Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Atmosphere

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Basics
I was continually confused, when i noticed that i'm calmer at work than home.. calmer outside then at home..

For a while this concerned me until i realised that infact it was my mothers hectic atmosphere.. I do not wish to draw, paint, read.. or do anything when near her or even in the house.. i cannot sleep very well because my heart rate is too fast.. and i have trouble being more calm. It is only really when my parents go on hoiday, after a few days. the house becomes what it should be.. and the atmosphere becomes docile.

I then noticed at work... as usual a nooby middle aged woman came in like some sort of lightning bolt.. throwing energy everywhere... and i felt like my entire being was under attack by her frantic energy. This took concentration andfor a some minutes after i was still slightly recovering.

in dealing with this.. i would assume.. being more wary of it, accepting and converting the energy.. but even then, there is a limit to how far i can go.

and to take some teachings from sun tzu.. i cannot defeat this or battle it.. but only leave this enviroment. the sooner, the better.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Sounds familiar, but with me it's not my parents today.

Now, that is. It was about when I turned 28 that I could talk with my parents. It's been about 13 years since my dad first told me he respects me. Four years since I've forgiven him. Just yesterday, he actually approached me about this business venture that I'm starting, and he actually seemed proud.

At least he was alive for me to actually see it.

--Metta
  • edited December 2006
    You just need to grow up a bit Celebrin, and stop taking yourself so seriously.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I agree, ZM. Probably the hardest thing to learn growing up is that the universe really doesn't rotate around us!

Good to see you again, ZM.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    lol k
  • edited December 2006
    And you took that very well. I hope that isn't because you think I have some great insight here. I was a complete idiot as a teenager, way 'behind' you if I was to compare, so some of my response is coming from the experience that a lot of the angst that many often have as young people/teenagers is entirely unjustified but it takes stepping out of how we define ourselves to really see that at the time. As with my advice on manual labour, the point with, for example body work, is get out of your head, into your body and even better - serve others. The monastery where I am at the moment did that for the local community the day before yesterday and it was wonderful to see roles being reversed - the teachers becoming students, those who have in debt to those who have not, and to realize that this is in fact how reality is but we fail to acknowledge it much of the time. There is no them and us and in fact not even us. Giver and receiver disappear and there is no space for comparison, no space for self consciousness. Dana becomes a circle - no beginning, no end.
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Yeah, I agree, ZM. Probably the hardest thing to learn growing up is that the universe really doesn't rotate around us!

Good to see you again, ZM.

Palzang

Did I miss something, what's rotating around here?
  • edited December 2006
    As with my advice on manual labour, the point with, for example body work, is get out of your head, into your body and even better - serve others. The monastery where I am at the moment did that for the local community the day before yesterday and it was wonderful to see roles being reversed - the teachers becoming students, those who have in debt to those who have not, and to realize that this is in fact how reality is but we fail to acknowledge it much of the time. There is no them and us and in fact not even us. Giver and receiver disappear and there is no space for comparison, no space for self consciousness. Dana becomes a circle - no beginning, no end.

Very nice, Zenmonk.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    Did I miss something, what's rotating around here?

I hate to break it to you, but, well, the earth isn't really flat!

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Atmos reminds me of Atman. Sorry, it just came to my mind and I had to say it. I really should grow up now. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Naaah, there's always time for that later!

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Naaah, there's always time for that later!

Palzang

True :)
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but, well, the earth isn't really flat!

Palzang

Oh shit, something else to worry about! So, can I fall off?
    What would I be falling from? Hmmm.....
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    And you took that very well. I hope that isn't because you think I have some great insight here. I was a complete idiot as a teenager, way 'behind' you if I was to compare,

I agree - ZM was an idiot.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    See how well he understands. And then he has the arrogance to claim that he doesn't understand enlightenment. :bowdown:
    edited December 2006
    Ha ha...

Actually, it was just an opportunity to be a smart ass again, young man.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Responding spontaneously and appropriately in the moment. Hmmm, what does that remind me of...? :scratch:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Oooooh! OOOOH!! Is this a quiz?!? I think I know this one -!!
    edited December 2006
    Responding spontaneously and appropriately in the moment. Hmmm, what does that remind me of...? :scratch:

An accident?

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    :lol:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    An accident?

-bf

Either that or that one Wilson-Phillips song from back in the day.

_/\_
  • edited December 2006
    federica wrote:
    Oooooh! OOOOH!! Is this a quiz?!? I think I know this one -!!

Pick me! Pick me! I know this answer!!!!
  • edited December 2006
    LOL!
  • edited December 2006
    If you have trouble sleeping maybe you could Feng Shui your room. I've been looking into the theory and I'm going to do it next year. My room is very cluttered with bright red walls (I thought it was so cool ten years ago) and it all feels very close and oppressive.
  • edited December 2006
    Maybe that explains wht we can't save any money. The front and back door face each other and are used frquently. Expsosure is South and North recspectively.

Hmmmm........
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    This Chi is currently known as 'Sha-Chi' or cutting Chi...it has no brake, no interruption, and swooshes through like a torrent.....
    Hang a crystal (multi-faceted and sparkling) or a wind chime, between the doors at some point, from the ceiling, to slow the progress of Chi....You could even place a small table by a wall, and put a plant and attractive ornament on it. Something heavy and dominant.... or hang a beaded curtain in the corridor..... predominantly yellow.....

Which door is North, and which is South?
  • edited January 2007
    federica wrote:

Which door is North, and which is South?

North-Sunroom, Driveway, creek boarders property. South small porch, squared cement sidewalk to driveway, house in in cul de sac, BTW.