Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Online book lending service.

Has anyone here use online book lending service? I am thinking of scribd, but not so sure if that is common or good?

Please share.

Thanks,
mmo

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

scribd is a pretty good service. I don't use them for books much, I just get ebooks or regular books from the library system here, or I buy them if I think I will read them more than once. But I have used scribd for documents and other things and they are pretty easy to use.

Invincible_summer
  • mmommo Veteran

They now have subscription service. It is like $8.99 a month. And you can read copyrighted materials online. Just wondered how they managed it. Even amazon kindle owner lending library is nowhere near as attractive as what scribd is offering. Just worried about legal issues.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh, @mmo, I didn't realise you were a Lama..... :p .

• mmommo Veteran

@federica‌

Yea I changed. :) it is so cute. :D

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I was kidding.... :D .

That's a Llama, not a Lama!! But it IS cute....! ;) .

mmo
    edited July 2014

The reason they offer so many books for the price is that they depend on user uploads. Which means, a lot of the books that are on there, are not legal uploads of the content (ie done by the publisher and/or author). They are just people who own the books and post them online for others, which at least in the US isn't technically legal. They get away with a cheap price because they are not paying for all that content unlike Amazon (or whatever other service). Their goal appears to compete with Amazon but only some of their stuff is legal. If it is uploaded by a publisher, it is fine. But if it is uploaded by a user, chances are it is illegal (as far as books go...lots of people upload public use stuff as well which is fine).

When a user takes a book and uploads it for others to take for free, it is no different from music or movie piracy.

The amazon lending library isn't meant to be a total library. It is just a small perk of having a prime membership. A selection of limited, free books that you can only have one of at a time is hardly a huge feature, lol

• mmommo Veteran

We'll I guess if I just stick to the legal content recognised by publishers, then I am not stealing anyone work lol.

rohit

Pretty much :D