Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Problem With Presentation

edited December 2006 in Buddhism Today
I was watching some interesting videos on Youtube about people making fun of Buddhism. It was rather entertaining and it prompted me to write this post. I think the reason Buddhism fails to capture the hearts of more people is in its portrayal.

For instance, the one video summed up the 4 Noble Truths.

'Dont worry, we have suffering all figured out for you. The 4 Noble Truths!

1. Life contains suffering.

2. All suffering is caused by desire.

3. You won't suffer anymore if you abandon desire.

4. To get rid of desire, follow the 8-Fold Path.'

Do you think this is a very accurate summary of the path the Buddha taught? This is a definition of Buddhism I find all too often on the internet.

And expanding upon this, did the Buddha really teach that all desire was bad? I have read that the Buddha spoke of two kinds of desires. The first, tanha, is craving and is the never-ending thirst for things. If we follow this, we will never be fully happy or content with our lives because we are always craving.

Another desire less frequently mentioned is chandra (sp?). This type of desire is necessary for us. It is the desire for our own well being, security, and the well-being of others. Our problems can arise when we cannot see the distinction between the two.

And another question...Is it really accurate to say that all desire is at the heart of our suffering. In "Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" by Thich Naht Hanh, he says that it is a 'grave mistake to say that craving is at the root of all suffering.'

This seems quite obvious, but often overlooked. Other things cause suffering as well. Anger, hatred, greed, delusion, random events, sickness, death. All of these cause suffering.

And finally, do you associate pain with suffering? Lama Surya Das seems to make a distinction between them, but they are at least closely related. (Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional?)

I know this was a bit of a ramble, but I didn't feel like making a bunch of separate posts mainly about the same thing.

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Other things cause suffering as well. Anger, hatred, greed, delusion, random events, sickness, death. All of these cause suffering.
    When you examine these things more closely you will see that they are the results of grasping, craving and attachment.

It's not just the craving for things that makes us suffer, KOB. It is the very nature of our attachment to everything, especially our thoughts, opinions, beliefs and ideas, that causes us to suffer. I love to contemplate the Four Noble Truths because they seem so simple upon reading them and yet, when I contemplate them and their truth in my daily life, there's SO much there. It's been like unraveling a never ending ball of yarn that changes colour constantly. SO interesting.

So keep contemplating these things, KOB. You'll get much more out if them, though, if you approach them with an open, positive mind instead of trying to prove that the Buddha was wrong. If you apply them to your daily life and sincerely look for their truth and relevance, I think you'll understand them more clearly and more profoundly.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Usually I do not quite introduce Buddhism to others the way a Christian evangelist would. I would have to admit though, the Four Noble Truths sound like the invention of some sadist if taken under the wrong context.

I remember during my early days in Buddhism when I tried to introduce the Four Noble Truths to two Muslim friends in a quite-open interfaith conversation.

"The first Truth states that, life is full of suffering." I said innocently, only to be returned by quite the skeptical chuckle and denial of it.

"Suffering? Ha! So what are we now? Crying?" and the likes of it were the replies - obviously as told to me by happy people who had no problem with their own life.

Unfortunately, I find that often Buddhists start introducing Buddhism to the curious seeker via just it - The Four Noble Truths, the basic foundation blocks of our way of life. It seems that such "common sense" Truths to us, very ironically, make sense to the average seeker only when indeed, he or she is in a state of suffering, depression, agony and living in the metaphorical Hell. The seeker seems to be the one responsible to find Buddhism, and not vice versa.

At other times, with others who are fairly satisfied with their own lives and do not generally bother to think much about anything, Buddhist teachings seem to be virtually meaningless for them - and the fact that it is a major religion of the modern world, just make them think that it is another huge cult with little to offer - like the way quite a lot of atheists may view organized religion. For this, Buddhism gets dragged along as the butt of jokes. :(
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You make a valuable point, Ajani. Nobody will be interested in hearing the Four Noble Truths unless they are experiencing dissatisfaction. The story tells us that Gotama himself only started his search as a result of discovering that the world was afflicted by sickness, old age and death. Those who are settled into their own comfort and in denial about the true human condition will, inevitably, refuse to listen.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, you have to be ready to hear the dharma.
  • edited December 2006
    if ppl ask about buddhism.. i don't speak about the 4 noble truths.. they are too vague and i don't pay much attention to those sort of rules.. because its just like the 10 commandments.. they are pretty obvious, on their own they aren't needed, its the stuff behind them..

so i don't really remember any of these things.

I just say its.. about realising stuff, you get to read about peoples thoughts and realisations over thousands of years.. so surely they have something to offer everyone.

yea i wouldn't preach it to someone not interested.. and i dont see much point to those who are.. really.. just tell them the basics.. because its too complex to take in.. and i am a very bad teacher.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You have to remember, KoB, what the root of desire is. The root of desire is the delusional belief in self and other. As long as you believe that you exist independently of and separate from the rest of the world/universe, then you will always be lacking something. This is the birth of desire. You desire what you think you are lacking. This in turn gives rise to the emotions. You get angry and hate when you think someone else is depriving you of what you think you need (it could be a thing, food, kindness, recognition, whatever). You love someone when you think they're giving you what you need. You experience sadness when you feel deprived of what you think you need. It all revolves around this basic feeling of separateness, which the Buddha taught is a delusion. By eliminating desire, i.e., by realizing that you are not separate from the universe, you ipso facto* eliminate desire and thus suffering.

