Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A NewBuddhist PowWow aka 'Now where's that Peace Pipe?'

not1not2not1not2 Veteran
edited December 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
In light of all the recent events, I think that we need to kind of sit down & discuss the direction we want this forum to go. I say this because several people who have left seem to feel that this board is going downhill. As I am a relatively new member, compared to some of you, I think that others may be better able to assess what direction it is that we are going. Now, I realize that this has been discussed to some extent in the other threads, but I think we need a thread entirely devoted to this. So, I'll try to get the ball rolling.

One of the first things I noticed when I joined was how tight knit the core membership was. YogaMama, Brigid, Simon, Jason, BF, KOB, LFA, Xrayman, Palzang, ComicallyInsane and the rest seemed to really care for & support each other. This place was something of a sanctuary for them & others. Now, I don't necessarily think that's changed, but I think perhaps the addition of many new faces has been a bit destabilizing for them, and apparently some of the less vocal members. It's not that the new faces are bad, but that we really haven't fully integrated ourselves into the core of this community & that contentiousness rears it's head from time to time. I don't know. I may be off base with this, but due to the posts of members who have recently left, I get the impression that some deeper dissatisfaction is happening than what they expressed in words.

Anyway, I would like to hear peoples opinion on these matters & would encourage that we think of ways to get closer as a community. Not that everyone has to participate, but I think it would be nice. Regardless, even though I'm still just getting to know you all on a personal, I do value this forum & its members and I hope we can come together a little more.

best wishes & metta
_/\_

Comments

• edited November 2006
    I decided for me today to stay out of all discussions and debates except 202. For me it is often hard to draw the line between what people see as serious debate and a more relaxed talk. I am not sure what all expect when they arrive here, for me it is primarily learning. The benefit of 202 is that from my POV, people take things generally less personally and I risk not to be involved in debating people instead of issues. I won`t blame anyone, it`s just that this is best for me and maybe the board.
  • edited November 2006
    While I said I am leaving, I saw it only fitting to at least give some advice on how I feel this forum could improve. I have left this forum much for the same reasons I have left others in the past. I just want to widen my range of discussion outside of Buddhism that's all. It is nothing personal towards any members, I just feel the initial fervor of joinging this forum has long disappated. Mind you, I had some terrific discussions here and I received excellent insight from long practiciing Buddhists as well as newcomers. My last post on the Wesetern Buddhism thread may have appeared a bit stand-offish, but I believe I made my point before the thread was recently deleted.

I feel that too many of the threads here while being humble at first, too often evolve into some arcane arguements. Too much is focused on the words being said and not enough I feel is focused on the issue at hand. Also, banning members viewed as troublemakers will do little to change the course of the forum and will only turn away newcomers when they see this.

In the end, I havel left because I wish to discuss the modern world on a broader scale and not primarily focused on Buddhism. I have enjoyed myself here and have no intention of ending my Buddhist practices. I wish you all the best.
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited November 2006
    not1not2 wrote:

One of the first things I noticed when I joined was how tight knit the core membership was. YogaMama, Brigid, Simon, Jason, BF, KOB, LFA, Xrayman, Palzang, ComicallyInsane and the rest seemed to really care for & support each other. This place was something of a sanctuary for them & others. Now, I don't necessarily think that's changed, but I think perhaps the addition of many new faces has been a bit destabilizing for them, and apparently some of the less vocal members. It's not that the new faces are bad, but that we really haven't fully integrated ourselves into the core of this community & that contentiousness rears it's head from time to time.

These last few weeks I have been reading a number of books on the psychic roots of illness and by implication mental disorders. What struck me in your post is what can be referred to as territorial conflicts. Of the four main biological conflicts which Obissier touches on in his book, Biogenealogy, Conflicts of relationship and territorial conflicts comprise the fourth.

Permit me to cite some of the section which might be illuminating for all of us.
    When the primary needs, the need for security, and the need to belong to a clan and explore the surrounding world have been satisfied, the individual seeks to create a stable territory; inhabiting the same territory for a long time allows the individual to know it by heart and to obtain maximum benefit from it.

Different problems can arise involving these territorial conflicts: The individual may fear for his or her territory (there is danger in the air) or have a problem respecting territorial borders. The individual may feel resentment within, or be uncertain about, the boundaries of the territory. A person can also feel sexually frustrated, or experience the frustration of no longer having a territory. This is how our biological brains are structured.

One of the best ways of dealing with this kind of conflict is to first be aware that it is happening. I know it is easy to think, "This is B.S." But we should consider that we are not a single brain but a brain with many brains in it—some quite primitive. Territory is one of the primitive brain issues.

As an antidote to this, we Buddhists should have the open arms of a friend (mitra) and welcome new members—and also forgive. It think this is healthy and shows the signs of a mature bulletin board. We should also get rid of territorial limits which can become divisive, leading to anger.

Love ya'll,

Bobby

P.S. The book is great! A must buy. Biogenealogy: Decoding the Pyschic Roots of Illness by Patrick Obissier. The French, btw, are doing some brilliant work in this area—it seems in this case, the French are ahead of the learning curve.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Everyone,

I suppose that it couldn't hurt to sit down and discuss the direction we would like this forum to go; however, one thing that we should all keep in mind is the direction that Brian would like this forum to go. I think that Brian's welcoming announcement sums this direction up quite well:
    Brian wrote:
    Welcome to our forums. The purpose of these forums is to provide a place for westerners to discuss Buddhism, ask questions about Buddha and his teachings, and to bring peace and happiness to all who visit. We are not on a mission to convert anyone, and we do not evangelize. Please keep your words and thoughts respectful and polite while you are visiting. We hope that you find peace in your endeavors.

As to how this could be done in a more skillful way, I am unsure; however, I think that we have all kinds of members who have something to offer when the circumstances permit. What I would really like to see happen is more of our members contributing to the forum.

Sincerely,

Jason
    edited November 2006
    Bobby,

Forgiveness is a must!

Jason
    edited November 2006
    KoB,

I wish you the best as well. Take care, and just remember that we will still be here if you ever feel the need to come back and visit us.

Jason
  • edited November 2006
    I still think of this site a sanctuary, I visit it everyday. As a matter of fact most of the time I leave it open in my browser so if I drop by the computer area I can refresh the screen and see if there is any new knowledge available. Everyone here has been great since I started posting a mere 10 months ago. I can honestly say that if it weren't for quite a few people here I maybe would not have even begun my journey on the Buddhist path. I had some really necessary questions that I didn't understand and when I posed the questions I got the answers I could understand. There seemed to be less mumbo jumbo and more things that made sense here.

Yes there are always going to be conflict online, you can't read emotion on a computer screen. It's hard to differentiate sometimes between someone sounding cruel and someone who might be joking. Then again some people may take themselves a bit to seriously and get quickly bothered. My point is, this is the internet, and you can't judge a post by it's typewritten words (sorry trying to make it sound like the whole judging a book by it's cover thing). I have read most of the threads that have "conflict" in them. My best advice is, if you are unsure about a post someone made maybe ask to find out what they truly meant. Brian did enable private messaging as well so maybe ask the question to the poster that way? I know I need alot of practice and I am quite new to the path but it seems to me some of us could use the practice of right speech and right understanding. That's why I constantly ask questions, I want to understand so the things I say and read are right. I just re-read that and it doesn't make a lick of sense but maybe you get my point?

I don't see the forum going into some new direction, I just see the opportunity to reflect and change the things that are wrong by using the basic teachings of Buddha (The Four Noble Truths, The Eightfold Path, etc). Isn't one of the whole things in Buddhism about practice. I don't think any of us is necessarily "enlightened" so we all need practice.

To sum it all up, I still have a long time before going anywhere but this forum. I love the people here, whether they have been here long or just registered. This is my virtual sangha and I hope we can all just reflect and move on. Like I've said to you all many times before, thanks for having me and helping when I've gotten confused or lost on something. And especially thanks to Brian for getting this forum together, I don't know what I would have done without it.

:om:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    LFA,

That was an absolutely beautiful post and I agree 100% with everything you said. In fact, you expressed my thoughts and feelings perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks!
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    I think that Brian's welcoming announcement sums this direction up quite well
    You make good points, Jason :)

Online forums frequently fall prey to persons with sentiments of self-entitlement that often stem from confusing the forum with the institution(s) it is associated with. Conflicts generally arise when a member becomes rude. This often happens not simply from expressing an unpopular position, but by expressing a position in a rude way. Too often (universally, not so much here) a person then compounds their rudeness with a declaration of their right to behave in such a way based on the principles of the institution(s) related to the forum.

