Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The element of suffering.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited January 2007 in Buddhism Basics
Everyone,

Some people never see the characteristic element of stress and suffering that is inherent to life. Perhaps it is because they have yet to partake of the necessary experiences needed to develop this insight, or perhaps it is because they merely choose not to acknowledge it. Birth, aging, sickness, and death; we are all subject to the laws of conditionality. Whatever has the nature of arising has the nature of ceasing, and that process is inherently stressful.

The truth is that we have no real control over the unsatisfactory and impermanent nature of our existence, and this is evident by the fact that we cannot say, "Let my body be thus, Let my body not be thus. Let my feelings be thus. Let my feelings not be thus. Let my perceptions be thus. Let my perceptions not be thus. Let my mental process be thus. Let my mental process not be thus. Let my consciousness be thus. Let my consciousness not be thus."

These things that we cling to as our own, these five phenomena that comprise our experience of the world, they arise from causes and conditions. When this is, that is. From the arising of this comes the arising of that. When this isn’t, that isn’t. From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that. Whether we may wish to see this aspect of our existence or not, the fact that whatever is suffering and subject to change is not worth clinging to remains.

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Thanks Jason. I needed that right now. The last line is great.
  • edited January 2007
    way i see it, most valuable lesson is accepting everything for what it is.. and learning to see it as just that.

it ourselves who add all the trash to it, that makes stress and misunderstanding