Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A word on Perception yall.............

edited December 2006 in General Banter
See the Gastalt example here:

http://www.afn.org/~gestalt/fignd.htm

Letting go of what I was trying to inflect over in Buddhism 202 the thought arose,

" Possibly the difficulty in deliberating "meaning" when looking at various atta/anatta discussions is the contradictorty pathways involved that process that information. "

Just a thought.

Has anyone stood, leaned your head forward your waist to where it's pointing to the ground, then look behind you to see everthing it is state of arising from the earth.
Try* to watch how the mind processes that paradigm shift without labeling it), just observe..........

* I dislike that word try, it implies that failure is an option.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    i think i no what you mean.. i will " do " that iawa..
    i use to stand on my head ... and look at my surroundings differently for the first time..
    that is cool
    its also a good excersise to train the mind to have an open mind/perception of ones world around them..
    i invite you to try that.. just dont hurt yourself..lol
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Whilst it is possible to deconstruct a gestalt intellectually, it is quite another thing to do so perceptually. The chair on which I am sitting is just such a gestalt but I continue to be able to see it as a chair and sit on it despite the understanding that it is 'only' an assembly of parts, each being, itself, another gestalt, recursive.

What Perls and his colleagues noticed was that we function by a strange process: our attention fixes on a 'subject', which then detaches itself from the 'ground'. If we complete the business of percetion and action that attention requires, the circle of the gestalt is completed. If we do not, we are left with 'unfinished business' which, as they thought at Esalen and elsewhere, requires to be completed at a later time.

In the examples of optical illusions on the linked page, we can see either one gestalt or another, we cannot see both at once although both are there together.
  • edited December 2006

In the examples of optical illusions on the linked page, we can see either one gestalt or another, we cannot see both at once although both are there together.

If it is true with visual perceptions, then it should follow that metnal formations abide along the same axiom. IMO that is why the disscussion atta/anatta has been continued for so long.
  • edited December 2006
    colleen wrote:
    i think i no what you mean.. i will " do " that iawa..
    i use to stand on my head ... and look at my surroundings differently for the first time..
    that is cool
    its also a good excersise to train the mind to have an open mind/perception of ones world around them..
    i invite you to try that.. just dont hurt yourself..lol

At least there's nowhere to fall from, or is there hmmmmmmmm....:om: