Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Money/mistakes. Caught between two fires.

RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran
edited December 2014 in Buddhism Basics

Hello,

So in the Netherlands at new years time we have some sort of patistry that is frittered. Or however you say it, it's called oliebol you can google it if your interested anyway I was given the task to go buy some since I have a car, my dad refuses to drive my car, and my mom has the parents mobile to go to work.

I get out of bed, early in the morning, my dad gave me 10 euro's this is what they would cost. However once I got in the store, the helper a young woman I guess 15-17 helped me. So I ordered the 24 oliebollen which would be 10 euro exactly. However once she scanned that stuff she made a mistake I think it came down to 6 euro. Of coure at the time I thought 'should I say something?' But I thought no and could already see my dad being really happy we saved 4 euro's. After all I thought this store is a big chain of stores and they must be making money enough. However after 2 minutes of walking out of the store I thought this was not the right thing to do. The Buddha said to enjoy your wealth that you made honest and such and so on.

4 Euro's is about 5 dollar and or 3.1 pound.

So I went back the girl that helped me was not there at that moment so I explained the case, counted my 'oliebollen.' Which indeed came down to 24 and payed them the 4 euro's, and told them not to let the girl get in problems because after all had I done and said the right thing straight away no one would have noticed.

Now however comes the issue, my dad. I feel kind of guilty I feel like if I did go back I would rob my dad of 4 euro's but if I didn't go back I would feel like thieving from the store... So I decided to give my dad back the 10 euro, however he won't accept and if I tell him what happened, he would call me a stupid oaf and that I should have kept that 4 euro and it was idiotic to pay it back.

So I feel like I couldn't have done a right thing in this case and wonder what I should have done... My dad is not a scrooge but he thinks everyone in the world would have taken that 4 euro's and I was stupid to not do so, even the clerks seemed to find it funny I actually came back to pay.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Your dad gave you 10 euros for 24 oliebollen.
    That's what you bought.

You don't have to tell your dad about the mistake.
    That was between you and the store.
    You did the right thing.

Your dad is not expecting change, because he gave you the right money, and you got the right thing.

You are creating a problem for you, that does not even exist.

Rowan1980SarahTHamsakacptshrk
  • @federica said:

You are creating a problem for you, that does not even exist.

Really is kinda funny how we do this to ourselves

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Rhodian said:
    So I feel like I couldn't have done a right thing in this case and wonder what I should have done... My dad is not a scrooge but he thinks everyone in the world would have taken that 4 euro's and I was stupid to not do so, even the clerks seemed to find it funny I actually came back to pay.

You did exactly the right thing and it demonstrates your integrity. Also these small examples of honesty can have a knock-on effect. Maybe next time the clerks are given too much money by mistake they will be honest and hand it back.

silverSarahT
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Telly03 said:
    Really is kinda funny how we do this to ourselves

>

Yes, I think it's called 'samsara'....

Hamsaka