Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Spinning the Dharma Wheel... *SPOILERS* FOR THE FILM "SHAOLIN"

Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha WithinWA Veteran

So...just finished watching the movie "Shaolin" on Netflix.

Movie is about an army commander who becomes a Shaolin monk after his young daughter dies. He isn't a nice army commander at all: lying, murdering - the whole "bad guy" routine.

Before my acceptance of Buddhism, I would've have felt and thought that the guy deserved the pain he was feeling. I would've felt compassion and sympathy for his daughter, his wife, but not for him. I would've been angry at his conduct, but instead it made me feel sad - I thought his behavior was so unnecessary and repugnant.

As for his victims, I felt empathy for them, whereas before I would've held a "sucks to be them" mentality.

I know its just a movie, but still - I feel that my reactions to this movie are an improvement to what they were previously. Having not had a religion before, its very interesting to notice these changes in myself.

Just thought I'd share with all of you.

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2014

Was a decent movie. If there is a Chinese movie on Netflix I've seen it, since the Chinese make better movies then Hollywood these days, although rarely do they have Buddhist overtone like this one. It was interesting how he accepted all the bad stuff that came back to him as a result of his past actions. It was a true redemption story.

Also it's good to be aware of our changes, keep practicing :).