Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The look of luck ( or is it merit ?)

edited December 2006 in General Banter
Had a chance to sit down with an elder gentelman from San Antonio who has built private jets in the past. He recently turned down a 250k offer for six months work, because it required him to travel. We discussed financing, and contractual progress payment plans as a funding option. His largest project was a private 747 for a saudi prince.

His words on what luck ( I'd say merit) looks like:

"Have you ever gotten that "out of the blue" call, in which someone asks you to do something you've never done before?"

I replied," Yes, but I saw no way to provide regional services for Best Buy, or fulfill a requested bid for county road maintance for a local municipality."

He said, " Those are random calls from luck, be ready for them when they come around, and you can't help but suceed."

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Iawa wrote:
    Had a chance to sit down with an elder gentelman from San Antonio who has built private jets in the past. He recently turned down a 250k offer for six months work, because it required him to travel. We discussed financing, and contractual progress payment plans as a funding option. His largest project was a private 747 for a saudi prince.

His words on what luck ( I'd say merit) looks like:

"Have you ever gotten that "out of the blue" call, in which someone asks you to do something you've never done before?"

I replied," Yes, but I saw no way to provide regional services for Best Buy, or fulfill a requested bid for county road maintance for a local municipality."

He said, " Those are random calls from luck, be ready for them when they come around, and you can't help but suceed."

Reminds me of an old man who used to sleep in my office doorway. Turns out he had been a top airline executive until he began to suffer from claustrophobia which eventually drove him to live on the streets, unable to enter a building. I was sitting having coffee with him, one morning, when he suddenly asked: "Do you believe in luck?" I replied that I didn't know. Then he said: "Well, I'm the luckiest person I know. I've had more luck in my life that anyone - and all of it has been bad!"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Like that old song "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

I don't know, Iawa. It sounds less like luck or merit to me than karma. It's really karma that is the reason for why we end up in the places and circumstances that we do. If we find ourselves in an advantageous place, able to take advantage of an offer, doesn't it have more to do with all the steps we took that led us there?
  • edited December 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Like that old song "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

I don't know, Iawa. It sounds less like luck or merit to me than karma. It's really karma that is the reason for why we end up in the places and circumstances that we do. If we find ourselves in an advantageous place, able to take advantage of an offer, doesn't it have more to do with all the steps we took that led us there?

Not really what I meant,

this morning........

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2247

thanks for the word on Karma. I get to go about my life until I'm diagnosed with cancer. There's no test for spouses.