Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is There Bullying On This Site?

I note at my work, there are strict guidelines about bullying. Even things as subtle as eye rolling, or condescending should be considered bullying they say. I see a lot of that here. Should the rules about bullying be applied to a message board?

Comments

• I think if you flag a post for the moderator at least they will get a 'talking to'. And if it happens over and over again eventually some corrective would be applied to them.

• @Jeffrey said:
    I think if you flag a post for the moderator at least they will get a 'talking to'. And if it happens over and over again eventually some corrective would be applied to them.

But if someone is condescending to you, would that warrant a talking to here?

• Does it warrant being considered a bully? We definitely don't want bickering about who is a bully and who is a troll. Can you see why?

• I think if about 5 reports (from 5 different people) of being condescending and the mods will look into the matter. If you can tell they are condescending then a mod will be able to as well.

• Well, I think a culture where condescending or ridicule of any nature, does warrant being considered. Especially on a site with Buddhist values.

• I agree. I am just saying we don't want bickering about if someone is a bully. That kind of finger pointing is so negative. So just flag it for a mod. If you can see it is condescending then a mod can see also.

Linc
  • I am sure this will not be a popular sentiment and I am honestly wanting an open and honest discussion, but I think there is a lot of bullying on this site.

• Yes. I agree. But in some cases I think it is just aggressive arguing. Bullying is exerting a power trip over someone.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

As a moderator, I will reply, but first, I would like you to give me three concrete examples of what you consider to be bullying, by giving me threads and participants.

Further, it would help if you could give me a solid example of what YOU perceive as bullying.
    Because your perception of what it is, may differ from that of those participating....

When such matters are reported, both by the person who may perceive themselves to be a victim, and by other witnesses, we take such accusations very seriously.
    If neither 'victim' nor 'witnesses' report anything, we do not wield a big heavy stick and wade in unannounced, uninvited and unnecessarily.

It has happened in the past that I have made the presumptuous decision to intercede during some animated discussions - only to be told by all members engaged in the discussion, that "honestly, things are fine, we're ok, we're just having a good old ding-dong, but no harm done."

Which is why I now do not interject unless it is a specific request or requirement....

I await your response to my first and second points.
    Probably best that you PM me.

Thanks.

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited April 2014

I will underscore what @federica‌ said: If you perceive bullying, please document it and send the examples to the moderators for followup (with links, not just thread titles - it takes forever finding what discussion you're talking about if you didn't flag it directly). Talking in vague terms doesn't help us manage the site better; we need to see what you thought was bullying and then we'll investigate and see what's going on.

This discussion has been closed.