Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Struggles delving into the sixth contemplation on death.

"6. There are many causes of death- even habits and desires are precipitents. Holding this thought in mind, I consider the endless possibilities."
I love meditating on the 9 contemplations, but this one always trips me up. I find myself wandering off into images of various and sundry possible deaths without really getting much out of it. Any thoughts or insights surrounding this contemplation?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2014

As there are 'endless possibilities' maybe the point is to accept but not delve too deeply?

Just know that you, and everything connected to you, and everything NOT connected to you, will die/come to an end.

What more do you need to meditate on?

Not trying to be clever or smarmy. But it seems logical; as getting 'tripped up' by this specific contemplation seems to be a hindrance, let it go with only the acknowledgement. It needs no more....

• @federica, no worries, you didn't come across as smarmy. Perhaps I am over complicating the matter. If there is some deeper insight that will come to fruition from this contemplation, it will arrive in its own time.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2014

I have oftern found that to be the case. An "Ahaah!" moment down the road can be very satisfying, whereas tying one's self in knots trying to define and divine meaning in such lessons, is very frustrating.

Divine in this sense....

divine (2)

dɪˈvʌɪn/
    verb

gerund or present participle: divining

>

discover (something) by guesswork or intuition.

"mum had divined my state of mind"

synonyms: guess, surmise, conjecture, suspect, suppose, assume, presume, deduce, infer, work out, theorize, hypothesize

>

overthecuckoosnest