Palzang

* Sorry, I had to throw in something for Simon to get his teeth into.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Once again, you put it so well, Palzang. I read your post and then sat here for five minutes with all the thoughts it brought up. Thanks for being so eloquent.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks Palzang. Quite insightful!!!

I find that looking at the 4 Noble Truths when I feel elated and in a very good mood can be quite perplexing. What's this? Suffering? My life is great!

But then something big and heavy hits me and it can be a bit overwhelming at first. This is when reflection upon the 4 Noble Truths really helps get through those times. For instance, I was in a terrific mood several weeks ago and found that my mother had to get surgery or else cancer could grow in some cells. The 'high' was gone and I felt a bit helpless. I took some quiet time by myself and just observed the basic teachings of the Buddha in my mind. The pain eased and I felt much calmer realizing that I was not alone in suffering this world.

Oh yeah, and thankfully no cancer was found and my mom is returning to health.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Good news, KoB!

That's a perfectly normal reaction you have had. When you're not suffering, you don't like to think about it. When you are suffering, you can't help but think about it! That's why it's important to contemplate the "Four Thoughts Which Turn the Mind Toward Dharma" daily.

First is the preciousness of a human birth. When you look at all the beings that are alive in this world alone (not to mention those we can't see), you realize that to be born a human being is a rare thing indeed! In the contemplation we use, it is likened to a sea turtle surfacing randomly in the ocean and coming up in a life preserver floating in the vastness of the ocean. And to be born a human at a time when the Buddha's teachings are flourishing in the world, with all your faculties complete, and the leisure to practice (it may not seem like we have much leisure, but we have enough to practice), is indeed rare even in human terms. It also goes on to say that to have a precious human birth and to not practice Dharma when we have the opportunity is like traveling to a continent full of precious jewels and coming home empty-handed.

Second is impermanence. All things are impermanent, including our lives. When we look at the big picture of things, our lives pass as rapidly as water over a waterfall. It's over in a flash. Whatever we accumulate in this life, whether it's possessions or money or power or fame or whatever, will be useless to us when we die. We can't take it with us. But practicing the Dharma gives you something that will last from lifetime to lifetime (whether you believe in rebirth or not!).

Third is the law of karma. The Buddha taught that everything we do has a result. We can't escape that no matter what we do. It's simply a law of nature. So we need to accumulate causes that result in happiness rather than those that increase and prolong our suffering.

Fourth is the contemplation on the benefits of virtue and the faults of non-virtue. By practicing virtue, we arrive at the time of death like a traveler who is fully prepared for his journey. By practicing non-virtue, however, we experience suffering. All suffering is due to non-virtuous karma. At the time of death one will take rebirth in the lower realms.

These are the traditional Thoughts Which Turn the Mind. Contemplating them even for a few moments daily can help keep you stable on the Path and not allow you to forget when things seem to be going smoothly.

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I think you have to realize that people that DON'T want to believe in something will find many ways to scoff at it.

Some dude turned water into wine? Healed the blind? Died and then floated up to heaven in a cloud? Or say that you accept someone as your savior and then all your "sins" will be forgiven? And then something about, "Abba Father". You mean like digging Dancing Queen or SOS?

I mean - I could sit here and make fun of Christianity. I could sit here and make fun of just about any religion or thought process if I wanted to.

Like Brigid said - it simply means that I'm not in the mindset to hear it or think about it. You have to engage in learning new things with some level of seriousness.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    I was watching some interesting videos on Youtube about people making fun of Buddhism. It was rather entertaining and it prompted me to write this post. I think the reason Buddhism fails to capture the hearts of more people is in its portrayal.

Do you think this is a very accurate summary of the path the Buddha taught? This is a definition of Buddhism I find all too often on the internet.

And expanding upon this, did the Buddha really teach that all desire was bad? I have read that the Buddha spoke of two kinds of desires. The first, tanha, is craving and is the never-ending thirst for things. If we follow this, we will never be fully happy or content with our lives because we are always craving.

Another desire less frequently mentioned is chandra (sp?). This type of desire is necessary for us. It is the desire for our own well being, security, and the well-being of others. Our problems can arise when we cannot see the distinction between the two.

And another question...Is it really accurate to say that all desire is at the heart of our suffering. In "Heart of the Buddha's Teaching" by Thich Naht Hanh, he says that it is a 'grave mistake to say that craving is at the root of all suffering.'

This seems quite obvious, but often overlooked. Other things cause suffering as well. Anger, hatred, greed, delusion, random events, sickness, death. All of these cause suffering.

