Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Saddam's Execution

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2007 in Buddhism Today
Saddam will be executed Saturday December 30, 2006.

Or Friday, December 29th, @ 10:00 EST or 7:00 PST

-bf

Comments

• edited December 2006
    I'm still amazed that we STILL have'nt evolved to the point (as a species) to where we no longer can stomach our own primal tendencies toward revenge through murder and violence ! Two wrongs NEVER make a right ! They merely create more bloodshed ! Why can't we just learn this fact !!! When are we going to finally grow-up and redirect ALL of our effort toward nurturing and protecting our own kind (humankind)?....I mean , I'm just soooooooooo tired of being bombarded with reminders of just how primitive and infintile we STILL are! ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manner of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee
    edited December 2006
    Stories of heroes celebrate their bravery as they refuse to have their eyes covered in the face of death.

Saddam has managed, at the very last, to leave an image of courage behind him.

There are no excuses for the horrors and crimes for which he was responsible. We can hope that historical revisionism will never rehabilitate him as it has with other 'monsters'.

In Huis Clos, Sartre suggests that we are condemned to the judgment of others and that judgment may bear only on our last action: a cowardly death destroys a life of heroism.

Saddam is dead and the problems facing Iraq have not changed. No magic has suddenly given it peace and justice. No single death, nor even the death of millions, stops the process of history, although it may shift it into unexpected courses. As Buddhists or as Christians, many of us (not all - I acknowledge) believe that the hanging does not end anything: it is a transition. The Iraqi government, by making and releasing the video of the execution, may trap us in a moment away from which we are being carried.

At the turning of the year, as we begin to see the days lengthen (at last!), I am moved to pray that whatever it is that 'goes on' of Saddam Hussein may find peace and healing. I may be misrepresenting the strict Tibetan concept of the bardos. I know that I find the notion very hope-filled. Palzang is better qualified that I to explain them. Suffice it to say that they describe the dissolution of consciousness at death, identifying three stages which are (as I understand it) the final opportunities for 'awakening'.

In another thread, we hear about the practice of copying the sutras. As part of my meditation on the death of Saddam, and at my much more proletarian level, I am copying the first paragraphs of Sogyal Rinpoche's Tibetan Book of Living and Dying:
    The experience of death, for most people, will simply mean passing into a state of oblivion at the end of the process of dying. The three stages of the inner dissolution can be as quick, it is sometimes said, as three snaps of a finger. The white and red essences of father and mother meet at the heart, and the black experience called "full attainment" arises (1). The Ground Luminosity dawns, but we fail to recognise it and we faint into unconsciousness.

As I have said, this is the first failure to recognise, or stage of ignorance, called
    Ma Rigpa in Tibetan, the opposite of Rigpa. This marks the beginning in us of another cycle of samsara, which was interrupted for an instant at the moment of death. The bardo of dharmata then occurs, and it simply flashes past, unrecognised. This is the second failure of recognition, a second stage of ignorance, Ma Rigpa.

The first thing that we are aware of is "as if the sky and earth were separating again": We suddenly awaken into the intermediate state that lies between death and a new rebirth. This is called the
    bardo of becoming, the sipa bardo, and is the third bardo of death.
    (1) This puts me in mind of Jesus' cry of "Tetelestai" ("It is accomplished") at the moment of his death.

The teaching that I have received in the words of both Jesus and the Buddha shows me that I cannot judge the outcome of any other person's death transition. What I do know is that this semi-public execution has cast a pall over many of us.

(If you have read all the above, thank you. I needed to share some of my thoughts with friends who could understand. There are times when I feel quite isolated in my belief that "all will be well and and all will be well and all manner of things will be well". I know that there are still some here who persevere in this belief despite all the samsaric evidence to the contrary.)
  • edited December 2006
    Stories of heroes celebrate their bravery as they refuse to have their eyes covered in the face of death.

Saddam has managed, at the very last, to leave an image of courage behind him.

There are no excuses for the horrors and crimes for which he was responsible. We can hope that historical revisionism will never rehabilitate him as it has with other 'monsters'.
    SIZE]

Regardless of the correlates the name mantioned implies, one more is dead at the hands of another.
  • edited December 2006
    "The teaching that I have received in the words of both Jesus and the Buddha shows me that I cannot judge the outcome of any other person's death transition. What I do know is that this semi-public execution has cast a pall over many of us."

It's nice to see that someone else views this in the same light.
  • edited December 2006
    While I see it as quite barbaric and utterly ironic that we reign in a new era of freedom and democracy with the death and hangings of people. However, only more harm was coming from his perpetuated existence. For instance, the numerous lawyers and people involved in the proceedings died 'suspiciously.' More lives were at risk by keeping him alive.

And I would hardly be saddened if I had lost my family to the chemical weaponry genocide against the Shia or Kurds. I would be the first to kick the chair out from under him.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    While I found the spectacle of the execution completely repugnant, it is also important to remember that Sadaam created the causes for this to occur. I think the wisest thing I heard said amongst all the other flurry of words was from the Iraqi ambassador to the US. He said the important thing to keep in mind here was to remember all the victims of Sadaam's reign of terror. I think that's very good advice. There is no joy anywhere in all this.

When Mao Tse Tung died, the Dalai Lama wept. Why did he cry when this monster who killed perhaps a million Tibetans and created huge amounts of suffering died? Because the Dalai Lama realized the endless suffering that the being who was Mao in this life faced. I feel the same about Sadaam.

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    "Bringing Saddam Hussein to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq's course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain and defend itself, and be an ally in the war on terror," Bush said in a statement.

I cannot help but be appalled by the notion that the killing of an unarmed, defenceless person by masked people in a concrete shed, on video, is deemed by one president as a "milestone on (the) course to becoming a democracy". I fear that it is more likely to be a millstone.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Well, he meant millstone. He was never very good in spelling. Or anything else, for that matter.

Palzang
    edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    Well, he meant millstone. He was never very good in spelling. Or anything else, for that matter.

Palzang

Perhaps he has a more perceptive grasp of history than we believe: maybe it's true that 'democracy' cannot be established without a foundation in blood and slaughter.

And, of course, we have to bear in mind that one person's traitor is another's hero. As a guide in Westminster Abbey, I used to show visitors (including those from the US) the fine tomb dedicated to Major John Andre! (For those who do not know the name, here is a link:
    Major John Andre
    and his tomb:
    http://www.silverwhistle.co.uk/lobsters/andre.html)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Well, I must think that he left as the hero. :)
  • edited December 2006
    German government critisized the execution. Death penality is a big no over here. Not that it changes something, jfyi.

The statement was something like this :" We are against death penality, executing whomever we do not support. Nevertheless, our thoughts are with all the victims of Saddam`s rule today"

French paper LeMonde writes: If one stands by the principle to reject the death penaltiy, as it is the case in the whole European Union, there can not be exceptions. To speak of exceptions would mean to undermine the principle.
  • edited December 2006
    Counterpuch has a rather good article online

Important to remember is especially this:

That Saddam was a tyrant is beyond dispute, but what is conveniently forgotten is that most of his crimes were committed when he was a staunch ally of those who now occupy the country. It was, as he admitted in one of his trial outbursts, the approval of Washington (and the poison gas supplied by West Germany) that gave him the confidence to douse Halabja with chemicals in the midst of the Iran-Iraq war.

As for me, I especially remember today smart and upright people like Edward Said who wrote 2003 :

I have been criticised recently for my anti-war position by illiterates who claim that what I say is an implied defence of Saddam Hussein and his appalling regime. To my Kuwaiti critics, do I need to remind them that I publicly opposed Ba'athi Iraq during the only visit I made to Kuwait in 1985, when in an open conversation with the then Minister of Education Hassan Al-Ibrahim I accused him and his regime of aiding and abetting Arab fascism in their financial support of Saddam Hussein? I was told then that Kuwait was proud to have committed billions of dollars to Saddam's war against "the Persians", as they were then contemptuously called, and that it was a more important struggle than someone like me could comprehend. I remember clearly warning those Kuwaiti acolytes of Saddam Hussein about him and his ill will against Kuwait, but to no avail. I have been a public opponent of the Iraqi regime since it came to power in the 70s: I never visited the place, never was fooled by its claims to secularism and modernisation (even when many of my contemporaries either worked for or celebrated Iraq as the main gun in the Arab arsenal against Zionism, a stupid idea, I thought), never concealed my contempt for its methods of rule and fascist behaviour. And now when I speak my mind about the ridiculous posturing of certain members of the Iraqi opposition as hapless strutting tools of US imperialism, I am told that I know nothing about life without democracy (about which more later), and am therefore unable to appreciate their nobility of soul. Little notice is taken of the fact that barely a week after extolling President Bush's commitment to democracy Professor Makiya is now denouncing the US and its plans for a post-Saddam military-Ba'athi government in Iraq. When individuals get in the habit of switching the gods whom they worship politically there's no end to the number of changes they make before they finally come to rest in utter disgrace and well deserved oblivion.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I'll let Shantideva have my last word on this:

If unhappiness befalls your enemy,
    Why should this be a cause for your rejoicing?
    The wishes of your mind alone,
    Will not in fact contrive his injury.
    And if your hostile wishes were to bring them harm,
    Again, what cause of joy is that to you?
    'Why, then I should be satisfied!' -- are these your thoughts?
    Is anything more ruinous than that?

May 2007 bring happiness in peace in place of the war and suffering we experienced in 2006!

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    I find the many people who watch and rewatch and spread ther video of his execution disgusting. Very sad for the human race.
  • edited January 2007
    The murders that Sadaam committed inevitably led to his own execution. Of that I have little doubt. However; As I looked at his photograph in the newspaper I could'nt help but feel compassion for him. Not for anything that he did or did'nt do / But because he looked like a child. Somehow the image of two masked men placing a humongous yellow hangman's noose around a living human being's neck---in order to end his life---brought up feelings within me on the integral connectedness of all sentient beings. When one dies we all suffer death.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    ahem. not Amen.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    The murders that Sadaam committed inevitably led to his own execution. Of that I have little doubt. However; As I looked at his photograph in the newspaper I could'nt help but feel compassion for him. Not for anything that he did or did'nt do / But because he looked like a child. Somehow the image of two masked men placing a humongous yellow hangman's noose around a living human being's neck---in order to end his life---brought up feelings within me on the integral connectedness of all sentient beings. When one dies we all suffer death.

I felt much the same way.
    edited January 2007
    It would be very comforting to believe that "The murders that Sadaam committed inevitably led to his own execution" but I fear it is not so.

The greatest mass-murderer of the 20th Century, Stalin, died in his bed as did Augusto Pinochet and many another.

Although I have not - and shall not - viewed the camera-phone footage of Saddam's execution, just as I refused to watch the execution of hostages, it may be that some people will realise just what we are allowing when we give our rulers permission to execute.

This execution was revenge, impure but simple. That it should have turned into a fracas is unsurprising. It was a lynching, sanctioned by a dubious court process and rushed through for political reasons.

It shames us that the leaders of the 'democracies' have either refused to comment or have supported the execution.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Karma is exacting however. Whether it ripens in this life or a future one are immaterial.

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Palzang,

That is certainly true. While the precise working out of the results of kamma is considered one of the four unconjecturables (AN 4.77), there are said to be three ways in which those results (vipaka) can ripen—during this life-time (dittha-dhamma-vedaniya-kamma); in the next birth (upapajja-vedaniya-kamma); and in later births (aparapariya-vedaniya-kamma). Furthermore, the reasons why the results of unwholesome deeds vary from one person to another are elaborated upon in the Lonaphala Sutta (AN 3.99), the Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta (MN 135), and the Maha-kammavibhanga Sutta (MN 136) just to name a few. Essentially, as the Venerable Thanissaro so eloquently puts it in Wings to Awakening, the relationship between an act and its result as not predictable and tit-for-tat due to the fact that the principle of this/that conditionality makes this relationship inherently more complex.

Regards,

Jason
  • edited January 2007
    I have a hard time fathoming how people can feel sad for Saddamm. There would have been few complaints if Hitler had been captured and executed. Saddamm was a murderer, a genocidal murderer. Respect denied from this side of the table. If I were Iraqi, I would probably rejoice in the celebrations as well.

Compassion for such people is a quality they do not share, but will easily thrive on. How can we reasonably show pity for dictators like Hussein? And what would have been a better option? He received due process at the cost of many involved innocent lives I might add.

Victimizing him doesn't make sense to me. He is dead. Good riddance.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I feel sad for him because of the incredible suffering he has created for himself with his actions. It's like I said about the Dalai Lama crying when Chairman Mao died. It wasn't because he liked Mao or what he did, but because he also is a sentient being, and he created immense suffering for himself.

Palzang
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited January 2007
    (If you have read all the above, thank you. I needed to share some of my thoughts with friends who could understand. There are times when I feel quite isolated in my belief that "all will be well and and all will be well and all manner of things will be well". I know that there are still some here who persevere in this belief despite all the samsaric evidence to the contrary.)

Friend,
    Things are already well. But we fail to realize this in the same manner as we mistake a rope for a snake. We are paralyzed with deadly fear by the horrors & phantoms of this world, but all for naught. I am not beyond this yet myself, as I am intending to become more actively engaged with the fear at present, but I have faith that this is true. May we all come to see this unmistakably for ourselves. May we all come come to witness the death of fear.
    Palzang wrote:
    While I found the spectacle of the execution completely repugnant, it is also important to remember that Sadaam created the causes for this to occur. I think the wisest thing I heard said amongst all the other flurry of words was from the Iraqi ambassador to the US. He said the important thing to keep in mind here was to remember all the victims of Sadaam's reign of terror. I think that's very good advice. There is no joy anywhere in all this.

When Mao Tse Tung died, the Dalai Lama wept. Why did he cry when this monster who killed perhaps a million Tibetans and created huge amounts of suffering died? Because the Dalai Lama realized the endless suffering that the being who was Mao in this life faced. I feel the same about Sadaam.

Palzang

Palzang,
    Excellent thoughts. For the benefit of all sentient beings, may Saddam & all the terrible beings have their negative karma ripen in the most expedient manner possible & may they find the path to freedom.

KOB,
    It is my understanding, as far as the teachings go, that both you & I (and everyone for that matter) have committed worse crimes than this fellow Saddam. And furthermore, he is going to reap a very bitter harvest from these seeds he has sown & cultivated. Potentially, countless aeons of hell & preta realms. Now, if you don't believe in that stuff, then I can understand your sentiments a bit more, but this is pretty much what the teachings tell us. Additionally, feeling sadness at his death does not mean we do not feel sadness for the death of those killed by the hands of this horrible murderer. It's just a recognition of the sadness of this situation. This recognition quite naturally inspires us to practice further & be better human beings. To awaken our innermost potential & bring benefit to the myriad worlds, to bring ourselves out of the mire & muck of Samsaric existence & bring joy, peace & hope to all beings.

Best wishes & metta
    _/\_
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    I find that to be a good post, N1N2.....
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, Fede. I appreciate that.

metta
    _/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    To follow on to what not1not2 said, we can also look at Sadaam as our teacher because he taught us the horrible consequences of denying the buddhanature of ourselves and other sentient beings, denying the oneness of all beings, in other words. As the Dalai Lama said when asked who he considered his greatest teacher, he responded the Chinese because they taught him compassion.

Palzang
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited April 2007
    I've taken part of a similar discussion on this site, and everyone knows where I stand on the death penalty. The summarized version of it is this, it is unjust and unfair to expect law abiding people to support heinous criminals who are a continuous threat to society. It costs millions of dollars to keep someone alive in a prison cell for the remainder of their life.

However, there has been no accomplishment in hanging Saddam. My feelings on this execution are nonexistent. I feel nothing now that he is dead. The "insurgency" continues in Iraq, it is inching ever closer to civil war, and Americans are continuing to die almost daily while constrained by Rules of Engagement that prevent this war from being fought. And yet, Saddam was given some gifts and opportunities that few others in Iraq could match, and he wasted it all on securing his own power and eliminating his enemies.

BTW, a minor technicality, while many of the people working in the higher levels of the federal government were in the lower levels when Saddam was put in power, this is not really the same government as that time. We have a whole slew of high level Politicians and Military Officers who had no real say in what was done in the 70s/80s. Basically, once again, our generation is cleaning up the mistakes of an earlier generation.
    edited April 2007
    bushinoki wrote:
    ........................ once again, our generation is cleaning up the mistakes of an earlier generation.

It is, alas, true that parents condemn their sons and daughters to clear up their mess. Iraq, Iran and Israel - all were created by the Euro-US alliance, within living memory, as they are now. It is my generation which put Saddam and the Ayatollahs into power, for our own benefit, and now we are sacrificing our kids to the same benefit.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Not1 said:
    Friend,
    Things are already well. But we fail to realize this in the same manner as we mistake a rope for a snake. We are paralyzed with deadly fear by the horrors & phantoms of this world, but all for naught. I am not beyond this yet myself, as I am intending to become more actively engaged with the fear at present, but I have faith that this is true. May we all come to see this unmistakably for ourselves. May we all come come to witness the death of fear.
    Thank you for saying what may very well end up being my mantra when I have another panic attack. I had a vague strategy which involved the understanding that I am a deluded being in a world full of suffering and it's no wonder that I sometimes become overwhelmed by fear. But you fleshed out my skeleton of a strategy in such a perfectly concise and accurate way that I have a feeling this will be the one tool that may finally get me through. Thank you very, very, much, Not1. (Is there supposed to be a comma after the second very?) You don't know how grateful I am.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    (Is there supposed to be a comma after the second very?)

No. But who gives a shoot? :D
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2007
    federica wrote:
    No. But who gives a shoot? :D
    I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy. :grin:

Look at the Ven. Bhikkhu Samahita's quote #231 from yesterday's Daily Dhamma Drops:

Then he should think:
    May all beings be joyous and safe!
    Let every creature's mind rejoice.
    Whatever breathing beings there are,
    No matter whether feeble or firm,
    With none excepted, whether long;
    Tall, big, medium, short or small;
    Whether seen or unseen, visible or not;
    Whether living far or near, here or there;
    Whether existing or just about to become;
    Let every living being's mind be jubilant!!!
    Let none kill or another one undo,
    Nor harm anyone anywhere at all …

Let none wish another any ill, neither
    From provocation nor by any evil revenge.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited May 2007
    Wow - this thread has some very interesting and thought provoking posts made.

I've really enjoyed this. Especially the thoughts of karma.

-bf
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited May 2007
    this thread also highlights the fact that there is sometimes a wide gap between the right thing to do and the necessary thing to do. Just a quick little quote before I sign out tonight:

"He has weapons of mass destruction, and he will use them." Former Pres. Bill Clinton.

What a friggin mess.