Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone here recommend Andrw Cohen?

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
Has anyoneread on Andrew Cohen?

COHEN: You know, ever since I started teaching almost twenty years ago, I have been consumed by this question: What does an uncompromised and uninhibited expression of enlightened consciousness look like in a postmodern twenty-first-century context? Or to use the terms of our discussion today, what would a second or even third tier perspective really mean—in real life, for you and for me? Not just in terms of some idealized state, but in terms of our actual level of development as fully human beings. Usually, when people experience higher states of consciousness, they effortlessly and ecstatically relate to a higher, or what I would call enlightened, perspective. But unfortunately, it rarely informs the way they relate to their experience, or the experience of others, the rest of the time. What I'm interested in, of course, is the rest of the time. Because what happens when people are just experiencing higher states doesn't necessarily mean that much, or it is significant only to the degree that one is able to sustain the enlightened perspective throughout all changing states.

That perspective, of course, reveals to us a completely different way of seeing and understanding and, ultimately, even feeling. When an individual actually does evolve, miraculously they begin to feel from a higher or more impersonal dimension of themselves. They find it more and more difficult to relate emotionally from a merely personal place. But that's a big leap for most of us.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    A streak of saddness just ran over me as I recaled putting a beattle in a cup in a campfire at the beach and just watching the cup slowly close and engulf him in flame. sigh
  • edited December 2006
    Sometimes Mr Cohen has something to say but enlightened he isn't and I certainly wouldn't recommend him personally.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I sometime's wonder if we've lost the meaning (if "we" as ignorant sentient beings) of enlightenment.

I don't think I would know enlightenment if it bit me in the ass.

-bf
  • edited December 2006
    LOL!

"When buddhas are truly buddhas they do not necessarily notice that they are buddhas. However, they are actualized buddhas, who go on actualizing buddhas..."

- Ehei Dogen Zenji - Genjokoan - The Koan of Everyday Life
  • edited December 2006
    I was interested in looking him up for awhile...as he is very close to where I live. I liked some of what he wrote in his online magazine. But then, as I started to consider the retreats, the money, the message, and especially the fact that he can't answer his own emails...as I got 'closer'...I became more estranged.

When a teacher has levels, circles around him of 'stuff' it makes it harder to have a connection. I decided that whatever 'realization' he might have had was unimportant to my path.
  • edited December 2006
    Sometimes Mr Cohen has something to say but enlightened he isn't and I certainly wouldn't recommend him personally.

When I sat and read his material I couldn't shake the feeling that the speaker spent more time conceptualizing, and labeling than actually pursuing practice himself.
  • edited December 2006
    I think you hit the proverbial nail there.
  • edited January 2007
    Personally I'd rather discuss the life of "Dharma Bum" Jack Keroack. I just wish he had'nt burned himself out on sex, drugs, & alcohol. His perspectives were soooo "Outside the Box"...............Maybe it was due to all the sex, drugs, & alcohol. Who knows? Anyone care to venture ? :mullet: