Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist congresswoman sworn in, urges tolerance

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
Buddhist congresswoman sworn in, urges tolerance
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007701060308
By Dennis Camire
Gannett News Service

WASHINGTON — While a new, Muslim member of Congress sparked a controversy for taking his oath of office with a Quran instead of a Bible on Thursday, another new member who is Buddhist was sworn in with no book at all.

Rep. Mazie Hirono, a Hawaii Democrat who was raised in the Buddhist tradition, said, "I don't have a book. ... But I certainly believe in the precepts of Buddhism and that of tolerance of other religions and integrity and honesty."

Members of the House for the 110th Congress were sworn in en masse, then had individual swearing-in ceremonies with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. In many cases, members rest a hand on a Bible while taking the oath, but they're not required to do so.

Keith Ellison, a Minnesota Democrat, took his oath on a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson. Prior to his taking the oath, he was criticized by Virginia Republican Virgil Goode, who warned of an influx of Muslims being elected to public office.

In an op-ed piece in USA Today, Goode wrote, "I believe that if we do not stop illegal immigration totally, reduce legal immigration and end diversity visas, we are leaving ourselves vulnerable to infiltration by those who want to mold the United States into the image of their religion, rather than working within the Judeo-Christian principles that have made us a beacon for freedom-loving persons around the world."

Of the controversy, Hirono said, "It's about time that we have people of other backgrounds and faiths in Congress ... what happened to separation of church and state and religious tolerance? I believe in those things."

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    You know... what's really interesting is:

Virgil is gettin' his big ole panties in a bunch worrying about the influx of politicians who don't have Christian beliefs. What is really odd is that:

THIS IDIOT DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THAT THE PEOPLE VOTED THESE POLITICIANS INTO PUBLIC. OBVIOUSLY THEY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT ~HIS~ CHRISTIAN BELIEFS.

Whew!, I feel better!

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I'm so glad you got that off your chest, bf. As if any of the so-called Xians in Congress actually were!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    A few decades ago, he's have objected to non-white reps! And he is probably apoplectic that not only have women got the vote but one of them is pretending to chair the House.

It is the return of such creatures to your Congress and our Parliament that makes one wonder about democracy!