Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

He joined the Marines...oh my god

SabineSabine Veteran
edited December 2006 in General Banter
This guy that I've liked for a year or so recently told me (in the middle of a study session :P) that he enlisted last month, and he's going to Iraq in March 2008. Granted, that gives me a year and a few months to still hang out with him, but we're both graduating from high school this year, and I really, REALLY like him.

And he doesn't know.

I'm just so torn. Should I even bother telling him that I like him? I'm scared he's going to go off to war and get hurt (god forbid, the other thing), and I'll feel like a crappy excuse for a person. But I'm scared that if I do get up enough nerve to tell him, he'll be totally freaked out because he only thinks of me as a friend. The best thing that could happen is he feels the same way, but that's very unlikely - I'm nothing like any other girl he's ever dated, I'm younger than him, and he just thinks of me as a (somewhat annoying) little sister.

Should I take the risk? I would absolutely hate it if he never talked to me again because I declared my love for him in front of everybody :P

Comments

• edited December 2006
    If he joined the Marines now - he's an idiot. You're better off without him.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    That's a tough one, Sabine. Do you have to tell him in front of other people? Or declare your love, for that matter? What if you just let him know that you wouldn't say no if he asked you out and leave the ball in his court? If he asks you out, great. If not, you could go on with the friendship you have now.

But it's important to keep the fact that he joined the Marines firmly in the forefront of your mind. He could die, Sabine, and you have to be prepared for that if it happens. He could also come back physically wounded and the odds are quite high that he will come back emotionally wounded.

Since you're not a kid anymore you also need to look ahead at the "what if's". Like, what if you both fell deeply in love and wanted to get married? Are you prepared for the kind of life a military wife must lead? Or, what if you got pregnant with his child before he left for Iraq and wanted to raise the baby yourself? Are you prepared for what kind of father, if he survives, he would be? I realize this seems like jumping the gun, but before you get involved you need to ask yourself these questions because romantic relationships have a tendency to get sticky.

Whatever you decide, I hope everything works out just the way you need it to.

Much love,
    Boo
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Good luck, Sabine, advice from me for your case is pretty difficult to expect - but I'd just like to wish you luck. :)

The thing is that, for my country, while compulsory enlistment comes for all males sooner or later, and it is in the army where the entire country agrees that boys turn into men, we are not sent to fight wars in distant lands for ours is a defence force.

But for the females, while the things they worry about might be different in both our lands, emotionally the things they feel are the same.

The fighting man in my country, upon enlistment, spends two years in boot camp if he graduates after the first three months of the two years of military school as a soldier, although allowed weekends off and the occassional day-off and phone calls. The minority who become army clerks in my country are exceptions from the case, since they are no different from serving what is called "non-combatant conscription". However, though it is not total isolation the guy lives in apart from his girl who waits for him, it is almost an always-true local belief that upon going to the army, all the girlfriends of the guys will leave them.

Thus the emotional baggage of the female is pretty large when the guy goes for military service, as most of her emotional needs fail to be adequately satisfied - like the long hours of chatting the girl seems to like, undivided attention that the guy cannot give because of exhaustion, or even missing the Valentine's Day or birthday when the guy cannot get a day off his military role. In my country, most girls facing this situation usually dump the guy and run off with another who has completed his military stint and can now resume his normal social life.

Therefore, Sabine my friend, if you make a choice, you must be prepared for the consequences that follow, and you must decide where and who indeed does your commitment belong to - and in turn discovering your innate self which you can then start to love. Once you have that in mind, your decision will be the correct one, whichever may follow, for all difficulties as you understand will just seem so impermanent, and you will not disappoint yourself, nor the proud Marine-to-be.

Good luck, Sabine. :)

"Your resolution must not falter." - Old Major, Animal Farm
  • edited December 2006
    Sabine...tell him how you feel. Not with the idea or hope of trying to change his mind...but to let go of it yourself. Also, to be 'out in the world'...there is some comfort for a soldier to know that in a green, lovely and safe spot in the world is someone who knows about him and cares.

