Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone else done this? Just curious...

MakarovMakarov Explorer
edited January 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Dear Sangha, I am so excited as the date approaches! I will be going to spend 2 weeks at a Chinese Chan Monastery in February from the 3rd to the 18th. I have visited the Monastery already and found it to be a wonderful FIRST attendance in a Buddhist Temple and worship service as well as "Sunday School".
I will be at the MABA Monastery in Augusta, Mo during their Winter Retreat. I will receive one week of concentration on "Instruction" in which we study Buddhism and another week of "Practice" in which we focus on meditation, Liturgy and formal Zen ritual, etc. The entire period will be one where the day begins around 0600 and is filled with meditation and formal services as well as "work". The day formally ends at 9pm.
Has anyone else out there done such a thing and what was yur experience like? Have any photos or stories to share?:wavey:

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Makarov,

I have often spent time at Theravada monasteries. My experiences always differed according to the place and my own states of mind during my stays. Each time, I had a new perspective and experience, although the superficial aspects were not that much different. Basically, the structure of my visits have remained relatively constant—rising at around 5:30 am to 6:00 for morning chanting followed by light chores, breakfast, more chores, lunch, meditation, free time, meditation, evening chanting, meditation, and finally bedtime around 10:00 pm.

Nevertheless, when I had expectations of what would happen such as with meditation experiences, I was highly disappointed. When I relinquished my expectations of what should happen, or what I should try to achieve, I found that my experiences were not at all disappointing. It helped to put my lay-life behind me while I was there, forgetting about my family, my job, or anything else that lied outside of the monastery's boundaries. Focusing fully on what I was doing, I tried not to worry about making mistakes, and really putting forth effort.

Regards,

Jason
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited January 2007
    Thanks Jason for your info. I think in the expectations department, I don't really have too many. My main excitement is simply the fact that I will be amongst ONLY monks and nuns, all of whom will be in a wonderful position to deepen my knowledge and understanding as a relative newbie. I have met them already and they all seem very willing to "instruct" and answer questions and believe me....my questions are going to be quite basic compared to those of much more knowledgeable Buddhists. Good advice though...keep the expectations to a minimum and just let it happen.
  • edited January 2007
    ah hai, u can't learn direct knowledge from those of ur level or below.

I like the old stories
    keep asking the same question over and over each day til you feel you fully comprehend it.. although i feel i would drive ppl mad if i did this.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Celebrin wrote:
    keep asking the same question over and over each day til you feel you fully comprehend it...............

This is, indeed, a technique that we have used on study weekends and longer workshops, Enlightenment Intensives, and so on.

In the Ignatian tradition of retreats, we are confronted with decisions as well as such questions. repeating them until we have emptied out our 'intellectual' answers leaves us with an emptiness in which other things arise.
  • edited January 2007
    Makarov:

I am excited for you. It sound like a sesshin - at least that last week- I have not met many who want to go to sesshins, lol. Iam looking at my centers newsleter adn looking at their retreats with a low rumbling in my belly...

I hope tou get a lot out of it :-) Sounds like a wonmdeful opportunity for everyone involved.