise from processes which are fundamental to our lives as we conventionally think about them. So when you start trying to eradicate the problems associated with them it becomes very complex, even though the problems are easy to state.

Cinorjer
  • @thegoldeneternity said:
    It is my understanding that Karma is very often misunderstood, especially in the west. Would anyone be able to offer a simple explanation of Karma, intended for a western audience?

Thanks!

Reap what you sow.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

@radagast said:
    Does it make it harder to keep attention on the
    present moment, if we worry about future lives?
    Or past lives?

We don't need to think about past or future lives, but we do need to think about tomorrow. We surely need some understanding of the likely _consequences _of our present actions down the line.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I'm not sure if we need that as much as we think, @SpinyNorman. Sometimes, yes, we must plan for things like retirement or paying taxes, and we have to think a bit ahead. As far as consequences to every day interactions, if we are operating from the present and from the Dharma, I think our decisions can be made with confidence without too much thinking ahead to all possible conclusions. It's kind of like reading ahead in Choose Your Own Adventure books. Sometimes we make the best decision we can at the time and in hindsight it appears we should have made a different one but we can't always forsee what might be coming up on the next pages so it's better to worry about maing the best decision for today rather than tomorrow (when, like I said, you are operating Dharmically and from the present...it doesn't mean you blow your life savings on a new car).