Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran

In other countries, do they use the term Buddhism for the religion of Buddhism?

In their language do they use the term Buddhism?

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

Sorry, particularly Buddhist countries.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2014

my thinking says: buddhism is an english word, so the term buddhism would be used in english language only.

in countries having other languages, the word buddhism would be replaced by a word in that language(my guess sounding similar to what the word is used for Buddha in that language).

for example, i am from India and the national language of India is Hindi, so in hindi language, which was derived from sanskrit, Buddha is called Buddh and the religion of buddhism is called boudh dharm - dharm in hindi means religion in english.

• CittaCitta Veteran

@shanyin said:
    In other countries, do they use the term Buddhism for the religion of Buddhism?

In their language do they use the term Buddhism?

No, the idea of an 'ism' is a modern western construct.
    As is the idea of an ' ist '
    :)

The words most used to describe Buddhism in Asian languages are variations on Buddhadharma..the Dharma of the Buddha, which also contrasts it with Hindudharma or Jainadharma etc.