Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"An Inconvienent Truth"

edited December 2006 in Arts & Writings
Anyone seen this yet? I rented it and hope to watch it this week sometime. My review will be posted as soon as I see it.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Well done and very scary. I thought Al did a really good job. It wasn't just a fluff piece to boost his ego like most politicians would have made it. The part showing the melted glaciers was really upsetting.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    We watched it in our science class this past week. I thought it was rather boring, but then agains I am more into action movies. It didn't scare me much. While I acknowlege global warming, I am not worried about it.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Unfortunately it's going to be devastating to your generation.

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited December 2006
    perhaps it will provide me with warmer holiday destinations ;)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, you could visit the uninhabitable desert that used to be known as Europe, for instance. Or go SCUBA diving down to see the drowned ruins of Miami or Disney World. All kinds of fun things!

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    The drowned ruins of Miami or Disney world suddenly sound more attractive...:grin:

But Palzang is right, Knight....Take note now, of what legacy our generation is leaving yours - and weep in despair.
  • edited December 2006
    I've never watched 'Oprah' before...but since he Mr. Gore was on yesterday, talking about this, I tuned in. I'm glad that he is doing everything he can to get this 'inconvenient truth', out there in whatever way he can. I'm certain that by doing Oprah's show...that he reached a group of people unaware of just how bad things are getting/going to get.
  • edited December 2006
    It scares me to death, really. I want this Earth to be liveable for our grandchildren, and their grandchildren! And what about all of the animals/creatures that are going to suffer and/or be extinct because of how we are mistreating the earth? It's terribly sad.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I also was watching a show on the History Channel last night about the mini-ice age that occurred about 700-200 years ago. At the end they were talking about global warming and its possible effects on the weather. Some scientists believe that if the polar ice caps melt (which they are at an alarming rate) it will shut down the Gulf Stream which heats up northern Europe and the world in general. That would result in the onset of a new ice age, a real one, not a mini, and it would almost certainly have a rapid onset (rapid meaning decades, not centuries). Something to look forward to for all you winter sports fans!

Palzang
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Wasn't this originally a indie film? And then made it into theatres? I've been meaning to see it, it will surely drive me to do quite a bit of research into this topic, and then forcefully educate my family about it. :lol:
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    .... Some scientists believe that if the polar ice caps melt (which they are at an alarming rate) it will shut down the Gulf Stream which heats up northern Europe and the world in general. That would result in the onset of a new ice age, a real one, not a mini, and it would almost certainly have a rapid onset (rapid meaning decades, not centuries). ....
    HA HA! I loved that documentary! I watched it on the Science Channel. Very fascinating when they dropped the torpedo thing into the ocean to get those readings. Pretty scary though. Do you remember the name? I was intending to buy that one.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I think that may have been a different one, Keith. This was a 2 hour History Channel production, probably one of their History's Mysteries series. The global warming part came at the end. Most of it was about the devastating consequences of the mini ice age on world history. For instance, the reason the Irish began eating potatoes is because the potatoes were resistant to the colder than normal weather, while their cereal grains, which they had traditionally eaten, were not and died. People in France, who refused to change to a potato diet, starved to death in vast numbers. The cold weather also killed off most of Napoleon's army when they were retreating from Russia.

Palzang
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    I think that may have been a different one, Keith. This was a 2 hour History Channel production, probably one of their History's Mysteries series. The global warming part came at the end. Most of it was about the devastating consequences of the mini ice age on world history. ....
    Ahh, I jumped to conclusions. The one I watched was all about the gulf stream, and how that flow has changed, how it will change, and how that is/will effect us. They went into detail about how the glaciers melting, stopping the gulf stream, what the gulf stream does, and how that would cause spiratic very unpredictable weather, and then an ice age. Near the end of this one, there were a bunch of scientists on a boat late at night dropping a torpedo into the ocean that would torpedo its way into the deep to measure the power of the flow, and they were very surprised at how much slower it was.
  • edited December 2006
    keithg - that sounds very interesting. Please let me know if you remember the name of that. I haven't had time to watch the "Inconvienent Truth" yet...hopefully, in the next few days. I was buried in my new book last night!

