Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another four Buddhist records go into the books

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
Another four Buddhist records go into the books
http://www.thanhniennews.com/entertaiments/?catid=6&newsid=24514

The Vietnam Guinness Book Center (Vietbooks) has honored four Vietnamese people for newly-recognized Buddhism-related records of academic and cultural significance.

The first prestigious honor was bestowed on Revered Monk Thich Minh Chau, known to have translated 17,251 pages of the Pali Sutra.

Chau reportedly translated all the main sutras belonging to the Buddhist’s Theravada doctrines, namely Truong Bo Kinh (Digha Nikaya), Trung Bo Kinh (Majjiima Nikaya), Tuong Ung Bo Kinh (Samyutta Nikaya), Tang Chi Bo Kinh (Anguttara Nikaya), and Tieu Bo Kinh (Khudaka Nikaya).

Besides, he also composed other Buddhism-related works like Phat Phap (Dharma) or Cac loi day cua Duc Phat ve hoa binh, hoa hop va nhan pham con nguoi (Some teachings of Lord Buddha on Peace Harmony and Human Dignity).

The second honor went to Revered Monk Thich Tri Tinh, hailed for having translated the largest quantity of the Mahayana Buddhist Sutras in Vietnam.

Popular translated works made by Tinh are Pham Vong (sa. brahmajāla), Hoa nghiem (sa. buddhāvataṃsaka), or Dai Bat nha Balamat-da (sa. mahāyānaśraddhotpāda-śāstra).

Dr. Le Manh Thich from the Vietnam Buddhist Shanga (VBS) was conferred on the third record for having composed 30 valuable Buddhism-related works.

The final record was dedicated to Revered Monk Thich Minh Canh, chief author of the Hue Quang Buddhism Dictionary – the largest-ever professional dictionary published in Vietnam.

Providing users with around 23,000 entries and 3,000 images, the record-holding dictionary has been launched with seven volumes, with the eight set to debut in the near future.

The recognition ceremony was organized Monday at the Ho Chi Minh City-based Thich Quang Duc Monastery on the occasion of the VBS’ annual session.

Source: Thanh Nien, Lao Dong – Compiled by An Dien

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    There seems to be something fundamentally wrong with handing out awards for "most sutras translated"! Sort of like the People's Favorites awards for Buddhists. I don't know, it's good that there is recognition, I suppose, but competing for awards for Buddhist achievement seems to me to miss the boat somehow. Eh?

Palzang
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Pal,

I felt the same way until I won my award. Now I just feel sorry for you.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    Which award, BF......?

Oh,yeh....That one......:nonono:

Does that one count, really?
    edited January 2007
    Hey - an award is an award and a Darwin Award is just as good as any other and I still feel sorry for Pally and his bitterness.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Yes, I am bitter. I was passed over for best supporting old fart for the 16th consecutive year!

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Fede

I love your new avatar! It's adorable! Is that little monk doing the Hustle??
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Hey, that's a picture of me! Don't make fun of it! Now do you see why I'm upset I got passed over for the award? I don't get no respect!

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    I always wondered who that "Palzang" character was on DragonballZ!

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    Oh, the Darwin Awards are my favorite:

And the 2006 DARWIN AWARD Winner is...

HIGH ON LIFE: "Take a deep breath..."

(3 June 2006, Florida) Two more candidates have thrown themselves
    into the running for a Darwin Award. The feet of Jason and Sara,
    both 21, were found protruding from a deflated, huge helium
    advertising balloon. Jason was a college student, and Sara
    attended community college, but apparently their education had
    glossed over the importance of oxygen.

When one breathes helium, the lack of oxygen in the bloodstream
    causes a rapid loss of consciousness. Some euthanasia experts
    advocate the use of helium to painlessly end one's life.
    The pair pulled down the 8' balloon, and climbed inside. Their
    last words consisted of high-pitched, incoherent giggling as they
    slowly passed out and passed into the hereafter.

Sheriff's deputies said the two were not victims of foul play. No
    drugs or alcohol were found. The medical examiner reported that
    helium inhalation was a significant factor in their deaths. A
    family member said "Sara was mischievous, to be honest. She liked
    fun and it cost her."
    edited January 2007
    Hey, beyotch!

It's good to see you.

-bf
    edited January 2007
    Ouch... tough article.

I remember passing out on helium once. I woke up in a puddle of grease on a restaurant kitchen floor. Good times!

And another interesting article...

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/cops-eye-love-rival-in-skydiving-death/20070125120609990001

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    Good to see you too!! I've been super busy lately - I have missed all of you. Hopefully, things will settle down a bit for me so I can visit more often.