Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wheel of life explained

edited January 2007 in Philosophy
I found a useful link I want to share here with you here.

Eventually, we can use the thread for discussing the visualiztion of the Dhamma and you can even post photos of your own wheel of life illustration if you have one, we can then look at the details of it and discuss them :)

PS: I typed live instead of life, cannot change the heading afterwards, a mod might correct this if possible.

PPS: Thanks ;)

Comments

• edited December 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    I found a useful link I want to share here with you here.

Eventually, we can use the thread for discussing the visualiztion of the Dhamma and you can even post photos of your own wheel of life illustration if you have one, we can then look at the details of it and discuss them :)

PS: I typed live instead of life, cannot change the heading afterwards, a mod might correct this if possible.

PPS: Thanks ;)

Ah, in my practice of Wheel of Life visualization, I realized that this practice really mesmerizes the mind so much that one own mind might detaches from concrete thinking. This is sort of like one enters the state of "mind expansiveness" which, I think is preferred over mind that thinks about material or people possession, social status and so forth.

Thank for the link,

SG
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Thanks for the link, fo. I can never remember the 12 nidanas for the life of me, so I always have to look them up whenever someone asks. BTW, Khandro.net is a valuable resource for all things Buddhist, particularly Tibetan Buddhist, but not just. And Khandro, in case you're wondering, is the Tibetan word for dakini, or female enlightened being.

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    what do the 5 skulls on the beast that holds the wheel represent? The skandhas?

example

While the skulls represent death, and the beast is often considered to be Yama, the Lord of death, I just wonder why on many illustrations there are exactly 5 skulls in Yama`s head. Further, does anyone know how Yama came into play? Intuitivly, i would have said the beast that holds the wheel is Mara.

Regards
  • edited January 2007
    Great mandala, Fofoo!

I have a similar mandala but instead it depicts the twelve animals seen in the Chinese calendar. Basically, if one looks at it long enough, one would understand rebirth and karma better in term of universal 'law'. That is one get transmigrated incessantly if one does not realize Buddha-mind which precedes all (monkey mind, goat mind, chicken mind...well you get the idea). Keep the good stuff rolling:P

Thanks,

SG