Palzang...I do love winter, but not that much!
  • edited December 2006
    I recently saw a picture of a Polar bear, sitting on a very small iceberg, waiting for all of the other water to freeze so that he could actually walk around on it. The caption was talking about how this was so odd....normally, all of that water would have been frozen! That poor bear was just waiting. :(
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I've heard that among the risks of global warming is the possibility of the atmospheric temperatue layers doing a shift (convection). If I remember correctly, this would sort of be like the air warming to a point where it sort of bubbles up through the colder layers of air to the higher atmospheric levels, and in turn bringing the cold weather down to the lower levels. I believe it was said this kind of shift would be quick & dramatic & is perhaps what all the talk of a future ice age is about. I don't remember where I heard this though.

_/\_
  • edited December 2006
    This stuff fascinates me...that's very interesting! So when these people talk about a future ice age, what time frame are we talking here? Something I will experience, our something my grandkids will experience? Right now, it just seems like all we are doing now is getting warmer and warmer...

Did anyone live in the Midwest as a child? We had such HUGE snowstorms when I was growing up. We could actually build snow tunnels through all the neighbors yards and travel around in them. It was great fun! Now we hardly get any snow or cold weather. Other than the 15" of snow we got last week. That was fun.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    This is not an easy nor a quick read but it summarises the state of knowledge and the recommendations for urgent action:

The Stern Review

This is the document currently being accepted by our government. We shall have to see if they do anything and whether the eanything that they do makes any difference. The changes in climate are becoming obvious to anyone who has to go outside an air-conditioned world.
  • edited December 2006
    I am just not one of those people who is constantly worried about things. "Save the Trees"..."Save the Whales"..."Save the Monkey Eating Eagle of the Philipines"....yes there is such a thing, I had to do a report on it. The biggest arrogance of humanity is to think that we can "Save the Planet."

We can't take care of ourselves or each other and we think that we can save the planet. The Earth is gunna be here for a very...very long time. We probably won't unless we colonize other planets and make them habitable. The Earth will keep going and spinning until the death of our star. We...well we will probably be long gone. We will either kill ourselves or the planet will do that for us. If anything, we humans are just another surface pest.

My point is, I don't see how worrying about what might happen to the planet is going to solve anything. Do I honestly think a few plastic bottles and recycled paper is gunna change the course of our planet? Doubt it...

Me...I am going to enjoy what is left of it. Ride the bike until the wheels fall off I say. And about my children or grandchildren...well that's too bad because I don't plan on having any. Selfish I know but how can we accurately predict the weather in 50 years when my idiot news stations can't say whether it will snow or not tomorrow?

And about the depleting snow falls, that's silly as well. In Ohio last year, we had the most mild winter in years. But the year before, we had the highest snow fall on record. The year before that, it was mild I believe.

The planet goes through cycles; hot and cold. It will keep doing it's thing. For millions of years, the planet has endured mass extinctions and dozens of ice ages. We didn't cause all of these.

I know that global warming is affecting us, and maybe an ice age is coming, but a teenager sitting here senselessly worrying about what might happen, is a waste of precious time.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Here we go: "Because of these recent extremes, the pace at which average global temperatures have been rising, which amounted to about +0.6°C over the past century, accelerated in the past two decades to an equivalent rate of +1.0°C per century."

Source: Common Misconceptions about Abrupt Climate Change
    edited December 2006
    keithg wrote:
    Here we go: "Because of these recent extremes, the pace at which average global temperatures have been rising, which amounted to about +0.6°C over the past century, accelerated in the past two decades to an equivalent rate of +1.0°C per century."

Source: Common Misconceptions about Abrupt Climate Change

I'm not sure what conclusion you are drawing from the site above. Their conclusion is:
    Q. Is there anything we can do about it?
    A. The major stress on the climate system now is rapidly rising greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere, and a significant portion of that is from human activity. Take steps to reduce the rate of increase (and eventually decrease) the greenhouse gas concentration, and future changes in climate may be reduced or delayed.
    edited December 2006
    I am just not one of those people who is constantly worried about things. "Save the Trees"..."Save the Whales"..."Save the Monkey Eating Eagle of the Philipines"....yes there is such a thing, I had to do a report on it. The biggest arrogance of humanity is to think that we can "Save the Planet."

