Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism is not what you think by Steve Hagen

I started to read this last night. The first section of the book is called Muddy Waters. Right away I had a great visual.
I SCUBA dive. Anyone that has SCUBA'd has probably had the experience of going down the anchor line and hitting the bottom, and stirring up a bunch of silt. This of course reduces your 'vis', sometime making it impossible to see. The best, and often the only thing to do is to wait calmly and patiently for the silt to settle.
Now I'm not sure if this is what Steve Hagen is actually getting at, but I still think it is a great metaphor of what Buddhism tries to teach.
Now a Question...what do you do when all the other divers around you continue to flog around and try to dig for treasures under the silt, stirring up the bottom and messing the visibility for everyone else?

PS... if you ever want to be in the direct moment...try running out of air at 100FT....

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Hello Bikerfry, and welcome, from me.... ;)

I guess either move away from what is stirring things up, and find a quiet space to see things more clearly.....or wait for them to disperse, but keep a clear and open mind.....

And develop good lung control.....!
  • edited May 2009
    you should cease to find fault with others
  • edited May 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Hello Bikerfry, and welcome, from me.... ;)

I guess either move away from what is stirring things up, and find a quiet space to see things more clearly.....or wait for them to disperse, but keep a clear and open mind.....

And develop good lung control.....!
    I have had this issue before. I recently stopped hanging out with my regular group of friends because I felt like they were "murking up my water" so to speak. I was surrounded with worldy pleasures, afflicted desires, etc.