On the tech site I run with Brian, it was based on the concept of free speech as defined by the US Bill of Rights. On the college site I help run, it is based on the college's ideas of equity and free speech. Here, it is couched in terms of Buddhist practice.

The problem is that well-run online forums are not equivalent to street corners. They are not bulletin boards in the town square. They are not an upside-down soap box in the park. They are private spaces that are run by private hosts.

Conflict arises when a member forgets they are a guest. If you remain mindful of being in some else's living room (pick your metaphor here! :) ) you quickly are in the right mindset for excellent discussion.

Brian is a tremendously gracious and accommodating host (and an experienced one). I know he feels blessed to be able to host you (all of you). I am his guest on this site, I co-host another site with him, and I am frequently a guest in his "real-life" house. However, even in the house of a very accommodating host, there are still expectations for you.

Moderators help the host maintain their space, so it is appropriate to work with them as you would the host. It is these personal connections and the respect paid through them that allows a forum to continue to provide a hospitable and welcoming atmosphere. Anything less deteriorates into a battle of egos. This is what I have found to be true in my experiences, anyway. :)

LFA, you are absolutely correct about the drawbacks of this medium and I think your suggestions are outstanding as well. Cheers!

-The second-quietest moderator :cool:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    not1not2, I want to apologize for not meeting your question head on, but I felt it was important to address some of the underlying tension that seems to be swirling about :) Unfortunately, I don't have any straight forward recipes for community cohesion in my Moderator Toolbelt (I got mine on sale, heh) but I think that the ingredient list would start and end with respect - not just for the host, but for your fellow guests and the time you're sharing together :)

I think it's also important for the community as a whole to recognize when someone has come here to sow bad feeling and push ideas rather than engage in learning. Someone who does this should get the message (by everyone, not necessarily just moderators) that that sort of behavior is unwelcome here. Stick together! :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    It is worth reflecting that the 'sacred' principle of "freedom of speech" is a peculiarly Western and particularly US concept. I haven't managed to find it anywhere in the sutras, anymore than I can find a 'right' to life or liberty.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Mindfulness.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    federica wrote:
    Mindfulness.

...which can be practised in all placesd and at all times, under whatever regime. It is categorically different from the illusion of "freedom of speech".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Sorry, Simon. I wasn't necessarily answering your post -I should perhaps have made that clear.
    I was merely trying to be brief, succinct and to the point.

If we are as Mindful as we can be, when we inteact with others, theoretically, the bases are covered....
  • edited December 2006
    Many of my thoughts have been posted here so I do not feel the need to add more.

Thank you for starting this thread and putting issues that needed addressed out on the table.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
    anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

by Carl Bard

Maybe we should all just take a deep breath, relax and continue from there being more mindful ( as fede stated) with love,kindness, compassion for all, the 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold Path utmost in our minds.

Namaste'
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    not1not2, I want to apologize for not meeting your question head on, but I felt it was important to address some of the underlying tension that seems to be swirling about

Sounds pretty head on to me :)

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone so far for responding. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Glad to hear from you all.

best wishes & metta.

_/\_
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    All of these were great and thought-provoking posts. There is a lot of good stuff in here and I think it's these types of threads that make all of us step back and re-evaluate our position and participation.

I remember back when this board started and I was the only one on here - before Brian and Matt did a "hostile takeover" on this host - I was the only member out here. It was great! Since I was the ONLY member, everyone agreed with me.

I was right all the time - but I sure didn't learn very much.

As other members have stated, there is a lot lost in an online forum versus a face-to-face conversation. While Right Speech and Mindfulness should be practiced in what we post - for those of us reading the posts - we need to be mindful as well instead of taking everything as a confrontation.

And... as Pally always points out - we are just a bunch of ignorant, sentient beings. Sometimes we're going to screw up. Sometimes were going to be angry. Sometimes we need to step back and view our actions and speech. Do they fall in accordance with the most basic teachings of Buddha?

We can always take these very simple measures in our interaction with people on-line, co-workers, family members, checkers at the grocery store and the stranger on the street.

I still think it's all good.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Good post BF

I have had my hand slapped on this board several times and even pulled back a few bloodied stubs. Which all gave me great Shenpa. But I 've learned a lot.

I am a control freak with very strong opinions. I have always thought that there was never any ego or attachment in my opinions and advice. But how wrong I was.

Ego and attachment to our thoughts and opinons causes us to not always stop and really listen to others. We all have so much to learn and when we allow ego and attachment to cloud our judgement or our hearing, is that when we stop learning? So many times things are taken personally but they were never meant that way. There is so much to learn here. But we seem to let our personal feelings, our egos and attachments to our opinions get in the way.

I for one will try my best to not do this any more. But I am a work in progress so please bare with me. And when I stumble will someone please help me back up?
    edited December 2006
    Good post BF

I have had my hand slapped on this board several times and even pulled back a few bloodied stubs. Which all gave me great Shenpa. But I 've learned a lot.

Not by me, I hope!!
    There is so much to learn here. But we seem to let our personal feelings, our egos and attachments to our opinions get in the way.

I for one will try my best to not do this any more. But I am a work in progress so please bare with me. And when I stumble will someone please help me back up?

IntheDharma, this is precisely what we should all be doing for everyone - for one another.... nobody should be afraid to approach their Sangha-fellow-dwellers and gently help them up by cradling their elbow within a helping hand. And nobody should take offence at such assistance.
    Whether we do so privately, through PM's (which is probably most appropriate and tactful) or as part of the ongoing discussion, to illustrate our point, our comments should always be couched in affection and Compassion, regardless.

But I will try, as I always have, to be both a good friend to all who post, and a protector too. That's my job.
  • edited December 2006
    A NewBuddhist PowWow aka 'Now where's that Peace Pipe?'

There is only one perspective and it is as transparent as the individual which it reflects.
  • edited December 2006
    Once the sutra is read burn it, for the the Buddha does not mention his teachers.
  • edited December 2006
    It doesn't matter how I feel deep down inside, I am defined by what I do.
    Batman Begins

Trust your feelings.
    Obi Wan Kenobi

Everything is happening according to my design.
    Imperial Emperor

Hmmmm..........

I love mythology!!
  • edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

I remember back when this board started I was the only member out here. It was great! Since I was the ONLY member, everyone agreed with me.

as Pally always points out - we are just a bunch of ignorant, sentient beings. Do I fall in accordance with the most basic teachings of Buddha?

I still think it's all good.

-bf

I couldn't agree more to this editted edition. :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2006
    Fede, No, not by you. :)
  • edited December 2006
    I love it here! I think that is obvious. I don't have much more to add to what's already been said, but I just wanted to apologize to some of the members that feel they have not been "part of the group" here. I am sorry if I ever made anyone feel unwelcome, or if I have not been as friendly to some of the members. Some of us on here are definitely a tight-knit group, but I promise to do a better job of making everyone feel like they are welcome aorund here! It was never my intent to make anyone feel left out.

Hugs to all!

Kim
    edited December 2006
    May I just venture a point....?
    Buddhism is all about realising that Life is Difficult.
    It's about recognising the validity of Self and Not-Self - and it's about living in the Present.

To truly Walk the Talk, I applaud that we have all recognised the values of this Forum, as well as the flaws....
    But let's all now move on.
    We know we hit the brown stuff, but we know what to do about it too...
    let's not keep flaying ourselves with regurgitated guilt.

Be Great,
    Be Good,
    Be Kind, Loving and Compassionate.
    Be Wise.

Be NOW.

First step......Walk on.....
  • edited December 2006
    Very good point, federica! :) Thank you for those wise words!
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    YogaMama,

I never said that you had caused any such feelings, just that the influx of new members who might have upset a little of the balance here, as some of us post a lot & we don't really know each other at first.

with metta
    _/\_
  • edited December 2006
    Oh, I know. I just wanted to apologize to anyone that I may have made feel "left out". :)
  • edited December 2006
    federica wrote:
    May I just venture a point....?
    Buddhism is all about realising that Life is as difficult, as one's clinging to it.

To truly Walk the Talk,

Be Great,
    Be Good,
    Be Kind, Loving and Compassionate.
    Be Wise.
    Be NOW.
    First step......Wax on.....wax off......wax on......wax off.........

Enough said Fede............Thanks for sharing!:cheer:

In Gassho
    Steve
    edited December 2006
    Wax on....Wax off....?! Ya puddin' werds in mah mahth, Iawa.....?

Fair enough! Same diff'rence!!
  • edited December 2006
    Most sorry for such impetuousness, my mistress, I forgot to say paraphrased.
    I shall crawl through the glass one extra row for such heresey.

In Gassho
    edited December 2006
    Noooooooooo!! I'll let you off as it's the season of goodwill - !! :grin: