Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran

I really like this...I love the word and I love the concept.

Thank you @thegoldeneternity.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

_ /l\ _

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

This literally sounds like 'tithing' which is the once-compulsory but also voluntary donation of one's wealth, income, property of pocketful of change, to your own church or temple, for the good of others.

The trouble with doing that (particularly if your own personal church requires or demands it) is that the very wealthy feel barely a dent in their fortunes, while the very poor will have to go without something for themselves.

But I like 'Kything' far more....

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

That is lovely :) I'm positive I've experienced this spontaneously, without knowing it had a name or even a way to deliberately do it, and I'll bet most others can say this too. My job as a nurse and in caring for my farm critters has brought this experience to me over and over again. How cool to conceptualize it as a 'something' (for the purposes of life in this conditional world of course), and have a tidy little 3 step way to deliberately cause it to happen.

Sometimes when I'm taking care of a sick person (or animal) I am strongly overcome with what that article describes. Mainly I realize it later, thinking WOW that was unusually intense, or WOW I really connected with that patient/family member in retrospect.

As to whether or not there is a 'spirit' or 'soul' to connect to (I can practically hear the keyboards clattering) you know, who really gives a crap? There is SOMETHING there and if a person hasn't personally experienced such a connection, it's worth shooting for, trust me :) Classifying and conceptualizing delusion is a great way to manage life in a conditional, relative, misperceived life :D as long as you keep the former in mind.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I was afraid to look, I thought it was some Buddhist type of Tithing, LOL. Very interesting, I might see if I can find the book used. I do recall the term from L'Engle's book when I read it to my kids.

• I agree with Hamsaka, about experiencing this before, without knowing there was a name for it. I think the name 'kything' is an excellent one, and the intention to do it has got to be good too - a positive motivation so to speak.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Sorry,

I just don't see it in the same way (perhaps it is just a spiritualistic hang-up)...

^^I think you're feeling a bit down, aren't you?^^
    Your posts are not as cheerful as they could be, @anataman......

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Yes actually I have felt a bit down... I deliberately took time out from NB whilst on holiday - which was great btw (apart from when I checked the bank balance and my wallet on the way home; also lost my house and car keys - but thats the norm for me - good job we had a house-sitting friend), then read some of the posts, boy the negativity around here hit me like a cloud of hungry mosquitoes and took me down. Time to use my special medicine.

Posture and attitude - check
    Half-smile - check
    in-breath check
    Out-breath check

Yep all good to go again....

time to practice being bodhisattva LOL

LOL