And finally, do you associate pain with suffering? Lama Surya Das seems to make a distinction between them, but they are at least closely related. (Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional?)

I know this was a bit of a ramble, but I didn't feel like making a bunch of separate posts mainly about the same thing.

The essential question would be if greed, hatred and delusion are rooted in desire. Or in other words, if all the reasons you mentioned can be traced back to a single thing. Why should death be suffering other than because you want life more than death ?

Let`s not forget that the Buddha summarized suffering as "the 5 aggregates subject to clinging" in the 1st noble truth. Then again, dukkha is not literally suffering, but can be translated as stress, dissatisfaction or even uncompletenes. You see, a little twist on the words and the tenets seem to change. Thats`s why practice is an important element, to get a "feeling" for Dhamma.

Regards
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You don't think a mother who loses a child suffers? You don't think someone dying of cancer suffers? You don't think someone who goes through a messy divorce suffers? You don't think someone who comes to the end of their life and realizes they've accomplished nothing in their life suffers? I think you'd better leave the academic definitions alone and focus on what the Buddha actually taught. Suffering is suffering.

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    Take a deep breath, Pally.

In with the good air
    Out with the bad.
    In with the good air
    Out with the bad.

A valid point though. I think people who are having a great time, think, "What me? I'm suffering? Pish posh!"

They don't think of the times they lie awake at night missing, wanting, hating, wishing, etc. They don't think of their life, love lost, enemies made, action which brought about suffering.

The Buddha didn't say, "You will suffer every single instant of your life."

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    You don't think a mother who loses a child suffers? You don't think someone dying of cancer suffers? You don't think someone who goes through a messy divorce suffers? You don't think someone who comes to the end of their life and realizes they've accomplished nothing in their life suffers?

Palzang

No, I do not dispute they suffer. I saw Dukkha often translated as stress depending on the context. Sorry, I did not want to make anyone upset.
  • edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

A valid point though. I think people who are having a great time, think, "What me? I'm suffering? Pish posh!"

They don't think of the times they lie awake at night missing, wanting, hating, wishing, etc. They don't think of their life, love lost, enemies made, action which brought about suffering.

The Buddha didn't say, "You will suffer every single instant of your life."

-bf

True. The German rendering, for anyone interested, is leidvoll, literally full of suffering, not just suffering. it translates officially to sorrowful, mournful.Now, I do not want to go on this further, although the rendering of dukkha is a problem of presentation. I think we all agree that there clearly is suffering.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    You didn't make me upset, Fofoo, but I didn't want to let it pass either. It's a very common mistake to discount suffering in this way. It's something that my teacher harps on constantly. All you have to do to understand the First Noble Truth is watch CNN for about 5 minutes on any given day. Then you understand that suffering is all-pervasive in samsara. Just because you may not be suffering at the moment doesn't mean that countless sentient beings aren't suffering horribly. As I stated earlier, it's really important to maintaining one's practice to constantly remind oneself of the faults of cyclic existence (i.e. life as it is).

So I'll take a few deep breaths and go have a lie-down now. Thank you.

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Well my take on all this is that Abba are pretty damn good.
    edited December 2006
    fofoo wrote:
    True. The German rendering, for anyone interested, is leidvoll, literally full of suffering, not just suffering. it translates officially to sorrowful, mournful.Now, I do not want to go on this further, although the rendering of dukkha is a problem of presentation. I think we all agree that there clearly is suffering.

Fofoo...

That's interesting that the German rendering is "leidvoll" = "full of suffering".

Just goes to show you how difficult things can be going from one language to the other.

I just read a short writing about how the translation of a certain story about some dude parting the Red Sea in the Bible might have been mis-interpreted. It seems now that scholars believe that the Exodus crossed the Rush Sea - which was just a sea of rushes or a large swamp. I wonder if it would be easier for a group of people to cross a marsh than for an army?

Anyway, thanks for that, fofoo...

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Helpful thread!
    edited December 2006
    Well my take on all this is that Abba are pretty damn good.

You're just as weird as I am, aintcha?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Nobody is that weird, bf.

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    Hmmm...

Good point.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Nobody is that weird, bf.

Palzang

Well...
  • edited December 2006

Are you believing everything you read???
  • edited December 2006
    Where do I find the 8 fold path you speak of?
    Laura
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    slowdown wrote:
    Where do I find the 8 fold path you speak of?
    Laura

It lies before you, Laura. It is your choice to walk it or not.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Hi, Laura. Welcome to the site. It's nice to meet you.

The Noble Eightfold Path is contained in the Fourth Noble Truth and is the path that leads to the end of suffering. Just Google the Four Noble Truths and The Noble Eightfold Path and you'll find lots of information about it because it is the foundation of everything the Buddha taught.

Also, check out the links Palzang listed in the other thread and you'll find the Truths and the Path there.

Hope this helps.

Brigid
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Especially this link, Laura: Buddhism. It has really nice summaries of the main Buddhist tenets.

Palzang