Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Leaving a 'cult'

HamsakaHamsaka goosewhispererPolishing the 'just so' Veteran

I have an acquaintance I met via being a DV advocate/support person who is also a Mormon. Her husband is a sociopath and her community are, well, Mormons, and she is on the edge of being shunned for seeking help in her abusive relationship. I know many Mormons, and think this particular community is close knit and strict, and she herself used the word 'cult' in describing her community, not me.

Does anyone here know of an agency, a blog, a website, a foundation ??? any kind of collective that helps people seeking to leave such a 'cult'. I think she would do best with a Mormon-friendly type association, like a Mormon individual who left the church and the community and seeks to lend a hand or ear to those doing the same. That rather than an escaped Buddhist LOL I just want to keep it simple and specific. I just want to look at it a bit, and offer the link or whatever to her privately, as on our support forum we don't 'do' religion or politics to keep things simple.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas :)

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I should have put this in the OP: In particular, she is actively trying to cope with the conditioning. Her own knee jerk reactions are self-defeating, and from what little I know about folks leaving this sort of group, the conditioning is severe and begins at birth. She is the second or third generation of her family, so we're talking about serious 'conditioning' that may need a particular kind of help.