Don't die with any regrets.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Well, I may have a slightly different perspective on all this, being a veteran myself (Air Force). It was because of being stationed in Japan that I had my first contact with Buddhism as an actual practice and not some dry piece of philosophy. Karma is karma. The winds of karma will blow you in whatever way, and you never know where you'll wind up and what the results will be. Sometimes what seems like the very worst situation turns into pure gold.

I would suggest, Sabine, that you practice compassion and patience with your boyfriend. Explain to him how you feel about it without blaming, anger, pointing fingers or anything like that. Do it from an attitude of loving kindness. Tell him your concerns, both with his safety and the war in general. You may not change his mind (probably too late to do that anyway if he's signed the dotted line). You aren't responsible for changing him or anybody, as you can't do it anyway. If he does go to Iraq, do everything you can do to support him (him, not the war). Practice for him and the people of Iraq. Our temple also has a prayer without ceasing website where you can put his name in for prayers to be done for him. It's not like you're completely powerless here.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of guys who go into the Marines all gung-ho and full of themselves wash out of basic because they find the reality doesn't quite meet the fantasy. It looks a lot different when you have a DI calling you a "maggot" right in your face after you just did a 10 mile forced march with full pack! So pray for that!

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Well, I may have a slightly different perspective on all this, being a veteran myself (Air Force). Palzang

Being in the Gulf of Oman on a US nuclear armed aircraft carrier During The Lebannesse Hostage Crisis

Steve
  • edited December 2006
    when u with or have a crush on someone thats about to jump ship to militry service or zoom away to some university in a galaxy far far away.. its best to just forget it. Long distance relations suck, and theres plenty more kittens in the pet store.

I too have many reservations against the army.. ppl fantacise about it.. when they clearly don't even have a basic idea of what its about... not to mention many think that using an explosive substance to fire shard's of metal at ppl is glamorous..

i think the majority of ppl who join up have wet dreams about firing a gun.. :P

Those who don't fight, can't be conquered.. lol
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Oh ya, Sabine, keep writing letters to him. :) That will really help ease his emotional baggage alot.

Have you enquired behind his purpose to go to war?
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2006
    The guy's an idiot trying to prove something.

Well, obviously, I'm a little biased, but I don't think so. Not to sound to mean, but I'd rather you not refer to him as an idiot, please. I've known him for 6 years, and he's an absolutely brilliant writer/orator. Some of America's soldiers have come back from military service and become known for more positive things (Ernest Hemingway, anyone? F. Scott Fitzgerald?). Don't assume that he's just a stupid wannabe jarhead.

Everyone:
    Thanks for your support...I've been thinking about what Brigid (and a few other people) said about all the serious things that could happen in the future (marriage, serious injury, etc.). Of course, I'm 16 - I'm not going to totally devote my life to him just yet, but if he ever needs someone to talk to, I'll be available to him.
    He's already expressed concerns about feeling lonely on the field and whatnot, so maybe I'll lend him some of my more serious Buddhist books...he's not really overly religious, but anything that could help him prepare can't hurt.

I've also been thinking of this as a very modern way of "waking up" - I'm a young American girl, going to college, bright-eyed-bushy-tailed, but we all need something to shock us into reality eventually. I guess this is my wake up call?
    Who knows.

Anyway, thank you for taking me seriously, everyone.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Oh ya, Sabine, keep writing letters to him. :) That will really help ease his emotional baggage alot.

Have you enquired behind his purpose to go to war?
    Definitely ^_^ We both love writing anyway.

He's kinda keeping silent about his reasoning behind enlisting, so I don't want to push him just yet. He's been thinking about it for a year or two though, so it's not just a random thing. Considering he's one of the best students in our class, methinks it's going to be a definite career for him, not just a "for-the-heck-of-it" thing.
  • edited December 2006
    Sabine -

A few years back a friend of mine joined the military. He was a real good friend, I actually think of him like a little brother. I warned him about all the different things that could or could not happen, and he agreed. But he felt that this was what he needed to do so he did. Luckily he has just wrapped up and is finishing his service in NY but he spent a couple tours in Iraq. He was lucky like I said and made it back, but a couple guys from his group that left for Iraq didn't. It has hurt him quite a bit to have lost them but he knows that they knew they died because of a choice THEY made. THEY chose to go fight, knowing this war was going on. THEY felt that their families and friends must be protected and felt the calling to do that job. It is unfortunate that they past on, but they did what they knew they were going to do. It's not like he (your friend) doesn't know about Iraq, it's everywhere so there's no way he could not know. Regardless of what anyone else is saying the young man is brave for making the decision that he made. If he were stupid or whatever he would have gone along with the pack and became just another person in the masses. But he chose to stand up and fight for what he believed. I'm not sure what he's going in for but hopefully for his sake and yours he makes the right choices while he is there to make sure he comes home. My friend joined because he came from a very poor background and would not have been able to afford schooling and such. In a few months he will have all his college paid for by the military, as well as all the money he saved and any that the government owes him for his VALIANT service.

**In keeping with the thread I deleted part of my post here as it did not have anything relevant to say to Sabine**
  • edited December 2006
    SABINE- My best advice than is to tell him how you feel. If like you say the worst happens, you may very well regret keeping your feelings bottled up.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited December 2006
    Why do these conversations always go into "opinion mode"? Nobody asked for anyone's opinion on war or Iraq or the Marines or US culture or soldiers. Sabine, our dear friend and a member of our Sangha, asked a question. I see some answers to her question and a BUNCH of answers to NOT her question. Please start new threads for these sorts of editorials!
  • edited December 2006
    appl.gif
    edited December 2006
    All the other stuff has been moved here. Now, please lets keep this discussion on topic :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I'll start...

Sabine,

Don't listen to anyone here. All we have are opinions. We're not involved with you. We're not involved with this other person. I don't know him and I don't know you. We have nothing at stake if you two get together, if he suffers in the war or dumps you because of how he views the relationship.

You're the only one close enough to make that call. Following bad advice from people who are so far removed from your situation could only bring you hurt and regret for following that bad advice.

Again, if he has to go - I hope he returns safe. If he gets angry for what you say to him - I hope you find peace. If something blossoms from you telling him how you feel - I hope you find peace. If he goes to war - I hope you find peace.

But you're better off not listening to a bunch of strangers when it comes to matters of the heart.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    Nice save, BF.
  • edited December 2006
    Zen Monk
    Wow! Gotta tell you man that you are way out of bounds.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited December 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'll start...

Sabine,

Don't listen to anyone here. All we have are opinions. We're not involved with you. We're not involved with this other person. I don't know him and I don't know you. We have nothing at stake if you two get together, if he suffers in the war or dumps you because of how he views the relationship.

You're the only one close enough to make that call. Following bad advice from people who are so far removed from your situation could only bring you hurt and regret for following that bad advice.

Again, if he has to go - I hope he returns safe. If he gets angry for what you say to him - I hope you find peace. If something blossoms from you telling him how you feel - I hope you find peace. If he goes to war - I hope you find peace.

But you're better off not listening to a bunch of strangers when it comes to matters of the heart.

-bf
    Yeah, true. It is time for me to start trusting my own judgment a little more...Thank you.

And I'm sorry about the argumentative stuff I said earlier in the thread, Brian - I just got a little flustered :( Forgive me?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Sabine, dear worried friend,

Joining the armed forces and, even, going to war does not automatically mean death or damage, although the chance is probably only somewhat lower than walking alone at night in some of our big cities.

We hear, today, of the death of Captain Kenneth Cummins who was in the Royal Navy in World War I and in the Merchant Marine in World War II - he was 106.

The young man will, I have no doubt, be proud of the choice that he has made and, at the same time, a bit apprehensive. Offer him your support and care. Become the person whose letters, emails, etc. he can count on. If he is worth the great gift of your love, he will appreciate what you are doing and you will make deeper contact with him.
  • edited December 2006
    Joining the armed forces and, even, going to war does not automatically mean death or damage

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sabine, I read everyones advice (though aside from the fact that we might be strangers) I must say if you really have true feelings then, there you go, you have your answer.

If he returns your feelings, then you both can find the best course of action.

Anyway, matters of the heart don't wait so stick to your original resolution and not waver.

Good luck and all the best to you.
  • edited December 2006

Joining the armed forces and, even, going to war does not automatically mean death or damage.

I too agree with this statement.

My father in-law was a Lt. Colonel in the Marines. He flew in 2 wars and flew 2 tours in Vietnam. He came home. helped finish raising his 5 children and lived a long life.
  • edited December 2006
    Which is all well and good but does not mean that we should actively collude with any decision to join an organization dedicated to violence and force as solutions - delusions that directly contribute to massive suffering in the world today. For every person that does return and lead a full life, there are others who do not return at all, there are those who return and are damaged and suffering because of their actions and their are those who'se lives they have themselves ended or damaged elsewhere. All of that has to be recognised and collusion is an evasion of that recognition and the responsibility that we all have to stop the delusion that the military is a valid career choice for the greater good or for the good of individuals. There are good reasons that there is Right Action and Right Livelihood in Buddhism. They are not there to swept under the carpet because we don't want to challenge other's delusions or offend them.
  • edited December 2006
    Interesting that you of all people talk about Right Action and Right Livelihood.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
  • edited December 2006
    I suppose you are referring to Zenmonk's quite unpopular responses in regards to this emotional subject. I see no problem with what he has said. He is guilty of honesty and nothing more. If someone has something to say, then say it. Don't try to gloss it over so you look good in the eyes of others.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited December 2006
    I suppose you are referring to Zenmonk's quite unpopular responses in regards to this emotional subject. I see no problem with what he has said. He is guilty of honesty and nothing more. If someone has something to say, then say it. Don't try to gloss it over so you look good in the eyes of others.
    There is nothing wrong with what was said, but there is certainly something wrong with the context in which it was said and the way in which it was phrased (several times over, now).

This is the lounge, not "Buddha and the Modern World". A friend asked for help dealing with a situation, not an evaluation of the military, global conflict, and international politics. I don't know what positive goal could possibly be sought by offering the latter instead.

Comments like this may be "honest", but they're also disrespectful, unkind, unhelpful, and unnecessary. This thread was already split once to make this distinction.

If you can't see the distinction, stay out of the thread.
    edited December 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    And I'm sorry about the argumentative stuff I said earlier in the thread, Brian - I just got a little flustered :( Forgive me?
    I'm sure it's quite alright, Sabine. :)

My only worthy contribution is that I've seen the marriages of two friends fail because they married their sweetheart quickly before he shipped out, so I guess my advice is caution. Great relationships can take a long time to develop.

buddhafoot had wise words as usual :)
  • edited December 2006
    matt wrote:
    This is the lounge, not "Buddha and the Modern World". A friend asked for help dealing with a situation, not an evaluation of the military, global conflict, and international politics. I don't know what positive goal could possibly be sought by offering the latter instead.

Comments like this may be "honest", but they're also disrespectful, unkind, unhelpful, and unnecessary. This thread was already split once to make this distinction.

If you can't see the distinction, stay out of the thread.

If you think there is a distinction, that practice is only something that happens on a cushion in a special room, that we are separate from others, then you have a point. That is not however what Buddhism shows us - we are not separate, our every action has an effect. Not addressing the underlying issue that this guy wants to go and kill people and sees that as okay needs forceful and direct intervention, not pussy footing around in case, heaven forbid, we actually offend a spoilt teenager with no idea what's going in in the world. Perhaps when the Buddha intervened directly to stop others making war, someone should have told him that his actions were 'unecessary' and 'unkind'. As to the idea that those who wish to glorify killing should be respected, that's just bollocks.
  • edited December 2006
    Interesting that you of all people talk about Right Action and Right Livelihood.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Perhaps you'd care to be specific on this point. First of all, let me simplify things for you though. As you have never met me you might want to consider whether what you are talking about is first hand or second hand. Secondly, there are those on this forum who know me well offline and they will be happy to give their experience of me that is based on actually knowing me. Thirdly, I don't have a house, let alone a glass house as I'm homeless and fourthly, my livelihood is teaching meditation and I am involved with an Internet business that sells meditation supplies - all of which fall under right livelihood. Last, I have no personal investment in defending myself. Those who know me, know who and what I am but I am interested in your motivation for making the comment you have and would like to address any possible misunderstanding.
  • edited December 2006
    Gassho.

ZM...could you please explain to me...where is the spoiled child? And if there is one, outside of your mind, why would you hit them? The 'use of force' is not always needed.
    If you think there is a distinction, that practice is only something that happens on a cushion in a special room, that we are separate from others, then you have a point. That is not however what Buddhism shows us - we are not separate, our every action has an effect. Not addressing the underlying issue that this guy wants to go and kill people and sees that as okay needs forceful and direct intervention, not pussy footing around in case, heaven forbid, we actually offend a spoilt teenager with no idea what's going in in the world. Perhaps when the Buddha intervened directly to stop others making war, someone should have told him that his actions were 'unecessary' and 'unkind'. As to the idea that those who wish to glorify killing should be respected, that's just bollocks.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006

The problem I have with this, is that this 'spoiled' teenager has left the forum, and is now aversed to hearing the dharma from you and, effectively, the rest of this forum. So, you have failed to prevent this guy from going to war & you have failed to communicate your point to Sabine because you started off with an insult. It's not about pussyfooting or being fluff buddhists. It's about actually affecting the desired change. That's true compassion. You have failed on this account. So, when you speak of cause & effect, I really don't know how you can claim correctness at this point. I don't doubt your good intentions, but that is and never was my point.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited December 2006
    If you're talking about Kickapoo, who by the way didn't state that he was the person concerned, then the result may not be evident right now but it will manifest at some point. The approach of being nice and on the surface kind would not have worked.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    If you're talking about Kickapoo, who by the way didn't state that he was the person concerned, then the result may not be evident right now but it will manifest at some point. The approach of being nice and on the surface kind would not have worked.

I was talking about Sabine and her friend. I don't think Kickapoo is related in any way to this, other than getting involved in the convo. BTW, I have no problem with the conversation, just with the initial statement that he is an idiot with no explanation.

metta
    _/\_
  • edited December 2006
    I didn't think that stating the bleeding obvious needed any explanation. As to this person being a spoiled teenager - if he's old enough to join the marines but honestly believes that he's defending anyone, serving any noble cause or interest, was born to do this, or is bettering himself in any way, than it's even sadder if he's older than nineteen. If a person kills three or four other people, society rightly labels that person criminally insane and they are detained in a treatment facility. If however someone wants to kill hundreds, suddenly they're beyond reproach and are hailed as heroes. Does this not strike anyone else as fundamentally insane?
    edited December 2006
    Again, we are way off topic :ot:
  • edited December 2006
    No, this is the topic and if it isn't it should be. The original question was "Should I take the risk? " That is precisely what's been explored and the answer is no.
  • Bunny_HereBunny_Here Explorer
    edited December 2006
    No, this is the topic and if it isn't it should be. The original question was "Should I take the risk? " That is precisely what's been explored and the answer is no.

I'm just trying to follow along here. Zenmonk- are you saying that Sabine shouldn't take the risk and tell this guy that she likes him because he's an idiot for wanting to join the Marines?

Now, you and I have talked in the past about me being slow, so this question shouldn't come as much of a surprise. :)
  • edited December 2006
    Bunny, bearing in mind that the question was, "Should I take the risk?", my original answer was, no, this guy's an idiot. Since then, the thread has gone 'off topic' because some didn't understand why a guy wanting to join the Marines and go to Iraq and kill people was an idiot, believing that he was 'born to do this', that he's defending the weak and all the rest of that bollocks, which I have tried to make clear, even though it is stating the bleeding obvious. I am saying that getting involved with someone who has so little insight, who is so cut off from reality that they don't hesitate to see killing others as somehow okay is a big mistake in my opinion.
    edited December 2006
    Bunny, bearing in mind that the question was, "Should I take the risk?", my original answer was, no, this guy's an idiot. Since then, the thread has gone 'off topic' because some didn't understand why a guy wanting to join the Marines and go to Iraq and kill people was an idiot, believing that he was 'born to do this', that he's defending the weak and all the rest of that bollocks, which I have tried to make clear, even though it is stating the bleeding obvious. I am saying that getting involved with someone who has so little insight, who is so cut off from reality that they don't hesitate to see killing others as somehow okay is a big mistake in my opinion.

Thanks Zenmonk- I appreciate it!
    edited December 2006
    :ot: As a relatively new person here, I must say that I feel thoroughly confused. What the heck happened on this thread?

Have we been on topic or not? Some say yes, some say no. Who decides these things- the moderators? If so, where have they been? Have they participated here on this thread? I only know of one moderator for certain, and she didn't participate on this thread.

What do we do now? Go back and forth, back and forth? Is there another option? Don't ask me- remember I'm confused!!! Can anyone help a newbie figure out what's going on around here?
  • edited December 2006
    You are being disingeneous Bunny I suspect, with a purpose. :poke: And yes there are monitors here who no doubt will put an end to this soon enough.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Dear genryu

The perspective appreciated from here. Thanks for it.
    edited December 2006
    You are being disingeneous Bunny I suspect, with a purpose. :poke: And yes there are monitors here who no doubt will put an end to this soon enough.

I can certainly see why you would think that, but I actually wrote a private message to Brian (I think he runs this site) asking him the same questions before making that post. I hadn't received a response from Brian, and so I was hoping that someone else may be able to help me out.

I've also posted on another thread (it may have been the one about the poll and the suggested guidelines) some similar questions. This was over a month ago.

My questions are sincere. I'm sorry that I gave you the wrong impression.
  • edited December 2006
    Abu, you are most welcome. This might have some resonance for you, seeing as your name (as you are probably well aware), in Arabic originally was used to refer to a holy man or saint of any religion, before it acquired it's modern usage:

For even as love crowns you, so shall he crucify you.
    Even as he is for your growth, so is he for your pruning.
    Even as he ascends to your height
    and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
    So shall he descend to your roots
    and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
    He threshes you to make you naked.
    He sifts you to free you from your husks.
    He grinds you to whiteness.
    He kneads you until you are pliant;
    And then he assigns you to his sacred fire,
    that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.
    All these things shall love do unto you
    that you may know the secrets of your heart,
    and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.

But if, in your fear,
    you would seek only love's peace
    and love's pleasure,
    Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness
    and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
    Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh,
    but not all of your laughter,
    and weep, but not all of your tears...

From The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
    edited December 2006
    No wrong impression at all Bunny.

Does that mean that you still think I'm being disingenuous? :sadc: I'm so sorry- what can I say to convince you otherwise?

:sadc:
  • edited December 2006
    There is no need to convince me of anything Bunny. It's okay, relax. The world will not shift on it's axis tonight. I took what you said as being complete in itself.
    edited December 2006
    Ok Zenmonk.
    edited December 2006
    Bunny_Here wrote:
    the moderators? If so, where have they been? Have they participated here on this thread? I only know of one moderator for certain, and she didn't participate on this thread.
    Sorry, I made an attempt at it yesterday but apparently I was ignored and I neglected to check back earlier today. Let me try again.
    If you think there is a distinction, that practice is only something that happens on a cushion in a special room, that we are separate from others, then you have a point. That is not however what Buddhism shows us - we are not separate, our every action has an effect.
    Don't ever overrule my moderation by appealing to Buddhist practices again as if it somehow trumps what I just said. I do not moderate according to Buddhist practice. I moderate as a bartender; when I say mind your own bowl of pretzels, take a hint and believe that I mean it.

The End.
    edited December 2006
    Combing through a bit more, I found this gem in response to Brian:
    No, this is the topic and if it isn't it should be.
    I don't give a damn what the topic is. If you reply like that to something Brian or a moderator says again, the barstool is going out the door with you.

There are plenty of other threads for you to voice your opinion and ideas in. It was made clear that this was not the one. If you don't like that, tough.
This discussion has been closed.