Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist monk cuts off his own penis

edited November 2006 in Buddhism Today
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061122/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_thailand_monk_1

He cut it off because he got an erection while meditating. My personal reaction at this time is:
"WTF! A little off the middle path (and over a cliff), don't you think!" and "Great, got to love what 'Buddhist' stories the media chooses to cover." I will be probably be thinking about this a bit longer - although I really wish I didn't have to. Ick.

Comments

• edited November 2006
    whoah is all I have to say to that one. I think he might be taking the "attachment" thing a bit to far eh?
  • edited November 2006
    I believe he took detachment a little too literally.
  • edited November 2006
    I guess he got a little bit too excited, that's all.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Everyone,

What is even sadder (or funnier depending on how morbid your sense of humor is) is that there is actually a rule in the Vinaya that prohibits bhikkhus from doing such a thing, which implies that it has happened before. Stupidity is apparently timeless.
    Now at that time a certain monk, tormented by dissatisfaction, cut off his own male organ. They told this matter to the Lord. He said: "This foolish man, monks, cut off one thing when another should have been cut off. Monks, one should not cut off one's own male organ. Whoever should cut it off, there is a grave offence." (Vinaya Pitaka, Mahavagga 110. Horner trans.)

Sincerely,

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Origen, the Christian 'heretic', is alleged to have castrated himself in obedience (as he saw it) to Matthew 19:12.

One could wish that the fathers of religious fanatics had been similarly 'inspired'! (LOL)

Do you think he did it from anger, disappointment or equanimity? Or did he do it to test his own ability to withstand so sharp a pain? If so, I can only see a manifestation of pride rather than any appropriate "mortification of the flesh".

Mind you, we are far less aware or respectful of mortification than were our forebears. This is a pretty recent and localised phenomenon. Outwith the 'Protestant', predominantly Anglo-Saxon/Germanic inspired parts of the world, self-mutilation and deliberate infliction of pain are still common aids to spiritual growth. It is less than 40 years ago that I handed a 'discipline' (multiple knotted whip) and a spiked chain to wear round the arm back toi the Novice Master: I tried them once, a week into 30 days of silent retreat, but, alas, the only real decision to which I came was that I am not the stuff of self-mortifiers.

All our sacred histories are stuffed with stories of people doing something nasty to themselves. The Buddha Shakyamuni, of course, tried the extreme ascetic way and certainly gave it a good go. He wasn't the quitter that I turned out to be. There is a part of me that wonders whether he would have Woken Up under the tree if he hadn't been through that time. I am taught that he found a different, less extreme way and that there is no need to go to extremes. But he did! And, unlike the mainstream Christian view, he appears to teach that no one can do it for us. We have to do it for ourselves and, for some, only the extreme is moderate enough.
  • edited November 2006
    the eunuch should not take pride in his chastity
  • edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Everyone,

What is even sadder (or funnier depending on how morbid your sense of humor is) is that there is actually a rule in the Vinaya that prohibits bhikkhus from doing such a thing, which implies that it has happened before. Stupidity is apparently timeless.

Sincerely,

Jason

Wow, that is scary. Too bad he didn't read that first.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Guys, put up your hand if you've ever gotten a woodie at an inconvenient time....

* raises hand *
  • edited November 2006
    .....guilty....:woowoo: Unfortunately, I can't raise either of my hands right now....
  • edited November 2006
    well of course.. but i never got a pair of shearers out to solve the problem.

reminds me of blackadder, "thats what happens when u get a gd idea - ur leg falls off, my uncle got such a good idea, to cut his toesnails with a scythe, and then his leg fell off"

(vaguely along those lines)
  • edited November 2006
    Magwang wrote:
    Guys, put up your hand if you've ever gotten a woodie at an inconvenient time....

* raises hand *
    :woowoo: me me me

Since the khandhas lack full controll, my strategy is to develop patience and good will towards them :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I would say that the poor deluded monk also cut off his own vows at the same time he cut off his, er, organ. The Vinaya also says that a eunuch can't be ordained. What is renunciation without anything to renounce?

Palzang
  • edited November 2006
    painful, poor guy can't get ordained
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    One could wish that the fathers of religious fanatics had been similarly 'inspired'! (LOL)

I think it would do all men good to do this at least once in their lifetime.

Preferably early on.

Get it over with.

At least we'd be in no doubt, after this, that they WERE thinking with their brains.....

Did I just say that out loud?:wow: :eek2: :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    .....guilty....:woowoo: Unfortunately, I can't raise either of my hands right now....
    LMAO!!!
  • edited November 2006
    wonder if he posted it to his fiancee.. lol j/k