Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

First jhana

2»

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    anataman‌ eating teddy bears? That escalated quickly! :)

Everything is mind so if you deny it, it doesn't exist! That's your game to play. It's just a label for a particular experience some people have. In my opinion!

That was my point, there is just one MIND, and we are nothing more than focussed minds in it. To say we can change our 'state of mind' is really just to say we are either being more still or more active parts of MIND - ripples going out or ripples merging. Of course we can be a big ripple or a little ripple, but a ripple is nothing more than a ripple. It depends on how you perceive it - are you riding a crest or a trough?

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

The idea that there is just one Mind is not supported by any school of Buddhism.

Not even the Yogacara.

Thats Vedanta.

Earthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@anataman said:
    That was my point, there is just one MIND, and we are nothing more than focussed minds in it. To say we can change our 'state of mind' is really just to say we are either being more still or more active parts of MIND - ripples going out or ripples merging.

I think all we can really observe is states of mind, and Jhana is one way of describing more refined states of mind. Jhanic states arises naturally when the mind is sufficiently concentrated and tranquil, so there is nothing remarkable or mysterious about them.

David
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

@anataman‌ I think the One Mind is Hinduism or Brahman? I would say I'm riding a crest, when I die a trough. :)