Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Peaceful Warrior" Book

edited December 2006 in General Banter
I saw the movie a few months ago, and now I am reading the book. I highly recommend this book! I am on about page 40, and it is amazing. It is an excellent story, and deifnitely teaches a great lesson about life. Follows a lot of the Buddhist teachings.

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    If you like that book, check out Shambhala, Sacred Path of the Warrior, by Chogyam Trungpa, Rinpoche. Much the same idea, but this one is the real deal.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks - I will definitely check it out. Have you read the Peaceful Warrior book?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    No, doesn't interest me in the least. Same for the movie.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Even though you haven't read the book, or seen the movie, I'd love to know why it doesn't interest you at all. Do you think my time could be spent better on the book you mentioned? Do you think this particular book is not a good example of the buddhist teachings?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I don't have anything against it. Just doesn't interest me. The movie was in Sedona a while back and some people I knew went and saw it. They weren't impressed either. Just more Hollywood "mysticism" a la Kung Fu. The Shambhala book, on the other hand, is written by a bona fide master, one I respect very much, and can change your life if you follow it.

As for what you do with your time, that's up to you. I'm not saying the book wouldn't be entertaining or that you wouldn't get anything out of it. I'm just speaking for myself. Sometimes books really appeal to me for no apparent reason, and other times they're like teflon on teflon. I don't expect to set the standards for other people though! I may be dead wrong, after all...

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for clarifying! You just know a lot mroe about Biddhist teachins than I do, so I wanted to make sure that what I was reading wasn't leading me in the wrong direction. I do know that the book is not the "real thing" but I do find it very interesting and entertaining. And I am learning a few things that I personally can improve on in my life, so that's good. I will check out that other book you mentioned. Thank you. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, that's cool! You know, once you really get into the Dharma and make it part of your moment-to-moment thought process anything can be a Dharma teaching. I've found lots of jewels hidden in the most unlikely places, like a book or movie that has nothing at all to do with The Dharma. Two of the best "Dharma" movies I can think of fall into that category, The Sixth Sense and Groundhog Day (a great allegory about death and rebirth in cyclic existence).

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I saw the movie a few months ago, and now I am reading the book. I highly recommend this book! I am on about page 40, and it is amazing. It is an excellent story, and deifnitely teaches a great lesson about life. Follows a lot of the Buddhist teachings.

Sorry, I won't see the movie although I got many others to go. I read the book several years ago, and I wouldn't want to get a bad taste in my mouth now.