Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where is that "why can't there be Western Buddhist" thread?

edited December 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
Hello Members,

In my first welcome post here. I expressed my opinion about the banishment of Xing Ping and few others in the thread "Why there cant be Western Buddhist". But I cant seem to find that thread to see what have been going on. Has the thread been moved? or deleted of some sort?.

In a virtual Sangha like this forum. I was just wondering what precept did Xing Ping break that caused him/her to be banished from the forum. In Buddha time, this banish action is like expelling monk/nun from the Sangha. Which is very serious. I was wondering also that we as members of virtual Sangha, is losing our compassion and toleration toward person who might not be on his/her good day and might have caused minor slight offenses. If this is the case. Then I would not be surprise that lot people are leaving the forum. As it is not very Buddhistic about this type of practice.

Once again, I myself is not a judge. I read the Vinaya and the act of momentary slash out of someone does not constitute an offense that would result in complete expell from the Sangha.

Please, I would like all members input on this. This is too hard for me to understand.

Thank for listening,

SG

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    I would imagine because the thread has been nothing but contentious, from the beginning. If you had actually been here during our discussion with Xing Ping, you would have seen that the vast majority of his posts were condescending & divisive.

Also, keep in mind that we are not cutting off Xing Ping from the Dhamma or his Sangha as he is an ordained Pureland Buddhist in Hawaii. Furthermore, while we try to make this a Sangha, it is still a Web Forum. This means that it is run differently than a real life Sangha. Another thing to consider is that he was suspended prior to his banning & that after his suspension he continued the behavior he was reprimanded for. Honestly, if he cannot behave according to the very loose guidelines that this forum asks of us, then I do not have a lot of sympathy for his being banned.

Take care

_/\_

P.S.-do not be surprised if this thread gets deleted, as I believe that discussion of moderator actions are prohibited. I thought I'd give you some reasoning before that happened though.
  • edited November 2006
    There are only so many ways to address issues with anonimous distant entities.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2006
    There are no "precepts" or "banishments" here. This is my house, not a virtual representation of a nation, government, society, or religion. I didn't like the tenor of the thread, and I certainly did not appreciate the abusive words that some members were using, so I cleaned up my house and got rid of the trash.
  • edited December 2006
    Breathe
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Brian wrote:
    This is my house, not a virtual representation of a nation, government, society, or religion. I didn't like the tenor of the thread, and I certainly did not appreciate the abusive words that some members were using, so I cleaned up my house and got rid of the trash.
    Amen.