Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tomorrow is Bodhi Day...

edited December 2007 in Buddhism Basics
...if one were to "celebrate" it are there any sites that are recommended to check out on it? I know what the day is and what it represents but need more info... thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited December 2006
    http://familydharma.pulelehuadesign.com/bodhi.htm

http://www.purifymind.com/ChristmasTime.htm

http://www.aboutulverston.co.uk/celts/buddhistchristmas.htm

http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/pureland_sangha/id75.html

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for or not but these are a few sites I've been to lately checking out celebrating the holidays.

I think it would be great if anyone wants to share how they celebrate today or during the holidays. I for one have been thinking a lot about this lately.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Just as a minor point, regarding info from the second link....I believe the origin of Easter is not Eostre, from 'Dawn', but from 'Oestros' meaning Egg... this denotes fresh growth, fertility and a reason why we have Easter 'Eggs'.....

But I'm sure that as with many words derived from ancient roots, it may be debatable.

Great links though, thank you! :)
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks Fede,

To be honest I have no clue........wasn't even sure if these links would be helpful or the information correct. They were just a few I had been to in the last couple of weeks.

Deb
  • edited December 2006
    a Bodhi day? If not why? (please 20 words or less)

But first a word from our sponsor:

Whoever Sees Me
    At the time of the Buddha there was a monk who was so infatuated with the Buddha that he followed him around like a puppy dog. Wherever the Buddha went, this monk went too. One day the monk became very ill and had to stay in bed. As he was lying in bed he started crying. When the other monks came to see him he said, I am crying because, being ill, I can't see the Buddha. Upon learning this, the Buddha immediately came to visit the sick monk, who brightened up and looked happy again. Then the Buddha said to him, Whoever sees me, sees the dhamma; whoever sees the dhamma, sees me. Whoever sees a Buddha, sees nothing but enlightenment, which is the essence of the dhamma. Whoever can see the dhamma within, sees the Buddha, equaling enlightenment. The greatest jewel is recognizing the dhamma in oneself and not being attached to any one person, even the Buddha, who only wants to be our guide. When true confidence arises in the dhamma, it gives great impetus to the practice. ---Ayya Khema, When the Iron Eagle Flies

In Gassho
    Steve
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    As many of you may know, I am very fond of ritual as a vehicle for reverence.

Today represents a double festival for me. In the Christian calendar, it is the feast of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M., the mother of Jesus. And, as this thread says, it is Bodhi Day, the day specifically to reflect on the story of the Ascetic Gotama's time of meditation, struggle with Mara, and his Awakening.

Although I can find ways of linking the two, I have preferred, today to divide the day between them.

This morning, I reflected on the story of the Buddha. I used visual imagery with a thangka which I have shown here before, I practised prostrations at sunrise to focus on awakening in its many meanings. That is really all that I did which was specifically 'aimed' at Bodhi Day, although it floats in the air through all my other practices.

I did like the linked sites for celebrations which are more public in nature. It is one of the real benefits of so much inter-faith activity that we can construct meaningful, instructive and enjoyable 'liturgies' for diverse focuses of spirituality.
  • edited December 2006

As many of you may know, I am very fond of ritual as a vehicle for reverence.

You still riding that donk 'ay?;-)
    edited December 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    You still riding that donk 'ay?;-)

I see myself as a sanctuary for those old "donk'ays" which have been rejected by all those who thought them fun at Christmas but left them by the roadside later in the year.
  • Bobby_LanierBobby_Lanier Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Somewhat of a addition, but in the Mahayana tradition Sujata gave the Bodhisattva (who was to become a Buddha) "madhu-payasam" which can only be described as a kind of magical elixr (probably first mentioned in the Ramayana). In fact, the Bodhisattva had already renounced his acetic practices which he had been engaged with for some six years and partook of food. He ate dal, molasses, and boiled rice (cp. Lalitavistara Sutra).

For women, Sujata's role is significant. She is not some little village twit who gives the Bodhisattva some milk. Far from it. After drinking the madhu-payasam which Sujata offered the Bodhisattva who was invited to her home, the Bodhisattva said the following:

"Now that Sujata has offered such food to me, there can be no doubt, after partaking of it, I will obtain the perfect, supreme, and complete enlightenment" (Lalitavistara Sutra).

I don't wish to get into the symbolism of her name and its far reaching implications. But suffice it to say, every Bodhisattva must have his Sujata! (How romantic!)

So what is this madhu-payasam stuff? Well, the payasam in the Ramayana is a fertility drink! King Dasharatha's three wives drank payasam to get preggers. Sage Vasistha preformed a special sacrifice which at its conclusion Agni (the fire deity) emerged from the flames and gave King Dasharatha a vessel filled with this yummy celestial fertility pudding which was then given to the three wives. Most of the payasam went to his special wives, Kaushalya and Kaikeyi who in turn gave a share to Sumitra. It was Kaushalya who gave birth to Lord Rama (Rama is Brahman, or the absolute, as become manifest).

On finale note, on this special day, guys should be very careful about accepting divine pudding from unmarried maidens; especially in their homes. You may get pregnant and give birth to a Bodhi tree!

Love ya'll,

Bobby

P.S. You can buy Payasam at most Indian stores. Check it out on Wikipedia under Kheer. Oh, madhu means honey.
    edited December 2006
    Sujata's offering.
  • edited December 2006
    I see myself as a sanctuary for those old "donk'ays" which have been rejected by all those who thought them fun at Christmas but left them by the roadside later in the year.

Always the compassionate one, you are.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    A peaceful fruitful and light-filled Bodhi day to everyone!
  • edited December 2006
    :om: Here's hoping you all have a great and compassion filled day! :om:
  • edited December 2006
    Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Bodhi Day is the same as the John Lennon Commemorative?

hmmmm.............
  • edited December 2007
    http://familydharma.pulelehuadesign.com/bodhi.htm

http://www.purifymind.com/ChristmasTime.htm

http://www.aboutulverston.co.uk/celts/buddhistchristmas.htm

http://buddhistfaith.tripod.com/pureland_sangha/id75.html [<--defunct link]

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for or not but these are a few sites I've been to lately checking out celebrating the holidays.

I think it would be great if anyone wants to share how they celebrate today or during the holidays. I for one have been thinking a lot about this lately.

Very nice resources, and I'd like to bring attention back to them for this Christmas season. I especially like the interpretation of A Christmas Carol in the third link--I'll have to remember this next time I watch the movie!

EDIT: I just read the rest of the thread too...reminds me, Bodhi day this year is the day after tomorrow!
  • edited December 2007
    LOVE AND COMPASSION TO ALL OF YOU ON BODHI DAY!

Namaste'