Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

BUDDHIST ART

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited January 2007 in Arts & Writings
From the conclusion of John Keats' Ode to a Grecian Urn:

When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
'

The Right Path is guided just as surely by esthetics as by ethics.

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Many years ago I came across a poem called Zenrin Kushu, or something like that. I remember I liked it so well that I typed it out on an old manual typewriter (was the 70s, before PCs). I have since lost it.

It had a wonderful line about two monks encountering each other in their separate forest journeys, and all they could do was to laugh and laugh as they crossed paths. As I recall, it was published in a book with all sorts of wonderful, stylized Japanese paintings.

Where does one find such a treasure these days?

I'm a bit of a bibliophile and am more interested in aesthetic presentations of Buddhist subjects, right now, than in the pedagogic or scriptural ones.

Although, I can see no reason why the two can't go hand-in-hand.

Buddha Delights.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Have you posted this on another thread, Nirvana? I thought I'd replied about the Zenrin Kushu. Did I dream it?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    It's all a dream, Simon...

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Have you posted this on another thread, Nirvana? I thought I'd replied about the Zenrin Kushu. Did I dream it?

Yes, it's true that I posted elsewhere (>The Lotus Lounge / Picture creates issue). I just really wanted this info badly. If it's against the rules to post twice, I'm sorry. BUT I THANK YOU SO MUCH for the link.
    Ah! I still have the old manual typewriter that my father gave me for my 16th birthday and, only this week, came across the first poem I ever published: it is on 'Banda' paper, in fading blue type, idiosyncratic and (thank you, Time) soon-to-be-illegible!

The Zenrin Kushu is pretty hard to find and expensive when you do, apparently! A search on Abe Books turned this up:
    http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Bo...0%26sortby%3D3

Who knows? It could turn up on eBay! Good hunting! From what I have seen, it is well worth the search. Thanks, Xrayman.

Simon

Wow 172.67 pounds, times $1.98 (conversion rate), that's $342.00. It's really true: Ars longa, vita brevis est.

Pilgrim, thanks, again, so much.

Can ANYONE, will anyone show us some more buddhapictures?
  • I have just picked up this amazing, yellow paged little book "The Gospel According to Zen" Beyond the death of God, in a second hand book shop for ZAR30.00 (US$4.18 or 2.60 British Pounds) that I am thoroughly enjoying reading. When I got to the pages, "The Zenrin" I looked it up on the Internet and came across this site. It truly is a gem. It is a "Mentor Book" Edited by Robert Sohl & Audrey Carr and was published in the United States by The New American Library, Inc in April, 1970. The one I have is a first printing in 1970. Copyright 1970 by Robert Sohl & Audrey Carr. I am an avid reader of Chan/Zen and am always in second hand bookshops. Keep looking, you may be as lucky as I am.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    momara - this thread is 4 years old.
    But you never know.....