Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Those Crystals - Not Diamonds :D

What are your views on energy crystals and can you explain the reasoning behind your view?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

According to the New England Journal Of Medicine: "There is no peer reviewed scientific evidence that crystal healing has any effect. It has been called a pseudoscience. Pleasant feelings or seeming successes of crystal healing can be attributed to the placebo effect, or the believers wanting it to be true and seeing only things that back that up; cognitive bias."

So until some accepted scientific evidence surfaces refuting that, I think it's a crock. But, if people want to try it, that's their decision.

• I think the placebo effect is under-rated/utilized. Saw an ad for botox for migraine headaches the other day and they cited that botox prevented 9 headaches a month compared to 7 for a placebo, and then went on to list all the side-effects for the botox (compared to zero for the placebo, I assume). If something works some of the time with NO ill side-effects, why wouldn't you start with that?

LostSoul
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@lamaramadingdong said:
    I think the placebo effect is under-rated/utilized. Saw an ad for botox for migraine headaches the other day and they cited that botox prevented 9 headaches a month compared to 7 for a placebo, and then went on to list all the side-effects for the botox (compared to zero for the placebo, I assume). If something works some of the time with NO ill side-effects, why wouldn't you start with that?

Well, if one likes fooling themselves, so be it.

But also, using such a technique may make the individual ignore a treatment that should/must be treated. It often doesn't work to hide an underlying medical issue for the long-term.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited March 2014

I believe in them working in certain situations. Though I would NEVER encourage anyone to use them and exclude traditional and/or holistic medicine.

The only explanation I can give is - because they work for me. Nothing scientific, intellectual or atheist-y I'm afraid. Feel free to disregard this if you see fit.

• My friend recently has been getting out of a looonnnng rut and he seems to believe in them a lot. he was never really spiritual at all but seems to be getting his act together in a big way now. Although he is having therapy as well so yea, I don't know. I think that they are a placebo, and we all should know here the power of the mind..