Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"BUDDHA" FINDS BIG SCREEN INSPIRATION IN CANNES

not1not2not1not2 Veteran
edited February 2007 in Arts & Writings
"BUDDHA" FINDS BIG SCREEN INSPIRATION IN CANNES
Famed Book "Old Path White Clouds" Optioned For Buddha Bio-Pic
Producers Michel Shane and Anthony Romano Executive Producing Film

Cannes, France – May 22, 2006 — Indian telecommunications mogul and billionaire Dr. Bhupendra Kumar Modi is moving forward on his highly anticipated $120 million epic feature "Buddha," having optioned the rights to the world’s authoritative book on Buddhism "Old Path White Clouds" from Buddhist Vietnamese monk, Thich Nhat Hanh. Both Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr. Modi are in Cannes to sign the deal. Additionally, renowned Hollywood producers Michel Shane and Anthony Romano ("I Robot," "Catch Me If You Can") have come on board to executive produce the film through their production company, Hand Picked Films.

Produced under Buddha Films, a subsidiary of Modi’s Mcorp Global empire, "Buddha" is a large-scale commercial bio-pic for mainstream audiences worldwide and will be shot in the U.S., Japan, China and Thailand as well as India, where it will make history as the most expensive film ever to be shot in the country. Casting for the film, which will be English-language, will begin immediately, with producers currently considering a short list of A-List stars for the lead roles. Principal photography is slated to begin in November for the film to be ready for worldwide release in 2008.

Commented Modi, "We intend for ‘Buddha’ to be a major event film across the globe. Acquiring the rights to ‘Old Path White Clouds’ is the first step in making this happen in a fashion that remains true to the extraordinary life story of Buddha. With Michel Shane and Anthony Romano involved, we’re confident this will be every bit the exciting epic Hollywood film we envisioned from the start."

The Dalai Lama has given his blessing and guidance on the film, which is aimed at audiences of all ages, cultures, and religions and will focus on Buddha's teachings and his astonishing journey to attaining enlightenment. The Dalai Lama's office has taken on an advisory role with the development of the film’s script.

The Dalai Lama commented, "I have known Dr. Bhupendra Kumar Modi for some years and consider him as a good friend. He has been actively making this effort to bring about closer relations between the Buddhists and the Hindus, work which I appreciate very much and which I also consider important."

Universally acknowledged as the world’s authoritative book on Buddhism, Nhich Nath Hanh’s "Old Path White Clouds" follows Buddha's life from birth to death through the eyes of a young buffalo boy, Svasti. The book reveals the intricacies of Buddha's life and his search for a means to alleviate the suffering within each and every human being. Siddhartha (his given name) left all his responsibilities and his home so he could share his discoveries and help people overcome the debilitating effects of suffering – to achieve a level of understanding that we are all searching for in our everyday lives.

"The life of Buddha is intriguing and an amazing story that needs to be told. We are looking at this as an epic film for the ages - a ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ meets ‘Gladiator.’" Shane added, "Through cinema, we want to illustrate and tell his amazing story and show that enlightenment is available to us all. The story takes place many thousands of years ago but is still relevant today, as we struggle with our inner demons and try to make our way in an ever shrinking world. This will be a Hollywood movie with a soul."
"Old Path White Clouds" is a best seller throughout Asia with over 2 millions copies sold to date. The book has been printed in numerous countries across the globe including the US, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, Australia, Korea, Mainland China , Taiwan, Vietnam and India. In the People’s Republic of China, this book has been published and re-printed more than 20 times to date. "Old Path White Clouds" appeared first in Hong Kong and reprinted in Taiwan. In 1997, more than 200,000 copies were printed in Korea and in 1995, the Hindi and English versions were published in India.

The book’s venerated author, Thich Nhat Hanh, joined the monkshood at the age of sixteen and formed the "Engaged Buddhism" movement during the Vietnam War. The purpose was to provide monks with a way to practice meditation and contemplative thinking, while helping the locals around them suffering from the violence of the war. He was banned from going back to Vietnam because of his affiliations with the United States, yet, that did not stop him from pursuing peace and nonviolence. After persuading Martin Luther King, Jr. to publicly oppose the Vietnam War, he led a Buddhist Delagation to the Paris Peace Talks. Currently, Thay (as his students call him) lives, writes, gardens and teaches in the monastery he founded in the south of France – Plum Village.

Many of Hanh’s 87 books have been best sellers for many years. These include "Peace is Every Step" – "Living Buddha, Living Christ," "Anger" and "No Death No Fear." A world renowned Zen teacher, Hanh has led Mindfulness Practice Workshops in Hollywood for some of the industries most famous actors, film producers and screenwriters. He has also been called upon by major leaders of the world including Bill Clinton and Mikhail Gorbachev and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967 by Martin Luther King, Jr.

About MCorp Global:
Dr. Bhupendra Kumar Modi is the Chairman of the USD 2.4 billion dollar company, MCorp Global currently has interests in information, telecommunications, and entertainment. He is also the President of the Mahabodhi Society of India. His Beverly Hills based subsidiary, Buddha Films, marks its first venture into the Hollywood film business with "Buddha." The company has also ventured into film exhibition in India and owns the 8 screen Spice World, the largest multiplex in North India. This multiplex also contains the first 4D cinema theatre which was launched in April 2006.

About Hand Picked Films
Hand Picked Films principles Michel Shane and Anthony Romano have established themselves as two of the motion picture industry’s premier independent producers. They just completed the financing for "The Other Side," an original screenplay by David Michaels who will make his directing debut. At the same time they are preparing a production on a property entitled "Flower in Brazil" to be directed by Jeff Kramer from a script he wrote.

In the fall of 06 as part of their empowerment program in Louisiana, they will be starting the bio pic about Louis Armstrong, "Saint Louis Blues." Romano and Shane are also reviving the former passion project of Federico Fellini entitled "Journey To Tulum."

Hand Picked produced "I, Robot" starring Will Smith, which smashed box office records when the film grossed over $50 million in its opening weekend. Additional producing credits include Steven Spielberg’s award winning "Catch Me If You Can," Paramount’s Classic’s "North Fork," "Stealing Time" and "Trigger Fish."

http://www.deerparkmonastery.org/news/articlefrompress/cannes_old_path_white_cloud.html

Comments

• not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I can't wait until this comes out. 2008 seems so far away right now. Anyway, I'm really excited about this movie & it seems with this budget the fact they are looking for 'A-List' actoros, it might be a major release.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited December 2006
    This is great news not1not2, thanks for posting it. I am looking forward to this as well, I just hope they cast the "right" people for the job.
    edited December 2006
    Yeah.

I just noticed that I said 'actoros' in my last post.

:D

_/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Cool! Molto cool!

Palzang
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I read this book, it's a great biography of his life from the pointof view of a young boy who becomes a disciple. I really recommend it to anyone, but especically newbies. It reads like a novel.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Casting ideas, anyone?
    edited December 2006
    I think Christopher Walken should play the Buddha. Either him or Samual L. Jackson ('my alms bowl is the one that says 'badas$$mutha$%*&@* on it"

_/\_
    edited December 2006
    Sorry for the outburst.... sort of

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    OMG!!! L....M.....A.....O!!!

I LOVE the idea of Christopher Walken!!! That's so hilarious!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I think Marlon Brando should play the role of the Buddha. He's a fantastic actor, and he's also quite dead, so he should be able to get the meditative absorption bit down pat!

Actually I thought Keanu did a great job in Little Buddha. Not many others agree, but he played it on many levels - the ambiguous sexuality, the sense of wonder and revulsion as he saw the horrors of samsara for the first time, the great scene as an ascetic where he looks like a living skeleton (and actually was, having literally starved himself to get that thin).

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I agree, Palzang. I think he did a very good job of an extraordinarily difficult role.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2007
    This all seems very nice, but...

For me, motion picture portrayals of the historical Jesus have always been colossal failures.

They seem to "work" only when the director works very hard at ABSTRACTING them from their historical context. In Jesus Christ Superstar the movie begins with all these New Testament people getting off a schoolbus. Godspell entirely takes place in the modern urban setting of New York. That movie is really neat.

I look forward to the movie, but perhaps Old Path White Clouds would be 9,000,000,000% better than the film rendition???

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Comparing the lives of Jesus and Buddha is kinda like comparing apples and oranges, with all due respect. I wish I hadn't weighed in on this filming of Buddha's life as I did.

The story of the Noble Buddha's life would be hard to make look trite. There is so much to present just in his birth, his growing up, his life of royal creature comforts, etc., not to mention the later activities of his life. A motion picture production would probably entail at least five actors of various ages, playing Buddha.

I say this with all due respect for Jesus and as someone who feels real devotion for Christ: Compared to Buddha, Jesus was a little bit neurotic and insecure. I say this with respect and because maybe that's why motion picture productions about his life seem a bit "off."

My intent here is not to offend anyone, but to put some distance between myself and what I said in the previous post.

Buddha is so awesome, that any faithful presentation or representation of him would have to be sublime.
    edited February 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    Comparing the lives of Jesus and Buddha is kinda like comparing apples and oranges, with all due respect. I wish I hadn't weighed in on this filming of Buddha's life as I did.

The story of the Noble Buddha's life would be hard to make look trite. There is so much to present just in his birth, his growing up, his life of royal creature comforts, etc., not to mention the later activities of his life. A motion picture production would probably entail at least five actors of various ages, playing Buddha.

I say this with all due respect for Jesus and as someone who feels real devotion for Christ: Compared to Buddha, Jesus was a little bit neurotic and insecure. I say this with respect and because maybe that's why motion picture productions about his life seem a bit "off."

My intent here is not to offend anyone, but to put some distance between myself and what I said in the previous post.

Buddha is so awesome, that any faithful presentation or representation of him would have to be sublime.

Perhaps that's why I am so drawn to and fond of the picture of Jesus. I can relate to "neurotic and insecure".

Where I think comparing the lives and messages of these two can be fruitful is not simply in the similarities but also in the contrasts. If we see them as contrasting colours on a palette rather than as simply black and white, no colours at all, they enrich each other.

edited February 2007
    I think it's worth considering that, when the Pythons were making Life of Brian, they took great care about their representation of Jesus. He only appears once, sharing the Beatitudes, presented straight. It is only when we get to the outskirts of the crowd ("Blessed are the cheesemakers?") that the laughter starts again.

For me, Life of Brian is the very best film that could possibly be made of the story that time has woven around the Jesus events, including taking him seriously.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I had never really thought of Life Of Brian that way but now that you mention it I quite agree, Simon. They were a smart bunch of guys, weren't they? Such amazing writers. And being able to act on top of it is really quite extraordinary.

And blessed ARE the cheesemakers!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2007
    CROWD

LOOK! he has lost his sandal-Let us all take off our sandals and hold them high-it is a sign!!!

BRIAN Give me back my sandal!

CROWD:

LOOK! over there, the bush has brought forth Juniper Berries!..

BRIAN "Of course it has, its a Juniper bush!

love that movie.