Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Legend of Speech

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited December 2006 in Faith & Religion
In both of our traditions, the birth of our Teacher is marked by signs and wonders.

As a child, my mother told me the story of the kneeling, talking animals. Over the years, I have woven it into many another tale told in the dark.

Each year, we spin a tale of transformation and change, of light returning on the last stroke of midnight. And we tell it, each adding their part in turn, around glowing candles. Five of us this year. Five stories about Christmases and wonder, sadness and joy, woven into each other. Children born and parents dying. Love lost and love found.

The curtains were open wide and lights burned in them for the benighted traveller and the woman in labour.

This year, as every year, the last story, the story that is told only in silence, followed the twelfth bell and, in the dark, the story of all those who have no voice.

Both Gautama and Jesus are said, in legend, to have been born without pain to their mothers. The curse of Eve, dukkha in samsara: suspended while the world is changed yet remains entirely itself.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2006
    It depends which version you read Simon....in the Koran, Mary goes through Hell and high water, with Allah sending her fruit and drink, under a tree that she might bear the Prophet Jesus....and I seem to recall that it specifically mentions that she suffers pain (as decreed by the Creator) as all women should..... Hmmmmm.....