Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Romanticism.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited December 2006 in Buddhism Today
Everyone,

This topic could easily apply to any sort of Western Buddhism (not necessarily American Buddhism), but I thought that I would share with you a talk by Thanissaro Bhikkhu entitled Buddhist Romanticism. It has to deal with themes from European Romanticism that influence the way we come to Buddhism, and how it is important to examine some of our assumption that we bring as we come to the Dhamma.

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Thanks very much for sharing Jason,

this is really an important issue, everyone should listen to it imo. I am very well read on the shape of western buddhism in Germany, I am not sure about the US but from what I perceive, there the tendency goes to link Buddhism with psyschotherapy, especially psychoanalysis, the later clearly being a product of german romanticism (includes german speaking countries). I perveive the general trend to link buddhism with scientism in the west, i.e. that Buddhsim will answer all questions for us, rather than putting an end to suffering.

I will hear that talk a couple of times again carefully I think(listend about half now), and put my thoughts and questions here when they arise.