Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Deist Buddhist …Are you one of these ?

2»

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

And then usually a mod reminds people to get back on track.... ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...Or closes the thread....

Fine, there are too many threads about God here anyway. ;)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Maybe we need a nagging thread.... ;)

And we could hold it at the Nag's Head

Nuffink like a good moan over a pint of mild... ;)

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Or an authentic and original Guiness.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Fine, there are too many threads about God here anyway. ;)

(D'you think it's time for a thread-merge?! :lol: )

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@federica said:
    (D'you think it's time for a thread-merge?! :lol: )

No... just to stop nagging :D

I will if you will...

• robotrobot Veteran

Perhaps if @vinlyn had said "hag" instead...

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

No, no, no. Hag is definitely affiliated with females.

@vinlyn said:
    No, no, no. Hag is definitely affiliated with females.

Ah, good. All that education didn't go to waste then....

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2015

@Shoshin said:
    If you’re Buddhist and ‘believe' in a creator god who set the ball rolling but does not intervene in worldly affairs then it's quite possible you are a Deist Buddhist (But I could be wrong) Deism

Personally, if my mind could stretch far enough for a need to 'believe' in a creator god (sans tangible "convincing" proof) then it would settle on the deist's wind up clockwork version of evolution...

Are you a Deist (clockwork) Buddhist ? (This is not a wind up :D )

I'm not sure. I've definitely come to appreciate the idea of God in ways I haven't before. I've also come to the opinion that all religious language is better viewed as symbolic language rather than presenting a literal, objective picture of reality and the absolute. They're fingers pointing to the moon, not the moon itself.

As for God, I see in that word a combination of what Buddhists use many words to point to — i.e., the Dhamma, kamma, nibbana, emptiness, dependent co-arising, etc. — and I no longer see as much of conflict between these symbols as I once did. The more literally they're grasped, the more I think they fail to point us in the right direction.

Two books that have helped me see things in this way are Karen Armstrong's A History of God and Paul Knitter's Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian. Both are enjoyable reads.

Kundo
  • reb1220reb1220 Explorer

@Shoshin said:
    The truth is 42...I thought everybody knew this :D ( it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything)

LOL! DON'T PANIC.....
    Or forget your towel.....