Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Waits and measures.....

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited January 2007 in Arts & Writings
Fede, I've been meaning to ask, what does "Verulamium" mean?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Verulamium is the Roman name for 'St Albans', one of the oldest established settlements in the UK. It sits on 'Watling Street' .

"Watling Street is the name given to an ancient trackway in England and Wales that was first used by the Celts mainly between the modern cities of Canterbury and St Albans. The Romans later paved the route, part of which is identified on the Antonine Itinerary as Iter III: "Item a Londinio ad portum Dubris" - from London to the port of Dover. The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon Wæcelinga Stræt, which has come to be understood as the A2 road from Dover to London, and then the A5 road from London to Wroxeter."

from here
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I don't want to get way off topic - but this came to mind when I was reading Fede's post.

I don't why...but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin09.htm

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    The Romans never worked in feet and inches. They worked in Metres. This imperial measurement is roughly 1 and-a-half metres.
    A far more rounded and logical measurement.
    Trust the Brits to snarl it up - !
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Ummm... I thought they started more with cubits...

-bf
    edited January 2007
    Of course, now I find out I'm wrong..... The Metric system seems to have been innovated and patented by a Frenchman. Even more bloomin' typical - !!

Sorry - are we REALLY off-topic??
  • edited January 2007
    If you call that praying, no.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    And how about the megalithic yard?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalithic_yard
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Thanks Fede!
    edited January 2007
    ......That if this discussion is going to continue (and why not?!) it deserves its own thread....and I wanted tokeep the 'Parying to Buddha' thread neat and on topic....:rolleyesc
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Oooh, that's a good one! Can you teach me how to pary to the Buddha too?

Palzang
  • edited January 2007
    Kinda sounds like some sort of Zen Samurai or Shaolin thing..................
    edited January 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    Oooh, that's a good one! Can you teach me how to pary to the Buddha too?

Palzang

'You put your left foot in, your left foot out.....'!