We can't take care of ourselves or each other and we think that we can save the planet. The Earth is gunna be here for a very...very long time. We probably won't unless we colonize other planets and make them habitable. The Earth will keep going and spinning until the death of our star. We...well we will probably be long gone. We will either kill ourselves or the planet will do that for us. If anything, we humans are just another surface pest.

My point is, I don't see how worrying about what might happen to the planet is going to solve anything. Do I honestly think a few plastic bottles and recycled paper is gunna change the course of our planet? Doubt it...

Me...I am going to enjoy what is left of it. Ride the bike until the wheels fall off I say. And about my children or grandchildren...well that's too bad because I don't plan on having any. Selfish I know but how can we accurately predict the weather in 50 years when my idiot news stations can't say whether it will snow or not tomorrow?

And about the depleting snow falls, that's silly as well. In Ohio last year, we had the most mild winter in years. But the year before, we had the highest snow fall on record. The year before that, it was mild I believe.

The planet goes through cycles; hot and cold. It will keep doing it's thing. For millions of years, the planet has endured mass extinctions and dozens of ice ages. We didn't cause all of these.

I know that global warming is affecting us, and maybe an ice age is coming, but a teenager sitting here senselessly worrying about what might happen, is a waste of precious time.

Most of the time, KoB, your comments show maturity but this attitude of "I'm OK, Jack" is precisely the opposite of what the Buddha teaches about our interdependence. I can find nothing written anywhere that suggests that you should be "sitting here senselessly worrying about what might happen". On the contrary, you need to be getting up and doing something!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    My thoughts exactly, Simon.

No one is asking you to sit around worrying about it, KOB. You're being asked to DO something about it. We CAN prevent total catastrophe, but not if everyone thinks like you do. I very seriously urge you to change your perspective, KOB. Apathy and silence are the voices of complicity.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006

I'm not sure what conclusion you are drawing from the site above. Their conclusion is:
    Oh, I just thought I would share that detail. I had looked around to figure out how rapidly the temperature is increasing.
    edited December 2006
    this is the Stern Review's summary of the science:
    Key Messages

An overwhelming body of scientific evidence now clearly indicates that climate change is a serious and urgent issue. The Earth’s climate is rapidly changing, mainly as a result of increases in greenhouse gases caused by human activities.

Most climate models show that a doubling of pre-industrial levels of greenhouse gases is very likely to commit the Earth to a rise of between 2 – 5°C in global mean temperatures. This level of greenhouse gases will probably be reached between 2030 and 2060. A warming of 5°C on a global scale would be far outside the experience of human civilisation and comparable to the difference between temperatures during the last ice age and today. Several new studies suggest up to a 20% chance that warming could be greater than 5°C.

If annual greenhouse gas emissions remained at the current level, concentrations would be more than treble pre-industrial levels by 2100, committing the world to 3 – 10°C warming, based on the latest climate projections.

Some impacts of climate change itself may amplify warming further by triggering the release of additional greenhouse gases. This creates a real risk of even higher temperature changes.

• Higher temperatures cause plants and soils to soak up less carbon from the atmosphere and cause permafrost to thaw, potentially releasing large quantities of methane.

• Analysis of warming events in the distant past indicates that such feedbacks could amplify warming by an additional 1 – 2°C by the end of the century.

Warming is very likely to intensify the water cycle, reinforcing existing patterns of water scarcity and abundance and increasing the risk of droughts and floods.

Rainfall is likely to increase at high latitudes, while regions with Mediterranean-like climates in both hemispheres will experience significant reductions in rainfall. Preliminary estimates suggest that the fraction of land area in extreme drought at any one time will increase from 1% to 30% by the end of this century. In other regions, warmer air and warmer oceans are likely to drive more intense storms, particularly hurricanes and typhoons.

As the world warms, the risk of abrupt and large-scale changes in the climate system will rise.

• Changes in the distribution of heat around the world are likely to disrupt ocean and atmospheric circulations, leading to large and possibly abrupt shifts in regional weather patterns.

• If the Greenland or West Antarctic Ice Sheets began to melt irreversibly, the rate of sea level rise could more than double, committing the world to an eventual sea level rise of 5 – 12 m over several centuries.

The body of evidence and the growing quantitative assessment of risks are now sufficient to give clear and strong guidance to economists and policy-makers in shaping a response.
  • edited December 2006

Then you are sadly mistaken. If we all had that attitude, our planet would be in much worse shape than it is now. If we all do little things together, that amounts to doing HUGE things for the planet. Attitudes like this really worry me.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    KOB, I agree with the others. It is just this sort of sit-on-your-hands GAF it-doesn't-matter-what-I-do attitude that has put us in the dire straits we now find ourselves in. We created the problem; it's up to us to fix it. Nature also has its remedies if we don't act, but I doubt whether we'd like them very much.

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    We may have much to learn from KoB's comments.

First, I think that we need to understand the feeling of powerlessness in the face of a problem that seems so vast. It is similar to the powerlessness that is experienced by the individual elector in our enormous 'democracies'.

The result is, very often, a 'switching off', a disengagement, am alienation.

I am reminded of a conversation that I had, as an undergraduate, with Maurice Bowra. He had been a tutor at Wadham College during the Suez Crisis (eight years ealier in 1956) and had been horrified to find the students taking the attitude that "the government knows best". He celebrated the fact that my generation was becoming politicised again. We believed - as I still do - that the individual can make a difference and that individuals must organise, with other individuals, to ensure it.

One of the strong objections that many of my activist friends have against Buddhism as they perceive it is a certain 'resignation', an acceptance that, as we are all in samsara, things may be sh*t but that's the way they are and we 'escape' through the Noble Eighfold Path rather than working for change. Whilst I, among others, know this to be a distortion, it has a worrying grain of truth to it.

It is also worrying because helplessness has so often resulted in random acts of violence by which the young in particular try to inject some meaning into a senseless world.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    That kind of attitude is a cop-out, Simon. That's certainly not the brand of Buddhism my teacher teaches, nor does anyone else I'm aware of. That's idiot Buddhism. We are taught to be activist, such as rescuing dogs that are facing euthanasia or working to change our communities and our nations for the better. To do otherwise is not at all what the Buddha taught. We're not taught to go hide in a cave somewhere and pretend nothing matters. If we do a retreat in a cave, it's not to hide but to attain enlightenment so that we can be of true benefit to sentient beings, not to disappear into some nebulous fog of "enlightened bliss". When I first came to Buddhism that's exactly what I was looking for, an escape from the suffering of samsara, a way to completely shut myself off, but that's not what I discovered there. That's a very childish, immature attitude that doesn't want to deal with the realities of life, and is certainly not at all what the Buddha taught. There are other religions for people who want that!

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    That kind of attitude is a cop-out, Simon. That's certainly not the brand of Buddhism my teacher teaches, nor does anyone else I'm aware of. That's idiot Buddhism. We are taught to be activist, such as rescuing dogs that are facing euthanasia or working to change our communities and our nations for the better. To do otherwise is not at all what the Buddha taught. We're not taught to go hide in a cave somewhere and pretend nothing matters. If we do a retreat in a cave, it's not to hide but to attain enlightenment so that we can be of true benefit to sentient beings, not to disappear into some nebulous fog of "enlightened bliss". When I first came to Buddhism that's exactly what I was looking for, an escape from the suffering of samsara, a way to completely shut myself off, but that's not what I discovered there. That's a very childish, immature attitude that doesn't want to deal with the realities of life, and is certainly not at all what the Buddha taught. There are other religions for people who want that!

Palzang

I agree entirely, P. It is why we need to be visible. Fortunately, over there in the US, the Buddhist community's early commitment to working with people with AIDS and the wonderful Shanti project has done just that. Over here, Buddhism is still seen as a 'sitting practice' rather than an active engagement.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You're right, Simon. It's that way to some degree here too, though it's changing slowly as the darkness gets thicker and more palpable. People are waking up to the fact that they themselves need to act, not just sit and hope somebody does something.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Most of the time, KoB, your comments show maturity but this attitude of "I'm OK, Jack" is precisely the opposite of what the Buddha teaches about our interdependence. I can find nothing written anywhere that suggests that you should be "sitting here senselessly worrying about what might happen". On the contrary, you need to be getting up and doing something!

Well I am pleased to hear my comments ring of maturity most of the times. I don't intend them as such, rather I do consider myself a very immature person. What I do stress in what I say is honesty. And whether it comes across as mature or not is always debatable.

I am obviously overwhelmingly outnumbered in my stance here and I would rather not pursue this arguement in much detail or much longer for that matter. But someone please do tell me what I as a penniless teenager can do to stop global warming? And I think awareness of the problem would be a rather weak answer. I mean awareness of my death is not going to stop it from happening nor global warming for that matter.

The problem with trying to fix global warming is that there just isn't enough motivation. If people can't see the results quickly, they are not willing to invest their time or money into it. This is just a result of our consumer culture.

Now I am all for a clean environment. But somehow convincing people of the urgency of a problem like this is not going to happen in regards to global warming. So I feel that if global warming is a fact and our time of tribulation is at hand, it is inevitable because not enough people care.

So I feel it would only be reasonable to enjoy what time I do have left, make the most of my situation, and have fun. We humans very well may be next on the Extinction List. If so, let's at least enjoy ourselves before that time comes.
  • edited December 2006
    KOB - you don't have to have money to do these things:

drive less and drive more fuel-efficient and less-polluting cars, use energy-efficient appliances and use less electricity in general. And recycle! That doesn't cost you anything.
  • edited December 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    KOB - you don't have to have money to do these things:

drive less and drive more fuel-efficient and less-polluting cars, use energy-efficient appliances and use less electricity in general. And recycle! That doesn't cost you anything.

Herein lies the very motivational failure of this whole arguement. I am speaking on behalf of Americans, but many others would be included. People are not going to stop driving and commuting where they have to. Many people can't afford the fuel efficient cars and must resort to 'beaters' which are gas guzzlers as well.

The problem is that people are not going to be willing to change the way they live their lives if they don't see a benefit personally. It is greedy, but it is the truth. Education on this topic will work to an extent, but will never be accepted by the masses unless they have some big reasons for doing so.
  • edited December 2006
    I agree with Knight of Buddha, how would a simpleton like me fix the world. I am not against promoting a better earth, but I highly doubt my Dr. Pepper cans can clean the oceans and filter the air. Like KOB said, I just don't have the motivation.

If I saw a big problem arising in the future, without speculation that this would happen, then I might put time into recycling. As George Carlin said, we are just another evolutionary failure, the earth has seen worse. The earth has been hit with meteors, had constant lava activity, and seen massive cold and hot spells, this is just another. The earth has warmed up significantly in the past and this is just, as my parents say, a "phase".

I am seventeen, I do not drive (a plus for you people who think that driving fuel-efficient cars make the world cleaner), and I don't go out into the ocean and dump radioactive waste at a fast rate. People just need to liven up and promote the idea of "Dontcareenessness".
    edited December 2006
    Some things that (even) a young person can do:

* Use as few lights as yoiu can and turn them off when you leave a room empty.

* Turn off your computer, tv, etc. Do not leave them on "standby" when not in use.

* Do not run the tap (faucet) when brushing your teeth.

* Recycle whatever you can and try to use as much recycled material (paper, etc.) as you can find.

* Persuade your parents to change light bulbs to low-energy bulbs.

* Drive less and walk more whenever possible.

These may seem small things but if every 17-year-old in the US did them, the effect would be cumulatively enormous.

Never believe that you can make no difference. Only YOU can change the world.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited December 2006
    Some things that (even) a young person can do:

* Use as few lights as yoiu can and turn them off when you leave a room empty.

* Turn off your computer, tv, etc. Do not leave them on "standby" when not in use.

* Do not run the tap (faucet) when brushing your teeth.

* Recycle whatever you can and try to use as much recycled material (paper, etc.) as you can find.

* Persuade your parents to change light bulbs to low-energy bulbs.

* Drive less and walk more whenever possible.

These may seem small things but if every 17-year-old in the US did them, the effect would be cumulatively enormous.

Never believe that you can make no difference. Only YOU can change the world.
    I'm actually a 17 year old, and I try to walk to places when I can. I have persuaded my mom to buy low energy bulbs. I turn off the lights when they aren't in use, I like the dark so I usually have all the lights off anyway. I close the door and turn the heater down in rooms that are not in use. I try to remember to turn off the faucet when brushing my teeth. And we recycle. :)

And really it's not very hard. Just have to turn it into a habit, and it becomes everyday and easy. I recommend starting with one thing, turn it into a habit, then branch out from there. Otherwise it becomes to hard to do everything. I've only recently started turning the heaters off in rooms that aren't in use, that took a while for me to start doing.
    edited December 2006
    That's it, Keithg: think globally, act locally.

And teach your parents well. Your future depends on it.

• edited December 2006
    I am speaking on behalf of Americans, but many others would be included. People are not going to stop driving and commuting where they have to. Many people can't afford the fuel efficient cars and must resort to 'beaters' which are gas guzzlers as well.

The problem is that people are not going to be willing to change the way they live their lives if they don't see a benefit personally. It is greedy, but it is the truth. Education on this topic will work to an extent, but will never be accepted by the masses unless they have some big reasons for doing so.

Not really sure how you can say that about everyone, KOB. Plenty of us are more than willing to make a few small changes in order to help the environment. Plenty of people have figured out different ways to get to work - or have moved closer to their office or school, whatever.

It makes me sad to think that most people (as you say) don't see a "benefit" in making small changes in order to save our planet! I have a hard time believing that most people don't see the benefit in that!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, nobody's talking about changing the world, KOB. Change yourself, and the world will follow.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    I just came across this website and I love it. I am going to make some donations for Christmas presents for a few people. I wonder how they will like it as a Christmas present?? I'll let you all know what the look on their face is after I explain it!

http://carbonfund.org/site/
  • edited December 2006
  • edited December 2006
    So we finally got a chance to watch the film last night. Wow. It's absolutely amazing, and very scary. I really enjoyed listening to Al Gore. He is truly sincere and genuine, and I couldn't help but think about how different things would be if he had been elected as the President. Sure would be nice to have a compassionate President.

I truly believe that EVERYONE needs to see this film. It was a real eye opener. My husband and I talked a lot after we watched it about all the things we were going to do to make some more changes. We are truly scared for our daughter, and our grandchildren and all the animals, birds and plant life that we are killing. We are completely destroying this planet.

http://www.climatecrisis.net/
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I truly enjoyed the film.

I also enjoyed the bit about the huge fresh water lake in Canada (those damn Canadians!) that dumped into the Atlantic and threw us into another Ice Age. I had heard that story/theory years ago and thought it was frightening then. But, I could never find that story/theory again.

Glad I'm not making up EVERYTHING I think about.

It is scary though. When you think of fuel, waste, pollution, ecology - you wonder what our legacy will be. What will our grandchildren have to look forward to?

Do you know that there has been so much garbage dumped off the coast of the eastern side of the US that it has accumulated to actually make a ridge at the bottom of the ocean that is discernable?

Will our grandchildren tell their children that Soylent Green is made out of humans?

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Wasn't it crazy how they showed what would happen to the southern portion of Florida, Manhattan, and parts of California and other parts of the country if we continue to follow the same path? Where are all those people going to go???!!!

I did not know that there was that much garbage dumped off the eastern coast. That is so sad.

I wonder how long it is going ot be before Polar Bears are extinct. :( I just know our grandchildren/great grandchildren are going to say "What were you guys thinking???!!!"
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    "It's the end of the world as we know it..." :eek:

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    I watched the movie yesterday. WOW!!!! I felt Al Gore did an excellent job expressing his points clearly so everyone could understand. I will be buying copies for all my friends and family. I believe everyone should see this movie. Most of it I already knew but to see it happening and hearing him explain it all in his way really did make it even more real than before. And I didn't question it before.

