Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism examines idea of enlightenment?

edited November 2006 in Buddhism Today
I read this and was unsure whether to post it because it seems like this guy may not have done his homework before responding to the readers question but, I'm postin' it anyway!

Buddhism examines idea of enlightenment
By Andrew Tevington
http://www.oklahoman.net/article/2973083

Q: I see Oklahoma City has a Buddhist temple now. How can Buddhism be considered a religion since they are atheists?
— Lisa, Edmond

A: The Oklahoma City area has more than one Buddhist facility. Some are traditional free-standing temples, some share space with local churches and others are in storefronts.

Oklahoma City Buddhism represents the three major schools: Theravada, found mostly in southeast Asia and Sri Lanka; Mahayana, the most widely practiced form in Oklahoma's large Vietnamese community; and Vjrayana, also known as Tibetan Buddhism led by the Dalai Lama.

Most Americans are familiar with Zen Buddhism, which is a Japanese form of Mahayana Buddhism. Zen is well-represented in central Oklahoma.

The Western world often portrays Buddhists as atheists because Western theologians do not see God in the form they expect when they look at Buddhism.

For Islam, Judaism and Christianity, the major religions in the West, God is a unique being. He is someone Who can be spoken to and perhaps heard from. He has characteristics we can learn and describe. He is someone with Whom a believer can have a one-to-one relationship.

Viewing God in this manner makes for a "personal God." The term does not mean "my own God." Instead, it means a God Who has individuality, Who exists separately from the universe and Who communicates.

In the various forms of Buddhism, God is not personal. Theravada Buddhism does not speculate on what God is, because such speculation is useless in the Theravadan's view. The mystery of God cannot be known.

In other forms, some believers might ponder the question, but those who seek to answer it do not find a personal God. Instead, they perceive a God that is a force, such as gravity.

Gravity certainly affects the universe, but a person cannot converse with gravity. Gravity is not embodied, literally or figuratively.

In the same way, for Buddhists who consider the question, God is the force that created the universe and set the great cycle of creation, death and re-creation into motion. A person cannot communicate with this God.

For a Buddhist, however, the vital question is not who is God? or how do I know God?

Buddhism believes in reincarnation, but it also holds that life is suffering. The goal of a believer is to remove himself from the cycle of reincarnation so that he will no longer suffer.

Once removed from this cycle, the believer reaches nirvana. The only way to get out of the cycle is to become enlightened, as the Buddha was enlightened.

For Buddhism, the vital question, then, is, "How do I become enlightened so that I may reach nirvana?"

Buddhists identify a twelve-fold path to enlightenment. This path requires a person to act, think and meditate properly. It is the basis of Buddhist morality and the focus of Buddhist spirituality.

Andrew Tevington, a graduate of Tulsa's Phillips Theological Seminary, is an assistant pastor at United Methodist Church of the Servant in Oklahoma City. His column is published twice a month in the Religion section. To contact him, e-mail revtev@cox.net.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    For an assistant pastor of a United Methodist church - I thought he did pretty damn good.

Especially in Oklahoma City!

While he may not agree with the teachings of Buddhism, he did seem to relay a great deal of wisdom and tolerance in his response.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    funny thing to say.. aren't buddhist athetists? lol

don't think it really merited much of a response.. I'd tell em to read about it..

but i admire his ability to not go to my methods and actually help someone learn.. im doubtful what good it did.. im used to talking to ppl who won't listen.. or ask questions i could spent years answering so don't bother
    edited November 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    funny thing to say.. aren't buddhist athetists? lol

Nope.

-bf
  • edited November 2006
    ud think there was a reason for the whole name difference..i doubt the lady did any real research before wasting ppls time :P
    edited November 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    ud think there was a reason for the whole name difference..i doubt the lady did any real research before wasting ppls time :P

I don't know what you mean about "ud think there was a reason for the whole name difference" statement.

But, the other comment seems to be pretty typical regarding a lot of people on the internet. It's easier to have someone tell you what to think instead of spending some time looking it up on your own.

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2006
    The Force, people! :rockon: