Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whaddya all think?

2»

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I found this article on Australian atrocities, X-ray.

It was pretty easy to find. Maybe you should actually try "looking" ... hmmm? Yes???

http://www.vegemite.com.au/

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    You're right, bf. Vegemite is the spawn of the devil! Once we had a member of our Australian sangha visit with us, and he found some of the cursed stuff in a store and brought it home for us to try. Needless to say, it remained in the frig untouched until we moved and tossed it!

As for the Japanese acceptance of their karma, Buddhism runs deep there, so the idea of karma is part of their makeup. You might say they receive it with their mother's milk. There were many Japanese who did not like at all what their country was up to in those days but were afraid to speak up, just like in Germany. Unfortunately many of the Buddhist leaders of the time parroted the nationalistic theme - with a few notable exceptions (Shunryu Suzuki Roshi being one). The period after WWII was a time of great national shame for the Japanese, but I think they handled it quite well, generally speaking.

Palzang
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of the fire-bombing of Japan, anyone ever seen "Grave of the Fireflies" by Hiyao Miyazake? It's possibly the saddest movie ever made (partly because you know that it isn't far from reality at all). I can hardly handle watching it.

metta
    _/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I haven't seen it, not1, but I have seen it on Amazon. Looked interesting. I'll have to check it out. I really enjoyed the Buddha manga series by Osamu Tezuka, who's like the father of manga. I thought it was excellent - I bought all 9 volumes! Anyone else ever read it?

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    Yes, I have the Tezuka series, and also most of Miyazake's work as well.

Speaking of Miyazake, did you know there is a Totoro store in Kamakura?
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I found this article on Australian atrocities, X-ray.

It was pretty easy to find. Maybe you should actually try "looking" ... hmmm? Yes???

http://www.vegemite.com.au/

-bf

well okay. point taken.

okay we want to start bashing countries involved in the war of the stomachs? okay..

McDonalds

enough said?:rocker:
    edited January 2007
    Oh don't even start.

It's gross and you know it.

You don't see us opening up McVegemites over here, do YA?????

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    In a way the fact that people don`t know about this is proving my point.

Sorry I am not much of a scholar. But I will try to dig up some sources. It may take a while, I prefer non-electronic sources of information.

The quantity of the atrocities may certainly be less on one side than another, but this isn`t about quantity of the negative actions it is about the negative quality of them. And of course it is going to be hard to find the information as easily as one should if you see my view that these things happened/are happening and yet are being forgotten because done by the winning side, or else done in a just cause. But ends don`t justify the means, do they? At least not all the time.

For the moment I regret that I have nothing better to offer than my somewhat vague memories of a book that I thought was perfectly respectable in which I read that Australian units in WWII were known for taking a policy of "take no prisoners". What might that mean in practical reality? Shooting surrendering soldiers is the same as murdering POWs. Perhaps you don`t call that an atrocity, but I do. A surrendering soldier IS a POW. Maybe I am too credulous, but I don`t really find it at all hard to believe. I mean we Americans and Australians committed genocide on the aboriginals of our respective continents. Every Tasmanian died down to the last man woman and child. And several years back they opened up to the U.S. public previously secret files about WWII. All kinds of stuff came out and it was in well-known magazines like Newsweek and Time: stuff Americans did like sinking captured hospital ships with all the patients and doctors and everybody. One particular thing I saw on American TV was a film made by a US submarine captain. After sinking a Japanese ship, they surfaced and used their deck gun to shoot all the survivors floating on the sea in their life preservers. That they wanted to film themselves doing it speaks volumes, I would say. The fire-bombing done by the British and Americans is a well-known enough (but not really remembered enough, almost as if Dresden were an isolated case!) Civilians were the target and were not some kind of "collateral dammage." It is known about, it`s docmumented, but it isn`t lamented enough. And therefore we do it again, now, in Iraq and Afghanistan. No doubt heroism goes on there among our soldiers as well, though.

I`m trying not to harbour ill-will either towards my own nation or others`. I think the fact is, each one of us in previous lives has commited untold numbers of heinous crimes. As I`ve said before, there is plenty of mud to go around.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Of course, you're right - an atrocity is an atrocity, but again I have to point out that for the Japanese and Germans these atrocities were policy, not isolated incidents by overzealous soldiers and sailors. The Germans, for instance, would kill 10 civilians for every soldier killed by partisan forces. When that didn't put a stop to it, they kept increasing the numbers. They even completely wiped out an entire village in Poland as retribution for partisan attacks. These weren't random acts by rogue soldiers or commanders; this was their policy. The Japanese did even worse. In those cases, the negative karma accrues not just to those involved but to the entire nation. That's what I'm talking about.

And I just have to ask, in the case of the American submarine commander, did you ever consider that maybe it wasn't an atrocity? Could the submarine have rescued the ship's crew? Probably not. Space is very limited in a submarine, especially the ones they were using then, and no doubt the incident occured in enemy territory, which would have made it very dangerous for the sub to try a rescue. So the choice the captain had was abandon the crew to their fate - which most likely would mean they would very soon become shark food - or kill them so as not to prolong their suffering. What would you do? Such choices are never easy, and one should refrain from casting judgment on ignorant sentient beings who were trying to do the best they could under horrendous circumstances. As for the Australian policy of "take no prisoners", if indeed that is true, one should also keep in mind that Japanese soldiers were trained to never surrender. They would often pretend to surrender, only to detonate a hidden grenade when the Allied soldiers approached. So again, what would you do?

The same argument can be made for the use of atomic weapons against Japan. President Truman was faced with a horrible choice. Either he could refuse to use the weapons and go ahead with the planned invasion of Japan against a fierce and entrenched enemy who, again, vowed never to surrender (casualty estimates for Allied soldiers in such an invasion were about 1.5 million dead), or use the weapons to demonstrate to the Japanese that further resistance was futile. Again, what would you do? I certainly can't fault Truman's choice, such as it was.

It is said that when one's karma is to be reborn in the hell realms, one is reborn as a national leader as that will certainly accomplish the result.

Palzang
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I feel I'm getting into an area where I may become dishonorable to you-VWP. That is something I do not wish to do-so please respect to you Void and I understand where you are coming from Palzang-thank you both. However VWP I think I see a slightly different perspective to yours and one that is VERY close to Palzangs.

respect to you.
  • edited January 2007
    Xrayman and Palzang:

Thank you for being clear and kind in our disagreement.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    SYMBOLS HAVE NO MEANINGS IN THEMSELVES!

They only have meanings associated with them.

AHGHHHGHH!

On this point I just refuse to agree to disagree.

Dog-gone IT!!!!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Since I am still seeing the avatar up there, I am guessing that you feel, Federica, that you haven`t been asked to change it. But to my way of seeing things some of the posts on the thread could be taken as an indirect request (a suggestion, perhaps?) that it be changed. So why do we still see the avatar? I think maybe some feelings were harmed.....

......But I am not offended by the symbol. I`ve gotten used to seeing it as a Buddhist sign.......
    ......Anyway, lots of raw feelings about stuff. Maybe the swaztika ought not be used here.

As I stated, if somebody approaches me directly and specifically requests I remove the avatar, I would do so without hesitation.
    Nobody has yet done so, and in fact, much interesting, thought-provoking and stimulating dicussion has ensued (although I have some doubts about the vegemite/McDonalds issue.....Is the Big red 'M' a current symbol of the triumph of Capitalist profitteering over common sense eating? Will it always mean this, or will it be given some other significance,in time?)

An unequivocal and explanatory request to delete the avatar will bring about the desired result.
    But judging by your post, VWP, you also, may be the subject of confusion and mixed feelings.....?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Xrayman and Palzang:

Thank you for being clear and kind in our disagreement.

And I appreciate your view, VWP. Unfortunately, your posts aside, I seem to detect a trend in modern-day Japan to forget the bad things that happened during the war and to glorify the Japanese military of that time. I think that's dangerous, though perhaps no more dangerous than the current trend in the US (and elsewhere) to glorify military exploits and indeed the military solution to so-called problems. Obviously it's not just Japan where this is a problem, but I also think the Japanese need to be reminded every once in a while about the truth of the matter. As the Jewish survivors of the Holocaust constantly remind us (those that are still alive anyway) - Never again!

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    I remember reading or seeing a show where Germans were in a discussion with Jews about what happened in WW2.

One German said something like, "C'mon.. that happened almost 50 years ago!!!"

One Jew said something like, "Yes... it wasn't even 50 years ago that something like this could happen."

-bf
    edited January 2007
    By using a swastika-type logo, Fede challenged each of us to examine our own 'offendedness' and test it against our standards of what is good and skillful. Of course, there is a long tradition of deliberate and provocative 'avatars' and soubriquets, stretching back long before internet bulletin boards. As a process of choosing a name or an image to lead the minds of the audience, it is used all the time. Adolf must have been a popular name in parts of Germany/Austria for some years!

What convinces me that the Swastika still holds enormous power to move people is the very fact that we discuss it at such length and such depth; the extent to which the personal is also shared. This is not a 'scientific' discussion on the proportions of the cross (quite different in Fede's 'skinny' swastika) or its orientation or colour. It takes us into the darkest parts of ourselves: the 'follower' in each of us, the temptation to repression, the concentration camp guard or 'dispassionate doctor' who lurks in the labyrinth of our own minds.

I would not ban or outlaw or suppress any symbol or, even, transformation/modification/satirising of any symbol. Both our deep reverence for or repulsion experienced are 'poisons', 'glamours'. They are the glue with which we stick 'found' elements in memory together and construct an 'opinion' or, even worse, a 'belief'.

Of course, we have some awareness of how we organise the world but, when we are strongly moved by a gestalt of lines and colours, it does suggest that we still have some pretty solid 'work' to do on ourselves.

Simon

Mostly, dear Pilgrim, when I read you I am astounded by clarity and conciseness, but quite often I hardly understand you at all, hoping that reading you at a later time will be of benefit, which case is certainly often true. I had to read this several times to be able to get some grasp of the depth of your thought here. However, the text I have coloured red seems imprecise to me.

Banning or outlawing symbols in the USA with our 1st amendment entitlements seems both unreasonable and undoable, but each one of us suppresses some things, even if they are just tendencies within ourselves.

Secondly, I do NOT object to the symbols PERSONALLY as much as what effects they may have on what St. Paul calls "our weaker brethren." (1 Cor 8) In like manner, I would urge any neighbour of mine to remove the Confederate flag bumper sticker from his car, saying that the kids in the neighbourhood look up to him, and does he really want this "thing" to continue. But I would accomplish nothing by jeering at his flag.
    My being is NOT "strongly moved by a gestalt of lines and colours." It is much closer to the truth that sometimes impatience with either conventional or controversial matters causes me to OVERSTATE really how I feel.
    I always thought the swastika was an ancient Zoroastrian symbol. Am surprised to hear that it is Buddhist. Don't really cope too well with surprises. Not interested in learning any more about the dern swastika. And I only wanna lot of peace, a little mercy, and many aids to forgetting painful things. The present world political situation is more than enough poison for me, and, I assume, for many of the other “weaker brethren,” besides myself.

Namaste
    (going on retreat myself tomorrow.)
  • edited February 2007
    Federica:

I don`t have any problem at all with that Buddhist symbol in and of itself. And your use of it has indeed given rise to an interesting interchange of ideas. My own discomfort stemmed from comments of other forum participants on this thread, comments which have made me aware of some of my own "baggage" concerning Japan.

Palzang:

Good point, and I do think it is true that many people in Japan (and elsewhere) are far from being conscious enough of misdeeds done by their nation.

But your words about the American captain shooting people possibly to save them from becoming shark food make me want to mention the fact that my dearest Japanese friend`s grandfather was a communications officer during WWII in the Japanese navy. He died, just about three years ago, at the venerable age of 94, and though I did not have the privelage of meeting him, my friend describes her grandfather as a man of such wisdom and compassion that his eyes could look into you and understand you and speak to you without the need for words to be uttered. He survived his ship beeing sunk. I am glad the sharks didn`t get him either, or else my friend wouldn`t exist!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, me too. One of the most heartening things I've seen in recent years is the reunions between Japanese and ANZUS veterans where they get to share their common bond rather than shoot at each other. Now, if only we could figure out how to teach that great lesson to those in power...

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Federica:

I don`t have any problem at all with that Buddhist symbol in and of itself. And your use of it has indeed given rise to an interesting interchange of ideas.

Thank you, BTS, but it has bothered someone on forum enough for them to ask me directy to remove it. In line with my original statement, I have duly complied. hence the Buddha-kid.... :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    federica wrote:
    Thank you, BTS, but it has bothered someone on forum enough for them to ask me directy to remove it. In line with my original statement, I have duly complied. hence the Buddha-kid.... :)

It does rather suggest that any avatar may have the potential to offend someone.
    edited February 2007
    It does rather suggest that any avatar may have the potential to offend someone.

.........Doncha like my Buddha-kid - ?!

You know what they say, Simon, about pleasing all of the people....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    No, it's offensive! Making fun of me that way...:winkc:

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    federica wrote:
    .........Doncha like my Buddha-kid - ?!

You know what they say, Simon, about pleasing all of the people....

I thought that was about fooling all of the people!

Your Buddha-kid is, of course, an affront to:
    • the childless;
    • the child-haters;
    • those who demand 'historical accuracy';
    • those who hate anything schmaltzy
    It is, quite obviously, a deliberate insult to the god Cupid and you should be tied to a rock and consumed by the Kraken.
    edited February 2007
    I like it. It's friendly. Really loved your Audrey Hepburn ones.

Can I 'fess up, 'Rica?

I always admired you 'cuz you seemed so UNATTACHED to your avatar. You changed it so frequently.

Federica's Current Avatar: (sweet!)
  • edited February 2007
    Palzang

I met an old guy on the beach here who goes around wearing a US Navy cap. He likes talking to foreigners, so he came up to our group (we were doing a litter clean up of the beach ) and started talking to us in English. He said something like: "I am a friend of the US navy. I like to visit their ships when they are in port, meet and talk to US navy personnel.....I trained in WWII to be a Kamikaze pilot, but the war ended just days before I was to fly. I cried because I could not complete my mission. Now I am a friend of the US navy." I loved and respected that old man who faced death a long time ago.

All and everyone:

If we are to turn this into a general discussion of our avatars, it might be interesting. My avatar might be a bit alarming to some, and I welcome the chance to explain it a bit...

It is from one of Japan`s national treasures, located at Horyuji temple in Nara, Japan. Horyuji is one of the oldest and most important temples in Japan. The figure is a good deal over a thousand years old and is from a multi-figure group depicting the Buddha`s passing into Nirvana. This particular figure is of one of the monks who were suffering because they were attached to the physical presence of the Buddha. We might be Buddhists and practitioners and all, but then negative emotions may still come.....I hope it reminds me (and/or anyone else who might need such reminding) that I/we have/may have a long way to go yet.
    edited February 2007
    I thought it was a lava-preserved being from Pompeii, so I'm glad you cleared that little matter up - !

* It may well be that this thread has really run its course, so I'm going to close it, for no other reasons that we are either going over previous discussion, or we're just off-topicking...
    Naturally, if someone has something of further note to add, I'll be glad to open it up again.

Thank you all for your valued, concise, open-minded and thought-provoking contributions. It's been a pleasure. :)*
This discussion has been closed.