Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I thought this was interesting...

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Some critics have argued that only a Bible should be used for the swearing-in. Last month, Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode...................., R-Va., warned that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow Ellison's lead.
    Makes you wonder at the intellectual competence of the elected Representatives!

The 'absurdist' playwright N.F. Simpson in his play One Way Pendulum, has an agnostic swearing on the book that he considered the most important: Uncle Tom's Cabin. His oath started :"I swear by Harriet Beecher Stowe....."

Personally, within the context of separation of 'church' and state, I would have considered it more appropriate to take the oath on a copy of the Constitution. But then I'm not a citizen of the US. Our own Members of Parliament have to take an oath of fealty to the Monarch - which is why the IRA members such as Gerry Adams were never permitted to take their seats despite having a popular mandate.

What does this Republican Rep. do about other non-Christian reps? Or does he want there to be a religious test before admission to the House?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I thought the hillers response was quite funny.

I think swearing on oath on something like the constitution is an excellent idea. After all, this oath being sworn is in regards to upholding the laws of the land - not interpreting how God is going to tell an individual how to vote on Capital Hill.

But, I did think it was interesting that this was a book Thomas Jefferson had.

-bf
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Another interesting thing is that Jesus said it is best not to swear by anything, for it is not ours to swear by.

Oh well

metta
    _/\_
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Having appeared in court a number of times, in different roles from accused to expert witness, I have had to swear to tell the truth. I have always chosen to affirm rather than to swear on a sacred text.

When I was a member of a Christian church, I did so out of respect for the injunction against swearing (vide supra, Not1not2: Matthew 5:34). When no longer able to give consent to the sacrosanct nature of Scripture, I did so because it seemed hypocritical. In all instances, I saw the oath/affirmation as a challenge to me rather than needing 'divine' sanction.
  • edited January 2007

Personally, within the context of separation of 'church' and state, I would have considered it more appropriate to take the oath on a copy of the Constitution. But then I'm not a citizen of the US.

Well, I am a citizen and that has always (or at least for the past few years) been my suggestion, not that anyone in the government listens to me. If I were elected, I would certainly swear on the Constitution rather than a religious text, but the chances of me getting elected - being a Buddhist and more importantly an atheist - is about zilch even if I was qualified (which I'm not) and wanted the job (which I don't).