We must raise our children to understand what is going on and that they have to help their planet- our planet. I did not raise my children with as much understanding as I wished I had but as they are both adults now I do intend to continue to educate them on this issue as much as I possibly can and hope that they listen and act.

As written on the inside cover of "an inconvenient truth"

Replacing one regular light bulb with a compact fluorescent light will save 150 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year.

Walk,bike,carpool or take metro transit more often. You'll save one lb. of carbon dioxide for every mile you don't drive.

You can save 2,400 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year by recycling just half of your household waste.

Keeping your tires inflated properly can improve gas mileage by more than 3%. Every gallon of gasoline saved keeps 20 lbs. of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

It takes a lot of energy to heat water. Use less hot water by installing a low-flow showerhead (350 lbs. of CO 2 saved per year) and washing your clothes in cold or warm water ( 500 lbs. saved per year) You can save 1,200 lbs. of carbon dioxide if you cut down your garbage by 10%. By avoiding products with a lot of packaging.

Moving your thermostat down just 2 degrees in winter and up 2 degrees in summer could save about 2,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide per year.

Plant a tree. A single tree will absorb one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime.

Turning off your TV,DVD player, stereo and computer when you're not using them will save 1000's of lbs. of carbon dioxde per year.

I would also like to add for ppl who can use solar panels, they also would be helpful.

If just one of us on this site would do these things how can it not help? If everyone on this site did these things.........think how much more it would help. It really does not take that much work to do these things. And most of them are at no extra cost to us. Just a little effort.

If we try and fail, then we at least tried. But I for one would have a hard time forgiving myself if I don't at least try to do my part.

I could go on and on but I will now step down off my soap box.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Just read this article over at E-Sangha. Scary stuff:

Disappearing world: Global warming claims tropical island

Published: 24 December 2006
    For the first time, an inhabited island has disappeared beneath rising seas.

Environment Editor Geoffrey Lean reports:

Rising seas, caused by global warming, have for the first time washed an inhabited island off the face of the Earth. The obliteration of Lohachara island, in India's part of the Sundarbans where the Ganges and the Brahmaputra rivers empty into the Bay of Bengal, marks the moment when one of the most apocalyptic predictions of environmentalists and climate scientists has started coming true.

As the seas continue to swell, they will swallow whole island nations, from the Maldives to the Marshall Islands, inundate vast areas of countries from Bangladesh to Egypt, and submerge parts of scores of coastal cities.

Eight years ago, as exclusively reported in The Independent on Sunday, the first uninhabited islands - in the Pacific atoll nation of Kiribati - vanished beneath the waves. The people of low-lying islands in Vanuatu, also in the Pacific, have been evacuated as a precaution, but the land still juts above the sea. The disappearance of Lohachara, once home to 10,000 people, is unprecedented.

It has been officially recorded in a six-year study of the Sunderbans by researchers at Calcutta's Jadavpur University. So remote is the island that the researchers first learned of its submergence, and that of an uninhabited neighbouring island, Suparibhanga, when they saw they had vanished from satellite pictures.

Two-thirds of nearby populated island Ghoramara has also been permanently inundated. Dr Sugata Hazra, director of the university's School of Oceanographic Studies, says "it is only a matter of some years" before it is swallowed up too. Dr Hazra says there are now a dozen "vanishing islands" in India's part of the delta. The area's 400 tigers are also in danger.

Until now the Carteret Islands off Papua New Guinea were expected to be the first populated ones to disappear, in about eight years' time, but Lohachara has beaten them to the dubious distinction.

Human cost of global warming: Rising seas will soon make 70,000 people homeless

Refugees from the vanished Lohachara island and the disappearing Ghoramara island have fled to Sagar, but this island has already lost 7,500 acres of land to the sea. In all, a dozen islands, home to 70,000 people, are in danger of being submerged by the rising seas.

Article

_/\_
    metta