Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mantrayoga.

CittaCitta Veteran

Thus have I heard.

The first and obvious use of mantras is simply as an object on which to focus, either as an alternative to the breath, or as practised by many, with the breath. An object that carries within it certain associations of a positive nature.

The less obvious reason is to do with the nature of language.

Buddhism inherited the use of Sanskrit as a vehicle to convey concepts.

In Higher Yoga Tantras, Sanskrit is seen as a meta-language

A language which underpins and explains language.

This also gives it an objective dimension, so that in some instances the Sanskrit term for a phenomenon is non-different from that phenomenon.

All Sanskrit mantras contain within themselves a Bija ( literally 'seed' ) mantram.

It is that Bija mantram ( mantraM is the singular ) which is non -different from that which it signifies.

So for example Hrih is the Bija contained within the mantram associated with Amitabha ( Amida ) Buddha. OM AMIDEVA HRIH

And HRIH is at the Dharmakaya level non -different from Amitabha.

An acceptance of all or any of this is not compulsory..but is entry level stuff for the practice of Higher Yoga Tantras, which start with Empowerment ( Wang in Tibetan ) by a bonefide teacher.

For further reading I recommend " The Foundations Of Tibetan Mysticism " by Lama Anagarika Govinda.

anatamanBuddhadragonEvenThirdEarthninja

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Okay, @Citta. Up to here, this is the reason by which I practise mantra chanting.
    My only quibble is when I come across, let's say, this book by Lillian Too, "Chant a mantra, read a sutra" that I mentioned on another thread, which promises all sorts of miracles and merits to people chanting certain mantras every day. To provide some background, Lillian Too is a devotee of Lama Zopa.
    When discussing spirits and devas on parallel realms on yet another thread, you implied the possibility that these beings actually existed.
    When we chant a mantra to, let's say, Manjushri, would it actually imply that we believe Manjushri actually exists and will hear our prayers? I'm trying to put all this in as easy words as I can find.
    For many years, I have felt a great affinity with the hindu god Ganesha. Then again, with Green Tara and Kuan Yin.
    Many strange and happy 'coincidences' have taken place in my life as consequence of a dialogue with these beings. But I tend to lean so much on the rational side, that anything similar to the Christian idea of praying to a God or saints is not quite up my alley. Would praying mantras be something like exchanging the face of those beings, or maybe I should grow into the broader concept that there is something beyond my understanding or my need for rationality?

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well ultimately @dharmamom, there are not two realities.

When one of my teachers was asked if the 'Dhyani Buddhas ' Vairocana , Amitabha etc were real, he replied,

'They are as real as you are '

Which might not be as straightforward a reply as it first seems.

That comment leaves one wanting to know more...

• CittaCitta Veteran

What if I put the emphasis like this.

'They are as real as " you " are...

Like I tell you, I'd like to know more.
    Some happenstances I have not been able to explain, or give credit to, or even mention because I don't want to sound nuts. I have always tried to reason to myself that maybe it's all in the head.
    One thing I can assure you is: I have never done drugs, I'm not on meds and have never been diagnosed with any pathological mental label whatsoever.
    I have to leave now, @Citta, but I'll be back this evening and hopefully you'll develop the subject.
    After all, it belongs in the topic and it would make me feel less naïve when praying my mantras.

EvenThird
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

If we say that the Dhyani Buddhas have material existence, that they occupy space like you and I, that would be misleading.

But it would be misleading also to say that they only exist as personifications of mental qualities or faculties.

To understand the nature of their reality we need to look at the Trikaya doctrine.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Anataman shakes his head, and says to no one in particular. Are we really not ready or able to comprehend or know ourselves?

edited June 2014

I have missed on which sutta it is written that we have to "know or comprehend ourselves."
    If you never ask, you never learn. "People who don't ask and therefore never learn" equals perfect definition of ignorant.
    You dare ask, you're ignorant for five minutes. You never ask, ignorant all your life.

anataman

@Citta said:
    Yes I pray. Outer and inner are in actuality a continuum, or so I am taught. So I pray.

I have copied and pasted this comment you made on another thread.
    In the case of mantras, and your personal experience, how do you pray, why do you pray, who do you pray to?

• CittaCitta Veteran

@dharmamom I have a pretty full-on day. Clinics all day.

I will pm you later.

Then I will be taking a break from the forum.

Metta to all.

_/_

• with our mind we create the world so why not create a fabulous one i sometimes project giant white tara (TAM) into the sky when out walking or visualise vajrasattva in huge form it makes me laugh how amazing the mind is reality at that time is what i choose .